2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was sitting watching TV bored and feeling lazy. Just hopped on the bike for 30 minutes. Feel so much better. Gotta put in the work to see results. No way even 6 months ago would I have done that.

Love this. Way to go dude.

It starts now, and I have my motivation.

aqu3a5yv.jpg

Running sucks, but it will be done.

Love this. Very cool motivation

Got up this morning at 6am and banged out another 20 minutes. 10 miles since last night. Down another 2 lbs. Total at 92.5 so far. Getting close to that 100lb mark. Some big big milestones coming up. I am pumped. Want to show up at the MC in the best shape of my life.

Got up this morning at 6am and banged out another 20 minutes. 10 miles since last night. Down another 2 lbs. Total at 92.5 so far. Getting close to that 100lb mark. Some big big milestones coming up. I am pumped. Want to show up at the MC in the best shape of my life.

With this attitude bro you absolutely will. I am so pumped for you

With this attitude bro you absolutely will. I am so pumped for you

I cant wait to see you down in Myrtle. You wont even recognize me. You saw me 2 weeks before I had surgery so it will be a pretty big difference my friend.

I cant wait to see you down in Myrtle. You wont even recognize me. You saw me 2 weeks before I had surgery so it will be a pretty big difference my friend.

I can't wait bro. I saw you in the Callaway video you made and you already didn't look like the same person. Never mind that you have 7 months plus to keep at it.

After my session last night I did 25 goblet squats, 25 dumbbell swings, 25 mountain climbers, and 25 jumping jacks. That got me huffing and puffing pretty hard. Not a bad finisher. No soreness in my legs, so I might be able to pull that off tonight after deads.

8.5 miles on the bike between last night and this morning. Did 25 minutes of yoga last night as well. I love this feeling of working hard. It's almost intoxicating. It's all I want to do right now.

8.5 miles on the bike between last night and this morning. Did 25 minutes of yoga last night as well. I love this feeling of working hard. It's almost intoxicating. It's all I want to do right now.

Dev continues to crush it. Half man, half amazing

Nice, Dev!! Well done dude. Keep it up!

Way to go dude...in the zone!

Day one of T25 down. Loving the burn, hating the feeling of not being able to do even the modifiers for some exercises.
This workout is WAY different than my normal 2-hour gym crawl.

Three mile run this morning. Felt good. Cold mornings, just feels nice to get out and warm yourself up on the roads. I'm taking December off from CrossFit to deal with some nagging injuries, and I don't think I'll return to a formal box any time soon. Don't need the drama, I can put the money towards golf, and the Army is sending me to Phoenix next month to get certified as a CrossFit level 1 instructor, so I'll be designing a CF program for my company's PT-improvement. Less equipment than a regular gym, but so what. Going to really focus on mobility, flexibility, and endurance this next couple of months. Would love to lose a few pounds and get back down to 150 or so. Much as I love muscles, they're getting to where they're affecting my golf swing.

Three mile run this morning. Felt good. Cold mornings, just feels nice to get out and warm yourself up on the roads. I'm taking December off from CrossFit to deal with some nagging injuries, and I don't think I'll return to a formal box any time soon. Don't need the drama, I can put the money towards golf, and the Army is sending me to Phoenix next month to get certified as a CrossFit level 1 instructor, so I'll be designing a CF program for my company's PT-improvement. Less equipment than a regular gym, but so what. Going to really focus on mobility, flexibility, and endurance this next couple of months. Would love to lose a few pounds and get back down to 150 or so. Much as I love muscles, they're getting to where they're affecting my golf swing.

Nothing like a good run on a cold morning. I had a few buddies that did the level 1 CrossFit thing through the Marine Corps and they learned a decent amount. It wasn't anything crazy but they had some pretty good workouts when they got back. The workouts were really good for groups as well which I'm sure will benefit you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its usually the second day when the legs start screaming :p
I have legs today at the gym. I will be a grouchy mofo on Wednesday lol

After my session last night I did 25 goblet squats, 25 dumbbell swings, 25 mountain climbers, and 25 jumping jacks. That got me huffing and puffing pretty hard. Not a bad finisher. No soreness in my legs, so I might be able to pull that off tonight after deads.

Whaaa... nagging injuries and crossfit? That never ever happens...

Meh, I chose to keep going, and chose not to scale. One was a pulled groin muscle that stayed sore, but livable, and the other was rotator cuff soreness that I'd be alright with if not for the fact that it was affecting my golf swing. Either injury by itself wouldn't have been too bad, but combined they made certain exercises pretty miserable, such as the snatch or overhead squats.

I know not everyone's a fan of CrossFit, but the people who make it look bad are the people who go 6 times a week and spend the rest of their waking hours bemoaning how sore they are, but how much better they feel, no matter how contradictory those two things sound. Rest is as important as work.

It's not a religion. It's not even really a regimen, per se. For me it's a fitness philosophy that gets some good results in less time and is much more fun than regular Army PT. The theory is sound, even if the cultists aren't.

[RANT] From my experience this happens when people don't put enough time into the basic ("foundation") movements and start loading the weight. I've seen people do ugly 435lb deadlifts, or an Rx clean/snatch progression, and majorly tweak something because they weren't sticking to form.

Also, kipping is one of the biggest shoulder debilitators. When you can do 25 strict pull-ups, you'll have the ligament and tendon strength to kip sans injury.
[/RANT]

Meh, I chose to keep going, and chose not to scale. One was a pulled groin muscle that stayed sore, but livable, and the other was rotator cuff soreness that I'd be alright with if not for the fact that it was affecting my golf swing. Either injury by itself wouldn't have been too bad, but combined they made certain exercises pretty miserable, such as the snatch or overhead squats.

I know not everyone's a fan of CrossFit, but the people who make it look bad are the people who go 6 times a week and spend the rest of their waking hours bemoaning how sore they are, but how much better they feel, no matter how contradictory those two things sound. Rest is as important as work.

It's not a religion. It's not even really a regimen, per se. For me it's a fitness philosophy that gets some good results in less time and is much more fun than regular Army PT. The theory is sound, even if the cultists aren't.

[RANT] From my experience this happens when people don't put enough time into the basic ("foundation") movements and start loading the weight. I've seen people do ugly 435lb deadlifts, or an Rx clean/snatch progression, and majorly tweak something because they weren't sticking to form.

Also, kipping is one of the biggest shoulder debilitators. When you can do 25 strict pull-ups, you'll have the ligament and tendon strength to kip sans injury.
[/RANT]

Do not get me wrong. Crossfit can be a fantastic program. If used and managed properly. Rest and recovery is important. Overtraining is way too easy to do when somebody gets "the bug". I have never done crossfit, but from what I know and have seen, a lot of those lifts are somewhat advanced. When somebody who has never been in a gym tries to to hang clean to push presses, bad things can happen. Talking to a friend who has done crossfit, he told me there is a large emphasis on completing the set. Which is wrong IMO.

Paladin, I am not saying you're one of those Crossfit nutjobs. Not by any stretch. You have a very advanced understanding what you're doing. One of the most knowledgeable IMO. The "culture of Crossfit" is one of the problems with that program. Unfortunately, it is way too easy for some to get sucked into it.

BACK AT IT LAST NIGHT. 3 miles on the mill and a brutal chest and back workout. Hoping to run 4 miles today and maybe legs.

This is a pretty honest assessment to me. There are absolutely some positives of Crossfit. But you hit the nail on the head right here. You shouldn't be (IMO) doing Crossfit more than 3/4 times a week MAX. And 4 times a week is really stretching it.

BACK AT IT LAST NIGHT. 3 miles on the mill and a brutal chest and back workout. Hoping to run 4 miles today and maybe legs.

I did MGS2.0 Phase 1 Week 3 Day 1 last night. Chest and back - FATALITY.

I did MGS2.0 Phase 1 Week 3 Day 1 last night. Chest and back - FATALITY.

hahahaha - Like I said, I am doing some other things first before I tackle that program. Still on deck and looking to January as my start date. I want to properly train before training

hahahaha - Like I said, I am doing some other things first before I tackle that program. Still on deck and looking to January as my start date. I want to properly train before training

You're not dumb dude. That first phase is intense. Those 8 rep sets on the big bar exercises are brutal. I don't know how much you looked at it. But every session is about 14-16 sets ( not including the warm ups). Total. So those last few weeks when it's 2 or 1 set of the big bar lifts, it's 4 sets of the support lifts. 4 supersets of standing dumbbell press and hanging rows killed me last night.

Plus, on days 1 & 3, there are diamond pushups and dips to close the sessions. Of course they are listed as AMAP (as many as possible). It's pretty silly when you're crying just trying to finish 8 dips.

This is why, IMHO, the CrossFit football/strength/endurance people do it right. Four times a week maximum.

Do not get me wrong. Crossfit can be a fantastic program. If used and managed properly. Rest and recovery is important. ... The "culture of Crossfit" is one of the problems with that program. Unfortunately, it is way too easy for some to get sucked into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back