2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took ages to read everything I've missed during the past 18 hours...you guys sure do talk a lot! :D

I hope that the singles format still stays as part of the tournament. I think that modified alternate shot could be an interesting addition: both players hit a tee shot, then they pick the best one (just like scramble), but then the team plays alternate shot for the rest of the hole.

Love the discussions!!! Add me to the list of alt shot is a tough format to crack. The biggest thing that I think most people are leaving out is that only one shot is played after the drive all the way in. I'm coming to play golf, and as much golf in this format as I can play. Now I'm hitting 2 shots less every hole. Very hard to get a groove going but again that is just me.

The only semi negative thoughts I have about alt. shot is that it will be tougher to get into a groove as you are hitting half has many shots and putts.

Alt.shot isn't my favorite format, but it's of course fun, as it is golf. I like to play full rounds, and alt.shot isn't a full round for me. But, I've played it before, I like it more than many other formats, and I will not cave under that pressure, I will not care for my or my teammates bad shots, and I will play some awesome golf. I love pressure. Bring it on.

32 guys with rangefinders, I sure hope the pace of play doesn't lag.

Never. I can pace on course and count yards/meters walking from point A to point B (ball) for a minute or two, or I can check the distance in a couple of seconds with my rangefinder. :D

I think that plays a big part of it. But frankly that is about the team and if it is all about hitting one club in the bag, then an event like this is not heading down the right path. That would be about working with your partner to figure out the best scenarios.

I have to say the more I hear the gripes, the more I think this format might work because it is supposed to be about working together with a certain pressure. Is it perfect? No, but frankly no format is. Nobody knows what distance we are playing from, or frankly what courses will feature what formats. That is for a later date.

I understand that it might make things more difficult, but is that necessarily a bad thing in this event?

No. Making things difficult or creating pressure at the event is most likely something that will make people cherish their memories even more. People tend to remember "hard times", tough situations better that easy and calm things.

No format is perfect, and there are so many variables.

Here's my opinion.

I don't care what format you all choose to play. But please match people up with handicaps in mind. Especially if there is a singles match. My Sunday round with Amol and Jarret was one of the funnest rounds I have ever experienced! But they killed me. I think I only beat both of them on the same hole once, and that was my shot of the year jar the cup birdie shot that I didn't see but only heard it, on a par three I missed the green on. Other than that, by the time we made the turn, I was just trying to stretch the round out as long as I could. Too many bogeys against two guys that were grinding out more pars than bogeys.

I know it was a luck of the draw thing, but maybe what I am saying is to get rid of the blind draw matchups.

I would not trade the round for anything because these two were some of the nicest guys I ever played with and can't remember a time recently that I laughed so much during a round. Whoever plays against or with these guys is in for a treat.

Couldn't the matchups be made by captains (and help with the team if necessary) to create a strategic element to the event?

i say we throw in a round of pick-up basketball...that should liven things up a bit.

If Alt Shot will be used. What will the golf ball situation be? If you are a Callaway Staffer partnered with a Cleveland Staffer, are you going to be changing out your ball for each shot or will there be video of the Callaway staffer playing a Srixon ball?

Sorry, off topic from this morning but where did the Callaway MC thread go? Was it merged into this one?

Couldn't the matchups be made by captains (and help with the team if necessary) to create a strategic element to the event?
It was done that way the first year. The blind draw thing where handicaps didn't matter was something that was tried out last year. Teammates were chosen in MC 2.0, as were the tee times (when you or your team went out), but the matchups were not.

but honestly, even if you play poor golf or get beat...and you're gonna be down in the dumps and sad and defeated or mad and upset, please don't come to the Morgan Cup.
I hope that wasn't directed at my comment. I have never mentioned my opinion on it until today, and while I don't think I was complaining, it sounded like opinions were being thrown out and I wanted to voice mine.

Sorry, off topic from this morning but where did the Callaway MC thread go? Was it merged into this one?

Yes, each OEM thread was merged into this one.

We should use the standard equipment threads to discuss that type of stuff where it applies.

I hope that wasn't directed at my comment. I have never mentioned my opinion on it until today, and while I don't think I was complaining, it sounded like opinions were being thrown out and I wanted to voice mine.

not at all Mike. was just a general statement to all participants. there was lots of hinting at people getting beat badly and apologizing, etc....

just stating that if you get beat while playing in the Morgan Cup or you don't play your best at times, there's just no room for a poor attitude. that's all.

If Alt Shot will be used. What will the golf ball situation be? If you are a Callaway Staffer partnered with a Cleveland Staffer, are you going to be changing out your ball for each shot or will there be video of the Callaway staffer playing a Srixon ball?

That's a good point Dean, and if we do switch out the balls, how do you make sure you replicate the lie of your partners ball? I'm thinking a sand shot, rough shot. Hell even a beside the tree on a pine cone shot!

That's a good point Dean, and if we do switch out the balls, how do you make sure you replicate the lie of your partners ball? I'm thinking a sand shot, rough shot. Hell even a beside the tree on a pine cone shot!

Easy, there's different balls on every team, but still at least two of the same on every team..so, the Srixon guys play with Srixon guys and so on :D

What about some type of Quota format?

I think you would complete the hole with whichever ball you teed off with. And in all honesty, I don't think the video is going to be so close that it shows the name of the ball. I understand that with yellow balls you could make out the OEM by the shade, but given it's the format I don't see it as a big deal.

Easy, there's different balls on every team, but still at least two of the same on every team..so, the Srixon guys play with Srixon guys and so on :D

I could see that, even the Bridgestone and Cobra guys could play with each other since they're both Bridgestone balls. Hopefully that's not a big deal though.

Side note: Say you're not allowed to change out balls. If you get used to playing the ball that you get fitted to, and then have to play another teammate's ball half the round that may not be suited for your game; that could really throw someone off. If you're used to hitting a B-330 and go to a Callaway or Srixon model, could change things.

I think you would complete the hole with whichever ball you teed off with. And in all honesty, I don't think the video is going to be so close that it shows the name of the ball. I understand that with yellow balls you could make out the OEM by the shade, but given it's the format I don't see it as a big deal.
Dude, you've clearly never witnessed my snake-like camera skills.

I couldnt agree with this post anymore than the amount of agreeing I want to agree with this post. Sure alt shot could be cool. But people are not really thinking this through. Its quite hilarious to be honest.

Maybe a scramble for a drive, pick the best ball, then you play best ball from there.
I'm a huge fan of the shamble.
I'm not a fan of Alternate shot if one player is having a bad day it can make it very hard on their partner. Scramble is the way to go, it way a lot of fun this year
Agreed, scramble is by far the most fun I have in team competition, it really takes some of the pressure off, but in the end you still have to pull off the shot!

I could see that, even the Bridgestone and Cobra guys could play with each other since they're both Bridgestone balls. Hopefully that's not a big deal though.

Side note: Say you're not allowed to change out balls. If you get used to playing the ball that you get fitted to, and then have to play another teammate's ball half the round that may not be suited for your game; that could really throw someone off. If you're used to hitting a B-330 and go to a Callaway or Srixon model, could change things.

i'd have no issues playing a Srixon ball! but seriously, a very valid point you brought up there...

Dude, you've clearly never witnessed my snake-like camera skills.

careful Jman...you mention snakes and you'll scare ddec away.

Why are so many people trying to push this event in so many different ways? Its very clear certain people dont want certain formats but lets just let it happen and enjoy it when it does. And if youre worried about a certain format, hit the gym, hit the range, hit the putting green and make yourself the power player.

Why are so many people trying to push this event in so many different ways? Its very clear certain people dont want certain formats but lets just let it happen and enjoy it when it does. And if youre worried about a certain format, hit the gym, hit the range, hit the putting green and make yourself the power player.

I don't think anyone is really trying to push it in different directions. This is a conversation that IMO is healthy for the event. I think it's great that many players and supporters have opinions on it.

I believe there is one problem that prevents this for some people. Time.

People are giving opinions and throwing out ideas, and the conversation has been welcomed by the organizers.

careful Jman...you mention snakes and you'll scare ddec away.
This is very true. Haha
I don't think there's anything wrong with healthy conversation myself, I know I'm not "in it" but I've sure enjoyed reading it.

Yall are working yourselves into a tizzy. Put all this format stuff to the side, you're getting lost in details. Work on your game, rep your sponsor, and show up ready for the show. Let the powers that be worry about everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back