2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my opinion.

I don't care what format you all choose to play. But please match people up with handicaps in mind. Especially if there is a singles match. My Sunday round with Amol and Jarret was one of the funnest rounds I have ever experienced! But they killed me. I think I only beat both of them on the same hole once, and that was my shot of the year jar the cup birdie shot that I didn't see but only heard it, on a par three I missed the green on. Other than that, by the time we made the turn, I was just trying to stretch the round out as long as I could. Too many bogeys against two guys that were grinding out more pars than bogeys.

I know it was a luck of the draw thing, but maybe what I am saying is to get rid of the blind draw matchups.

I would not trade the round for anything because these two were some of the nicest guys I ever played with and can't remember a time recently that I laughed so much during a round. Whoever plays against or with these guys is in for a treat.

I tend to agree with this if it's possible. Playing against three guys of similar ability on Sunday made for a very competitive match and I liked that.

The only semi negative thoughts I have about alt. shot is that it will be tougher to get into a groove as you are hitting half has many shots and putts.

It's a different groove than a reg. round just as a scramble is. You get used to it.

How long does it take everyone on average to play 18 holes with cart? A scramble? It has been my experience that a scramble is an hour to hour and half longer than a regular round for me. Atl. Shot is about the same amount of time. You still have to hit a quality shot, gamesmanship comes into play strategy comes into play and your brain comes into play. I'm lobbying for it because it will grow the event and test everyone's metal. I think it's healthy and new. Ultimately I'm but a cog in the wheel we call the Morgan cup.

Team paradise ain't losing no matter what JB, GG and the Captains decide. :D

Interesting........I know that thought sounds familiar...........:alien:

hahahah I'm working here dude. (skimadmitting)

wow, gone for a few hours and this thing blows up, just my few cents

1. I have a feeling that the masses in this event are going to improve before next July to make things even more interesting.
2. Ive never played ATL shot, but I can certainly understand the plusses/minuses of each that have been discussed.
3. Dont really care too much about the format, just want to golf and have a good time with my team and whoever I am paired up with that day.
4. #TeamAlbatrossFTW!

What a great conversation and we so much appreciate everybody's input. It means more than you know.

i don't envy the captains and JB/Morgan for having to make the format decision. it's a tough one indeed.
there are no perfect formats, not everyone can win, not everyone can play good golf every day, but everyone can have fun.
and with 32 golfers, i think it's practically unavoidable...someone will be on the wrong end of a beat down. but trying to avoid that is the best thing you can do for the event.

but honestly, even if you play poor golf or get beat...and you're gonna be down in the dumps and sad and defeated or mad and upset, please don't come to the Morgan Cup.

I saw we play Alt shot, and I pair myself up with Dan. I will take the entire round to explain why I enjoy playing Alt shot.

And then he will punch me.

Depending on the tee box, True Blue could be fairly forgiving for alternate shot. Lots of room to move around there on some holes.

I think Best Ball is more conducive to pressure if the match-ups are even. I felt a lot of pressure right out of the gate compared to the scramble. Hasn't really always been that way when it was high/low vs high/low.

I felt alot more pressure in the Best Ball format than I did in the scramble and the pressure got worse when I made double on the first hole....I did settle in..but there was much more pressure to try and help Dean out.

I agree with this. I think that True Blue could set up well for a modified alt shot. This year I felt more pressure in the scramble then I did in the best ball. Year one it was the opposite.

I don't know why you felt less pressure in Best Ball...cause I felt a ton....LOL

Agreed. Look at what some guys did last year. Smalls, TBT, SW and others, worked their tails off to be playing great golf by time they hit MB. Heck I think TBT was around a 17 HDCP when he was selected and he walked on to True Blue sub 13.

Yeah, but I have gone up and little and I am stuck there now...LOL

I felt alot more pressure in the Best Ball format than I did in the scramble and the pressure got worse when I made double on the first hole....I did settle in..but there was much more pressure to try and help Dean out.

I don't know why you felt less pressure in Best Ball...cause I felt a ton....LOL

I dunno TBT, I think there is no more pressurized shot than standing on the tee in a 2 person scramble after seeing your partner put one OB right in front of you. In Alt shot, at least you know that there is a chance your opponent hits a bad shot too. Not very likely in a 2 person scramble.

Regardless of what happens, I plan on enjoying an ice cold Natural Light after the round anyways. Win, lose, or choke.

I want to also add one thing. We are over 7 months away from this event. There is not a person here, with proper effort and timing that could not be a lower index in my opinion. It is certainly not demanded, but with proper training and coaching, I believe anybody in this event can go there.

Oh, no worries about that. I have every intention of showing up significantly lower than I am now. If I don't, it won't be from lack of effort.

I dunno TBT, I think there is no more pressurized shot than standing on the tee in a 2 person scramble after seeing your partner put one OB right in front of you. In Alt shot, at least you know that there is a chance your opponent hits a bad shot too. Not very likely in a 2 person scramble.

If my team shoots -10 or +10 in any of the matches, I plan on enjoying an ice cold Natural Light after the round anyways.

This is true and it happened on more than one occasion where your scramble partner hits a bad shot and now it's all on you...I agree with that statement and the ice cold beer statement too!

I think if you feel that the mental/pressure part of the weekend is going to hold you back. Work on that just like you would your short game or drills. I know there is a thread that talks about some really good books for that. That goes for anyone, not just people in the Morgan Cup. I bet you enjoy the rounds more if your not so nervous about the next shot!

I saw we play Alt shot, and I pair myself up with Dan. I will take the entire round to explain why I enjoy playing Alt shot.

And then he will punch me.

Funny guy. I'm sure you're a blast to play alt-shot with.

A. You played fine during the 6 holes of best ball. Picking me up when I became pocket on hole 5 was a huge early point in the match. We were 2 up and all of a sudden that lead jumped to 3. Looking back, we lost the next hole so it turned in to being a huge point. Exactly what partners are there for.

B. I was more confident heading in to that match. I thought Caledonia set up well for my game. Plus you played well in the AM so I knew you would be fine.

C. But you won't be stuck for long. I bet you will be down around 10, maybe lower come July.

I'm not a fan of Alternate shot if one player is having a bad day it can make it very hard on their partner. Scramble is the way to go, it way a lot of fun this year

A. You played fine during the 6 holes of best ball. Picking me up when I became pocket on hole 5 was a huge early point in the match. We were 2 up and all of a sudden that lead jumped to 3. Looking back, we lost the next hole so it turned in to being a huge point. Exactly what partners are there for.

B. I was more confident heading in to that match. I thought Caledonia set up well for my game. Plus you played well in the AM so I knew you would be fine.

C. But you won't be stuck for long. I bet you will be down around 10, maybe lower come July.

This is good stuff guys. I feel the same way when i play best ball. Especially when I play with a higher handicap and start slipping a bit. Motivation in such a big way.

I'm not a fan of Alternate shot if one player is having a bad day it can make it very hard on their partner. Scramble is the way to go, it way a lot of fun this year

Same can be said for a scramble, correct?

If I look back at my 4 team matches that I've played I think there is only 1 that probably would have really been a lot different with alt shot. Both scrambles would probably have been in the same range. I think the best ball/scramble afternoon would have been similar last year. However I think the best ball match the year before would have been over a lot earlier. That match was 2 on 1 and the 1 struggled big time for 9 holes.

I think my comments came accross as me putting down higher HDCPs in alt shot. That is not the case. and thats not what my points were. Just wanted to clarify that I am not knocking anyones abilities or saying that mine are too good for a high capper.

I think my comments came accross as me putting down higher HDCPs in alt shot. That is not the case. and thats not what my points were. Just wanted to clarify that I am not knocking anyones abilities or saying that mine are too good for a high capper.

I wasn't catching that drift at all, buddy.

It was just that more serious side of you coming through buddy.

I'll throw this out there though, I wouldnt mind seeing some 9 hole matches instead of 18 so we get to play with/against more Morgan Cuppers

In a two man team format it takes both players. So in a team format it takes both players. Whether it be best ball, scramble, alt., shamble...whatever. If one shows and the other doesn't in any format the pressure lies squarely on the other teammate.

That doesn't change if the team format changes. You both bare the burden of the match, good or bad. This thinking that you have two shots at it in a scramble is a false sense of security. The ball bounces both ways. You both could jack it out if bounds or chuck your seconds, on every hole. You both could hit every green and miss every birdie putt and get beat one up. The point is that in team formats, 'it takes two to make the thing go right, it's takes two to make it out of sight'

I'll throw this out there though, I wouldnt mind seeing some 9 hole matches instead of 18 so we get to play with/against more Morgan Cuppers

Thank you, if we ran with this every team could play every team and leave nothing to chance. Boom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back