2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good point Chunky.

To everyone else: would you rather be the first group to tee off in front of EVERYONE, or would you rather feel those jitters a little longer but tee of later in front of fewer people?

I was in the second group off and I think that might have been perfect....I didnt have to be first...but I didnt have to wait around and let all my nerves build up either. Although if you are in one of the last groups then there are alot less people there to watch you incase you do screw up...HA

While it is a new experience, it is still golf. It is still the game that we all love. It is still around all of your friends. And when you crush one down the middle, everyone claps haha

Heck they clap even when you don't pipe one down the middle.......Here is a Morgan Cup veteran tip for you rookies......when the camera is around, don't react to a bad shot, the camera cant follow the ball...so swing...hold the finish and twirl the club like you just knocked it inside of 6 inches....then once the camera is off you can grumble.....your all welcome!

For Past MC Participants I have a budgeting question.

Can you give me some insight on rough numbers on what you spent on the trip?
I guess I'm mainly looking for lodging costs per night, because I can pull the course rates for practice rounds of their website.

The budget is a little tighter in 2013 so I'm starting to put money back for July already and would like to have a goal amount to have saved.

Thanks!

As several below me said, the condos were $159 per night divided by the number of people in them....the first night in our condo it was just me and WCBM so we paid $80 each...$40 each the rest of the nights except the last night because WCBM flew out late on Sunday so there were just 3 of us.....they are ridiculously cheap when you think about it........Thanks to Freddie who negotiated the rates and set all of the lodging up for all of us last year and he didn't even get to go!! Dude, is a class act!

I think it was $160 total for four nights per person. Those were the rates per person in a 4 person villa. Villas were $160 a night. If there were only two people, it was 80 bucks a night each.

Yep

The cost of the Villas was $159 per night but they sleep 4. So the cost is split amongst the villa mates. If you stay 4 nights it $159 per person for the stay.

Thanks to you again bro for hooking us up and doing all the work on the lodging!

Is it 4 rooms? Or 2 rooms with 2 beds each?

each was a little different....couples stayed in ones with 2 rooms and a queen bed in each, ours had 2 rooms with 2 full size beds in each..but 64C had 3 rooms 2 with queen beds and one with 2 full size beds...and the furniture in it was much better than ours......but our balcony overlooked the 17th green too.

They all have full kitchens, washer and dryers, dishwashers...so you could cook in them if you wanted.........but you have to provide your own "GARBAGE SACKS!", right Jake...hahahaha

Unless it's a team match you are playing with ddec and he is in the trees. Dude will put it inside the other guy.

dont forget about off bridges...haha.....man we got up and down from some crazy places in that match...hahaha

I want to ask a question about match play style of golf and I thought here would be a good place as that is the style of scoring at the MC. I am a complete novice to this style of golf as I have never played in any tournaments, been part of a club or anything like that. I am having alot of fun and learning quite alot as I incorporate this style of scoring as I get out there with friends. One thing I want to ask those more knowledgeable with this format than I is when is the "correct time" to give up on a hole? Say your tee shot goes in the water and the next one goes OB, and the person you are playing against pipes one down the middle, do you pick up and move on or is that "incorrect"? Thanks in advance for any insight....

WR I was also a bit of a novice with the match play type format last year. I didn't play much of it leading up to the MC either as I didn't really have anyone near me that could get out a lot. Yorkems business went through the roof so his golf was curtailed quite a bit. I really would not worry too much about the format. It's just golf. Play your ball and you will do fine.

As far as when to give up I was pretty lenient last year. I am a bit of a grinder and on Saturday that is how I played. You are not out of a hole until the other person is in the hole. There was 1 hole that TMex/Hawk were in the fairway and Kelly and I were dead in the woods. Those guys hit their next shot close and I looked at our shot and saw nothing. I chipped one to the left of the green to give us a good shot at getting up and down. Kelly then stepped up and hit the greatest shot I ever saw to 4 feet. We still missed the putt and lost the hole lol.

Sunday though, I was hobbled by a golf ball sized lump on my foot so walking was not fun. I decided that I was going to concede the hole if I thought I had no chance. 4th hole is a par 5 with water. Dean and Hanks piped one down the middle and my tee shot went about 10 yards and straight left. Did not actually go in the water though and so I had a shot. Hit the next one in the water. Picked up and rode the rest of the hole. I did that on another hole as well. I wanted to keep my energy and confidence up and so I just picked up if I felt the hole was going to be awful. Sounds stupid but it worked for me.

So in essence what I am saying is that there are 2 ways of playing. Grind it out or don't grind it out. It's up to you how you want to play. No shame in knowing your game and saying that the hole is lost.

dont forget about off bridges...haha.....man we got up and down from some crazy places in that match...hahaha
Yeah, off bridges, anywhere! ANd then there was this fool who was sinking the longest putts. I don't like you so much either, TBT! haha

So in essence what I am saying is that there are 2 ways of playing. Grind it out or don't grind it out. It's up to you how you want to play. No shame in knowing your game and saying that the hole is lost.

Chunky and everyone else pretty much hit it.
I guess my 2 cents on the subject would be to don't give in too soon. Anything can happen to anybody in golf.

I want to ask a question about match play style of golf and I thought here would be a good place as that is the style of scoring at the MC. I am a complete novice to this style of golf as I have never played in any tournaments, been part of a club or anything like that. I am having alot of fun and learning quite alot as I incorporate this style of scoring as I get out there with friends. One thing I want to ask those more knowledgeable with this format than I is when is the "correct time" to give up on a hole? Say your tee shot goes in the water and the next one goes OB, and the person you are playing against pipes one down the middle, do you pick up and move on or is that "incorrect"? Thanks in advance for any insight....
The good news is that you will pair with someone. It's a group decision at that point to give away a putt or make them putt it out. There is nothing in the rules that says you have to give a putt to anyone. You can make your opponents play every hole to the end. Obviously if you have two putts to win the hole and they are putting for bogie, give the putt. There is gamesmanship in match play. For instance, 3 and 4foot putts get more difficult as the round wears on. Give these putts early on and make them putt at the end. It's tough to make a pressure putt when you're expecting a conceded putt.
That's a steal! I got a chance to check out the villas when we were at true blue they are pretty nice and I like they have a kitchen and stuff. I might actually make breakfast and lunch to save some cash.
The kitchen will be used in my villa. I'm not eat'n out everyday.
Chunky and everyone else pretty much hit it.
I guess my 2 cents on the subject would be to don't give in too soon. Anything can happen to anybody in golf.
The hole is never over until your walking to the next tee.

I love the 1st tee Saturday AM at the Morgan Cup. There are very few situations you will ever face on the course that are like that. You have 30+ sets of eyes on you, plus the camera. Morgan rattles of names that make you chuckle and think to yourself "This is it, don't mess up." Then all of a sudden you hear your name. You put the peg in the ground, go through your routine, stand over the ball. Think to yourself "Am I ready?" Well you better be. A few seconds later, just like that the moment is over. Feel free to exhale.

You looked so calm last year too, great thoughts on it.
You get more time for drinking and eating deep fried hot dogs without the family being there haha

Oh don't forget the late night par 3 course

deep fried hot dogs FTW!

Good to know guys. I am also starting to worry a little bit about budgeting aspects. I want to go lone wolf on this w/o the help of my parents. Gonna be tough, but I think I can do it.

You can do it JT. It will mean even more to you knowing you did it all yourself.

The good news is that you will pair with someone. It's a group decision at that point to give away a putt or make them putt it out. There is nothing in the rules that says you have to give a putt to anyone. You can make your opponents play every hole to the end. Obviously if you have two putts to win the hole and they are putting for bogie, give the putt. There is gamesmanship in match play. For instance, 3 and 4foot putts get more difficult as the round wears on. Give these putts early on and make them putt at the end. It's tough to make a pressure putt when you're expecting a conceded putt.

The kitchen will be used in my villa. I'm not eat'n out everyday.

The hole is never over until your walking to the next tee.

Freddie's Caribbean Jerk wings again?

Match play is a blast! One bad shot doesn't ruin your round

It's true, one bad hole even, you could take a 10 or concede it and still beat a person in Match possibly ending with the higher score at the end of the day. Each hole is a new slate.

I really liked match play last year. At one point Biggsy gave me a putt but Coolbreeze didn't. It was the first time I played that way and I thought it was really fun.

This. I love Match Play even though I very rarely get to play it. One of my golfing buddies and I will play it from time to time. I was very excited when I looked the Indiana Golf Assoc. tournament Schedule and seen the state Match Play tournanament.

That might be a good way for those looking to play some tournaments before the MC. Look at your State Golf Assoc. website and see if they have any open tournaments. Indiana has both open and a stroke play series. The open events are 6.4 hdpc and lower and are for both Pro's and Amatuers and the stroke play srises is Amatuer only and is open to any hdcp. So that might be a good way for those looking for tournament experience prior to the MC.

It's true, one bad hole even, you could take a 10 or concede it and still beat a person in Match possibly ending with the higher score at the end of the day. Each hole is a new slate.

I realized this yesterday. I played a terrible round. had two bad blow-up holes on each side. Based on stroke play my buddy kicked my butt, based on match play we were all square through 18. I am really liking match play style. :D

Match play is all about the next shot. The ability to get past the bad shots mentally is key. I think it's also key to understand the psychological side of it, being able to stick one in tight to change momentum or pipe me down the middle to force your opponent to have to respond is all part of it. Great way to play

In our afternoon best ball match last year. Between Tim and I one of us was in our pocket on 3 of the first 5 holes. The good thing is each time that happened, the partner was able to pick it up for the team. That's what is great about team match play, you can really ham and egg the other team. Nobody has to go out and be Colsaerts and win it by yourself.

Yeah, that's the thing I love about match play. In stroke play, one 8 on your card can put you so far behind the other guy you never catch up. In match play, it's just one hole.

I realized this yesterday. I played a terrible round. had two bad blow-up holes on each side. Based on stroke play my buddy kicked my butt, based on match play we were all square through 18. I am really liking match play style. :D

Yeah, that's the thing I love about match play. In stroke play, one 8 on your card can put you so far behind the other guy you never catch up. In match play, it's just one hole.

Now in our league last year, we would give a bonus point to the person who carded the lower overall round after 9, that way it rewarded you for a good round, which I think is fair, but it still evens the playing field quite a bit.

I really liked match play last year. At one point Biggsy gave me a putt but Coolbreeze didn't. It was the first time I played that way and I thought it was really fun.

That can happen more than you would expect. You can be putting for par to halve the hole with one guy, but the other guy is already in with a birdie. Or he had a bad hole and made a double or picked up earlier. Or all the guy needs is to tie you on a hole to win the match and he is in the hole in four and you are putting for four.

It will happen more often when you have Sunday singles with four in a group and you are playing match play against three people.

Please refresh my memory, were the individual matches stroke or match play?

Everything has been match play.

Yeah, but I think you are reading more into it than needs to be!

it doesn't matter either way. it should be interesting this year with 4 teams. really can't wait to see how the rounds and matches are going to shape up.

In our afternoon best ball match last year. Between Tim and I one of us was in our pocket on 3 of the first 5 holes. The good thing is each time that happened, the partner was able to pick it up for the team. That's what is great about team match play, you can really ham and egg the other team. Nobody has to go out and be Colsaerts and win it by yourself.

Yep guess who was in his pocket more.....me or Dean? I did manage to win one of those holes by myself....hehehe

Everything has been match play.

look at that past tense sentence!

I noticed that too.....I think he just likes to mess with us cause he knows stuff like that will send us into a crazy spiral of possibilities....hehehe

Yep guess who was in his pocket more.....me or Dean? I did manage to win one of those holes by myself....hehehe

I noticed that too.....I think he just likes to mess with us cause he knows stuff like that will send us into a crazy spiral of possibilities....hehehe

Who JB? lol its still awesome to think of all the possibilities of what could come out down the road with this. we really haven't even scratched the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back