2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I look at it is in a group that large, SOMEONE has to shank it. If it ends up being me, then so be it. So I really don't worry about the pressure.
you say that now! Wait till they call your name.

For Past MC Participants I have a budgeting question.

Can you give me some insight on rough numbers on what you spent on the trip?
I guess I'm mainly looking for lodging costs per night, because I can pull the course rates for practice rounds of their website.

The budget is a little tighter in 2013 so I'm starting to put money back for July already and would like to have a goal amount to have saved.

Thanks!

I think it was $160 total for four nights per person. Those were the rates per person in a 4 person villa. Villas were $160 a night. If there were only two people, it was 80 bucks a night each.

Some the guys went to a par 3 course near by last year. I wasn't there but i've heard stories about it being great fun

That was my only time not golfing the entire weekend. I went and got hammered instead

The cost of the Villas was $159 per night but they sleep 4. So the cost is split amongst the villa mates. If you stay 4 nights it $159 per person for the stay.

You get more time for drinking and eating deep fried hot dogs without the family being there haha

Oh don't forget the late night par 3 course

That's the plan! :D

Sounds like a solid plan Castor. They have a local tour for players who are registered at an 8 hcp or lower. I'm hoping to shave a few strokes and play a few tourneys pre MC.

I hope you succeed!

The cost of the Villas was $159 per night but they sleep 4. So the cost is split amongst the villa mates. If you stay 4 nights it $159 per person for the stay.

Good to know guys. I am also starting to worry a little bit about budgeting aspects. I want to go lone wolf on this w/o the help of my parents. Gonna be tough, but I think I can do it.

Is it 4 rooms? Or 2 rooms with 2 beds each?

I want to ask a question about match play style of golf and I thought here would be a good place as that is the style of scoring at the MC. I am a complete novice to this style of golf as I have never played in any tournaments, been part of a club or anything like that. I am having alot of fun and learning quite alot as I incorporate this style of scoring as I get out there with friends. One thing I want to ask those more knowledgeable with this format than I is when is the "correct time" to give up on a hole? Say your tee shot goes in the water and the next one goes OB, and the person you are playing against pipes one down the middle, do you pick up and move on or is that "incorrect"? Thanks in advance for any insight....

That's a steal! I got a chance to check out the villas when we were at true blue they are pretty nice and I like they have a kitchen and stuff. I might actually make breakfast and lunch to save some cash.

Is it 4 rooms? Or 2 rooms with 2 beds each?

The ones for four singles are two rooms with two beds each. I assume the others are two rooms with a queen bed (I guess) for couples.

I want to ask a question about match play style of golf and I thought here would be a good place as that is the style of scoring at the MC. I am a complete novice to this style of golf as I have never played in any tournaments, been part of a club or anything like that. I am having alot of fun and learning quite alot as I incorporate this style of scoring as I get out there with friends. One thing I want to ask those more knowledgeable with this format than I is when is the "correct time" to give up on a hole? Say your tee shot goes in the water and the next one goes OB, and the person you are playing against pipes one down the middle, do you pick up and move on or is that "incorrect"? Thanks in advance for any insight....

I am not sure if there is a "right time" and for me it would depend how I am playing and where we are in the match but I would like to see my opponent at least on the green before I went in pocket.

The ones for four singles are two rooms with two beds each. I assume the others are two rooms with a queen bed (I guess) for couples.

This is how it worked out for TyNo and myself as we had out better halves with us.

I am not sure if there is a "right time" and for me it would depend how I am playing and where we are in the match but I would like to see my opponent at least on the green before I went in pocket.

That's right, anything can happen. Might get in a trap and never get out.

for me it's when I know the chance of halving the hole is pretty much gone.

in your scenario, is there any trouble like water or OB your opponent can hit in to? make him hit the shot.he hits the greenand is putting for bird while you are lying 5 in the fairway. you can pick up and move on.

in your scenario, is there any trouble like water or OB your opponent can hit in to? make him hit the shot.he hits the green and is putting for bird while you are lying 5 in the fairway. you can pick up and move on.
Unless it's a team match you are playing with ddec and he is in the trees. Dude will put it inside the other guy.

Unless it's a team match you are playing with ddec and he is in the trees. Dude will put it inside the other guy.

You really hate me after some of those shots don't you?

Rhino, we play match in our league basically every week (other then a fun scramble every 4 weeks). Usually when a person gets to a 10, obviously the are done with the hole. I definitely wouldn't consede if you put one OB and maybe another in the water, ya, you are laying 4 shooting 5, but who's to say that your opponent doesn't put his fairway shot OB and put you right back in the hole! I would basically play the hole out each time. A 10 still gives you a chance at halving the hole, no matter how remote that chance is, a 10X (meaning you conceded before you played out all your strokes, gives you no chance at halving the hole whatsoever, even if your opponent puts up a 10 themselves) (The 10X rule was how we played in our league, but it could be different, so someone correct me if that's not right).

Bottom line is I would never concede a hole unless your partner is sitting less than a foot away and going for birdie and your putting for a 9 50 ft away. Hopefully that helps!

Hahaha Deano beat me to it. I'm a long winded guy. But we basically said the same thing! :alien:

I think it comes down to knowing yourself, and your opponent. Personally if I already knew I had lost the hole, I would want to go ahead and hit the next shot. At that point the pressure is off and you can swing freely. That should allow me to hit a good shot and get my grove going again before the next hole.

There is no real rule about when to concede a hole. Its just like giving someone a putt, no rule just you know when the time is right. You will know when you are out of the hole. In best ball its pretty easy to just pick up and tell your partner he is on his own. No shame in that.

in your scenario, is there any trouble like water or OB your opponent can hit in to? make him hit the shot.he hits the greenand is putting for bird while you are lying 5 in the fairway. you can pick up and move on.

Depends on the putt for birdie too though. If he's got a 50-footer for birdie, and you get up and down, there is a VERY small chance he could 4-putt. I'd at least make him roll it close to the hole before I conceded. Of course if he's on the green and you're hitting 10, it's probably OK to move on.

There is no real rule about when to concede a hole. Its just like giving someone a putt, no rule just you know when the time is right. You will know when you are out of the hole. In best ball its pretty easy to just pick up and tell your partner he is on his own. No shame in that.

Hmm did not know that was an option... guess I need to brush up on my rules of competition along with my own game.

Depends on the putt for birdie too though. If he's got a 50-footer for birdie, and you get up and down, there is a VERY small chance he could 4-putt. I'd at least make him roll it close to the hole before I conceded. Of course if he's on the green and you're hitting 10, it's probably OK to move on.

I agree, I mean if there is still a statistical chance of halving, I'd at least make him get it close before I conceded. Gotta make him work for it! But Dean is right, you do know when it's over. I'll never make a guy putt out inside 10 feet if he has 4 putts to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back