5 - 10 - 15 Challenge

That's one of the things I miss most about a good workout.

A good gym high or home workout high is highly addictive too, which is a good thing. I was talking to my gym owner the other day as my dues will be up for renewal in December. I told her that even if I couldn't afford it, I would have to work out a way to keep coming. It has got in my system that much and I miss it when I don't go. Heck I would vacuum the floor and wipe the machines down if I had to.

Rather than starting a thread of it's own, figured I would post in here.

Back in the summer I started P90X, got through 45 days and was seeing some great results. I had an unfortunate accident with a vegetable slicer and took off a good bit of my thumb, basically leaving me unable to do a pushup or pullup as I couldnt put any kind of weight or pressure on my right hand. So, while that healed, I got lazy again.

I was a big boy in highschool (280lbs) playing O-line for a large school in Alabama, but when football ended, so did my workouts and the fat piled on. Back about 8 years ago (sophmore/junior year in college) I was about 340lbs, and realized how huge I had gotten. I got on a good workout and diet plan and dropped from 340lbs to 225lbs. I had stayed right at 225lbs for years, and was in good shape. About a month ago, I realized I was up to 240lbs, and decided to get back in shape. My family is big in to cycling, so I started that up again and started hitting the weight again.

Anyway, to get to my point, tomorrow being December 1, I am restarting the P90X. I regret not finishing it the first time, as I had shed a good bit of weight and was starting to see some great results. Have a good diet plan going, and it's nice to have a structured workout program to follow again.

Great job War. I am currently in the middle of the Insanity workout program. I was 268 when I started and this morning I am 255. Feeling better and much closer to my college weight of 235. Good luck with the P90X, I have seen and heard about some great results with it. How is your thumb?

Rather than starting a thread of it's own, figured I would post in here.

Back in the summer I started P90X, got through 45 days and was seeing some great results. I had an unfortunate accident with a vegetable slicer and took off a good bit of my thumb, basically leaving me unable to do a pushup or pullup as I couldnt put any kind of weight or pressure on my right hand. So, while that healed, I got lazy again.

I was a big boy in highschool (280lbs) playing O-line for a large school in Alabama, but when football ended, so did my workouts and the fat piled on. Back about 8 years ago (sophmore/junior year in college) I was about 340lbs, and realized how huge I had gotten. I got on a good workout and diet plan and dropped from 340lbs to 225lbs. I had stayed right at 225lbs for years, and was in good shape. About a month ago, I realized I was up to 240lbs, and decided to get back in shape. My family is big in to cycling, so I started that up again and started hitting the weight again.

Anyway, to get to my point, tomorrow being December 1, I am restarting the P90X. I regret not finishing it the first time, as I had shed a good bit of weight and was starting to see some great results. Have a good diet plan going, and it's nice to have a structured workout program to follow again.

Good for you WE! I've thought about doing something like P90x, but I know from past experience that I don't put on muscle very easily and get over trained quickly. I wonder if P90x would work for an ectomorph like me. In '93 I was going to the gym and lifting weights 5 days a week, and I just kept getting skinnier and not a whole lot stronger. Here's a couple old pics I dug up recently that show how lanky I was back then. Actually they're my weight loss goal pics now cause I wish was that 'scrawny' again. lol
bigfish.jpg

Dang Boo,,, you are pretty wiry looking and I bet you were strong too! It probably took all your strength to pull in that big catfish you are showing off there in your drawers :D

BBB - I actually put on weight during P90X but I was eating ALOT. That was my goal though...not to lose weight but to just get stronger/toned, etc.

I can't reiterate diet enough whether you are trying to lose weight or pack on muscle. Diet is over 50% of the plan. If you do it and are trying to avoid losing weight but toning up then I believe the use of protein powder is key. Gotta keep the muscles fueled.

I'm back on the running regime, half marathon targeted for March. I did P90x last summer, good workouts but too much repetition for me. Ab Ripper X is the best ab workout I've ever seen tho, just awesome.

Dang Boo,,, you are pretty wiry looking and I bet you were strong too! It probably took all your strength to pull in that big catfish you are showing off there in your drawers :D

haha, those are shorts not drawers, I'm not that much of a redneck.

Great job War. I am currently in the middle of the Insanity workout program. I was 268 when I started and this morning I am 255. Feeling better and much closer to my college weight of 235. Good luck with the P90X, I have seen and heard about some great results with it. How is your thumb?
The thumb healed nicely, I cut off almost my entire thumb print/thumb pad, would post pictures but it's pretty grotesque. They way I cut it, there was nothing to stitch, so I had to just wrap it daily and let it heal from the outside. Luckily, my wife is an RN and one of the best Wound Nurses I have ever seen, so she wrapped and bandaged it daily, and even made a dressing that I could put on so I could still play golf! Although my right hand was making a thumbs up during my swing!

BBB - I actually put on weight during P90X but I was eating ALOT. That was my goal though...not to lose weight but to just get stronger/toned, etc.

I can't reiterate diet enough whether you are trying to lose weight or pack on muscle. Diet is over 50% of the plan. If you do it and are trying to avoid losing weight but toning up then I believe the use of protein powder is key. Gotta keep the muscles fueled.

For me its 90%. I managed to grow a pretty good gut when I was in the Army and running several miles everyday, and in 2002 I got back to that size (165lbs) by sticking to a very low carb diet and not doing any exercise to speak of. I do believe that exercise is good, its just that I have found it doesn't make much difference for me as far as body composition.

I used to box and compete in BJJ all through college and many years after wards. In that time I used to jump back and forth between weight classes and always used the same training regimen that my trainer set me up with. It was hard to stick to but everyone of my friends that I had follow it dropped weight like crazy and put on a good amount of mass. This is not something you can stick to for life, but is great to drop weight quickly and then just follow a maintenance diet. If anyone's interested in it let me know. I can calculate the Carb/Protein/Fat content.

Going to the gym this morning to plunk down some money for another year. I am going to pay quarterly this next year as I have Christmas coming up and some other things coming in that will prohibit me from paying the year in full. I love my gym and it is such a part of my health regimen that I am addicted to it. Good luck to all of you who are thinking about making a commitment for 2012 to work hard for your body. It will pay you back in more ways than one :thumb:

My new goal for 2012 is to lose 15 lbs or one pants size and work hard to keep my weight/waist at my optimum level. Let's work hard and kick some butt :clapp:!!!

Way to go OG! Keep up the hard work!

I'm almost a week in to my program and have shifted my workouts to the early morning and am loving it. Interesting enough, when I work out in the morning before work I drink less coffee and don't get the urge to eat junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm making a life style change for me, my wife And two beautiful children. I have started down the road to a slimmer healthier me. I've slowly been changing my diet and started running again. I have to say this is going to be a long term commitment but I feel better than I have in a long time. My goal is 20 healthy lbs by may. The start has been great!

I'm making a life style change for me, my wife And two beautiful children. I have started down the road to a slimmer healthier me. I've slowly been changing my diet and started running again. I have to say this is going to be a long term commitment but I feel better than I have in a long time. My goal is 20 healthy lbs by may. The start has been great!

Good Job Freddie. I have made the same commitment and feel much better! I am down 13 pound in 6+ weeks with 12 more to go...

Way to go OG! Keep up the hard work!

I'm almost a week in to my program and have shifted my workouts to the early morning and am loving it. Interesting enough, when I work out in the morning before work I drink less coffee and don't get the urge to eat junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Job Freddie. I have made the same commitment and feel much better! I am down 13 pound in 6+ weeks with 12 more to go...

Really great job guys and I applaud you all :clapp:. My Doctor called me this morning and said my Lipid Panel came back not looking so good. I have to make some changes in my diet and that will include knocking off a few beers as well. It's amazing how one of my favorite beverages can be so bad for ya as it throws the lbs on your midsection etc. Ok here are my stats from the report this morning:

Cholesterol, Total 265 (100 - 199mg/dl) H
Triglycerides 266 (0 - 149 mg/dl) H
HDL Cholesterol 44 (>39 mg/dl)
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 53 (5 - 40 mg/dl) H
LDL Cholesterol Calc 168 (0 - 99 mg/dl) H

She put me on a med called Livalo 2 mg which I will probably have to take on a maintenance basic etc.

I was talking with my gym mgr this morning and she said when the Doctor comes to the gym she would tell her how much I work out. It goes to show working out by itself is not enough. You have to modify your diet and intake of certain things to get healthy on the inside.

Really great job guys and I applaud you all :clapp:. My Doctor called me this morning and said my Lipid Panel came back not looking so good. I have to make some changes in my diet and that will include knocking off a few beers as well. It's amazing how one of my favorite beverages can be so bad for ya as it throws the lbs on your midsection etc. Ok here are my stats from the report this morning:

Cholesterol, Total 265 (100 - 199mg/dl) H
Triglycerides 266 (0 - 149 mg/dl) H
HDL Cholesterol 44 (>39 mg/dl)
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 53 (5 - 40 mg/dl) H
LDL Cholesterol Calc 168 (0 - 99 mg/dl) H

She put me on a med called Livalo 2 mg which I will probably have to take on a maintenance basic etc.

I was talking with my gym mgr this morning and she said when the Doctor comes to the gym she would tell her how much I work out. It goes to show working out by itself is not enough. You have to modify your diet and intake of certain things to get healthy on the inside.

Not good Ole Gray! We'll get healthier together! Hopefully you'll be off that medicine in no time.

ok I did not make the Morgan Cup which is a huge disappointment but you know what, I got some folks, I am taking dead aim at next May in the Outing at Grand Cypress. To make my goals in taking them to the woodshed, I am going to work EXTRA hard to prove I have what it takes, to play good golf. My beer enjoyment is going to be drastically reduced and the gym work is going to be drastically increased so I can be in the best possible condition ever. This is my "Rocky" training time and I am going to push myself to the limits to be in the best shape possible. That means both golf and physical games to bring to the competition. The ultra training begins:thumb:

Goal: 200lbs or lower will be my game weight by May or I will wear a dress during demo day.

Last edited:
ok I did not make the Morgan Cup which is a huge disappointment but you know what, I got some folks, I am taking dead aim at next May in the Outing at Grand Cypress. To make my goals in taking them to the woodshed, I am going to work EXTRA hard to prove I have what it takes, to play good golf. My beer enjoyment is going to be drastically reduced and the gym work is going to be drastically increased so I can be in the best possible condition ever. This is my "Rocky" training time and I am going to push myself to the limits to be in the best shape possible. That means both golf and physical games to bring to the competition. The ultra training begins:thumb:

Goal: 200lbs or lower will be my game weight by May or I will wear a dress during demo day.

I for one was disappointed to see several people left out of MC2, but can appreciate the gravity of the event. I am glad most everyone left out has been great sports about it and know you will hit the gym even harder now. I hope those searching for an event to train for, can join us in dedicating more time to overall fitness in 2012.

After all, life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you react to it. Time to tighten up the bootstraps and get to work.

I for one was disappointed to see several people left out of MC2, but can appreciate the gravity of the event. I am glad most everyone left out has been great sports about it and know you will hit the gym even harder now. I hope those searching for an event to train for, can join us in dedicating more time to overall fitness in 2012.

After all, life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you react to it. Time to tighten up the bootstraps and get to work.

Excellent post ddxu! I am pretty much over my not being chosen thing and in a couple more days the urge will dwindle away. I know of several people who have pm'd me who are down right now but hey, life is a bigger picture and if something like not making a cut can boot you up a gear, so be it. Different folks have different type motivators. You can take the lemon into lemonade gig and use it the same way. Take something and use it to make you focus on setting and then reaching your goals.

In another thread, I said I'd help push OG hit his goal for the outing. Part of this is two fold: I don't want to see him in a dress. I also need to get in better shape cause the fiancee is calling me soft, and I don't want to have to start throwing ice cold water on her when she's in the shower.

Currently I'm at 155, and a size 32. I want to be back down to a size 30 by the outing and hopefully about 20 yards longer off the tee. I'll be starting P90X around Christmas (sister has it, doesn't like it, hello repackaged gift) but I'll start by doing some bike riding tonight. My goal tonight is at least 3 miles.

In another thread, I said I'd help push OG hit his goal for the outing. Part of this is two fold: I don't want to see him in a dress. I also need to get in better shape cause the fiancee is calling me soft, and I don't want to have to start throwing ice cold water on her when she's in the shower.

Currently I'm at 155, and a size 32. I want to be back down to a size 30 by the outing and hopefully about 20 yards longer off the tee. I'll be starting P90X around Christmas (sister has it, doesn't like it, hello repackaged gift) but I'll start by doing some bike riding tonight. My goal tonight is at least 3 miles.
What kind of bike are you on?

I am a little over a week in to P90X, I really wish I would have been able to finish it back early summer. The first week of workouts are tough, but you push through and get used to them. GOod luck with the Yoga, it kicks my butt every time.

What kind of bike are you on?

I am a little over a week in to P90X, I really wish I would have been able to finish it back early summer. The first week of workouts are tough, but you push through and get used to them. GOod luck with the Yoga, it kicks my butt every time.

No idea LOL. That should give you an indication of how often I use it. I attempted to last week but the tires were flat. Decided to jog holes 1-6 of the course near me, which unfortunately is just over 2 miles thanks to how far out it goes and comes back. Terrible walking course. Tires are fixed and full of air. iPod on, I'll just put it at a medium gear and do that for a while to build up some stamina. I'll probably drop it to the lowest gear after a couple weeks so I can do hard work and go real fast instead of highest gear, peddle my tail off, and go absolutely nowhere. That just annoys me lol

LMAO :D:laughing::rofl: at not wanting to see me in a dress! Ok buddy I weighed this morning in at 215 which seems to be my average weight regardless of what I do. I have chosen to remove those 15 extra lbs by May 2012 with some serious workout days (4 minimum) per week and better diet. This will include less beer :crying::banghead::bulgy-eyes: from now on ,as I know it is my main contributor to my waist. I am not cutting it out completely but monitoring my intake and consumption. This is going to work like a charm. I went to the gym today and hit it harder than I have since I was preparing for High School football. Even though I have been working out steady since last December I could feel the burn in my muscles so I know the increase in reps and weight will take my strength up to the next level. Good luck mward and I will be rooting you on :clapp:!

LMAO :D:laughing::rofl: at not wanting to see me in a dress! Ok buddy I weighed this morning in at 215 which seems to be my average weight regardless of what I do. I have chosen to remove those 15 extra lbs by May 2012 with some serious workout days (4 minimum) per week and better diet. This will include less beer :crying::banghead::bulgy-eyes: from now on ,as I know it is my main contributor to my waist. I am not cutting it out completely but monitoring my intake and consumption. This is going to work like a charm. I went to the gym today and hit it harder than I have since I was preparing for High School football. Even though I have been working out steady since last December I could feel the burn in my muscles so I know the increase in reps and weight will take my strength up to the next level. Good luck mward and I will be rooting you on :clapp:!

I feel ya there. Microbrews, nitrogens, specialty crafts, they're all so good. Might want to consider either limiting the intake, or workout out hard enough to burn off the extra intake. I'm gonna have to cut out the sweets. I don't eat that many of them, but I tend to eat them at the worst time: before bed.

KellyBo just said I need to lose body fat because I really do work out hard at the gym every week. She said the muscle I am gaining will weigh more than the fat. I added 25 lbs to each of my routines today and I do 30 reps each on 10 different machines and free weights. I am not trying to be Hulk Hogan as this would ruin my golf swing but I do want the extra strength and endurance that will give me the X factor :D. I currently use the 125 lb weight on all my reps.

Back