JF

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done a 5 wedge setup or seen someone do it? I know it's an overkill, but I have seriously thought about going that route. With the distance of the RBZ 3-wood, and the fact that 9 out of 10 of my rounds are at courses where a driver isn't even needed, I think I could pull it off. 46* 50* 54* 58* 62*. I have shots I could use every wedge for. Maybe I could pioneer a new trend for amateur golfers who can't hit drivers well and need lots of options around the green due to low GIRs...

You should check out the SCOR wedge testing...

Doesn't the SCOR testing include the 9-iron though? That's still 4 wedges in my opinion...

But would it not lead to a lot of over thinking a shot, should I use A,B,C,D,E for me it would get a bit messy. Then again how would your bag set up look like ???

I think the 62* is not needed but the rest of the wedges seem logical.

That's a lot of wedges to be carrying. I mean, for me anyways, I find a 58* to be just as usable as a 62*. On paper it sounds great, though I'm not sure I could find the need for all of them. I have a 56* and 60* now and barely ever use the 60*.

Though, if you find no need for the driver and want to give it a go, it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Doesn't the SCOR testing include the 9-iron though? That's still 4 wedges in my opinion...

Not all the time. Read the thread

pitching wedges tend to be a lot closer to irons than wedges imo though

pitching wedges tend to be a lot closer to irons than wedges imo though

I'm actually referring to getting a blade style PW... R12, SM4, 588, whatever the set may be.

Maybe bump the 62* up to 64* for the highest possible flop shots. Bag would potentially look like this:

3W
3H
4-9i
5 wedges
Putter... but since I'll chip everything in I don't need one, so 6 wedges !

My new wedges "SCOR" are 44, 48, 52, 56, and 60. Even before I went to the SCOR's, I carried 5 wedges...

I would say it depends on the type of golfer. I know some people who only use 2 or 3 wedges, but if a driver isn't going to help you, why not try 5 wedges? It can't hurt to try. I say go for it, and may even try something like that myself in the future because I almost never use my driver like yourself. If you do go this route, I can't wait to hear how it goes!

This would definitely be an 'in pieces' type thing. After my birthday in a few weeks, I will probably have enough for 3 depending on the wedge price. I'd go 50* 54* 58* first, then the 62* once the money came, then finally replace my PW with a 46* blade PW.

If I added a 5th wedge I'd go with a 64. 50, 54, 60, 64.

I personally would never go up above a 60 but if it's something that fits your game you could try it. There aren't a lot of people who carry those wedges because they can be difficult to hit and be accurate with. I use a three wedge set up (50, 54, 58) and feel I can hit any shot I need with the bounce I have on those wedges. I guess it's something you need to explore and see if it fits your game. Let us know what works!

I personally would never go up above a 60 but if it's something that fits your game you could try it. There aren't a lot of people who carry those wedges because they can be difficult to hit and be accurate with. I use a three wedge set up (50, 54, 58) and feel I can hit any shot I need with the bounce I have on those wedges. I guess it's something you need to explore and see if it fits your game. Let us know what works!

4 wedges counting the PW.

Look at Phil, he's the master of flop shots with his 64*. I'm not bad at floppers with my 60*, but I can only open the face so much and still go straight. The extra 4* would help. I think I'm gonna make an attempt to try it, and if it doesn;t end up working, I still have 5 wedges to swap in and out as need be.

I bet you are just as amazing as Phil

I bet you are just as amazing as Phil

Did I say that? I said I wasn't bad. I'm by no means amazing. Is it a bad thing to use a tour pro as an analogy?

4 wedges counting the PW.

Look at Phil, he's the master of flop shots with his 64*. I'm not bad at floppers with my 60*, but I can only open the face so much and still go straight. The extra 4* would help. I think I'm gonna make an attempt to try it, and if it doesn;t end up working, I still have 5 wedges to swap in and out as need be.

Everyone is a little different and this set up might work better for you than it would for me. I get a 58 with a lot of bounce so I can open it up. I once had a 62 in the bag and never felt comfortable hitting it. Let us know how it works you might be the next master with a 62*. :D

But would it not lead to a lot of over thinking a shot, should I use A,B,C,D,E for me it would get a bit messy. Then again how would your bag set up look like ???

This. I dropped my 60* and for the last couple of years have only carried a 52* and 56*. My handicap has dropped dramatically because of that decision. And to be honest, I use a PW around the green the majority of the time as those shots are a lot easier to pull off. I think amateurs can get to the point where they have too many wedges and over think things rather than just practicing and getting really comfortable with fewer clubs/options.

Did I say that? I said I wasn't bad. I'm by no means amazing. Is it a bad thing to use a tour pro as an analogy?

No I don't think it's bad and I hope you know I was kidding with you (smiley guy). They are just very hard to control that's why a lot of people who aren't great wedge players (like myself) don't carry them.

This. I dropped my 60* and for the last couple of years have only carried a 52* and 56*. My handicap has dropped dramatically because of that decision. And to be honest, I use a PW around the green the majority of the time as those shots are a lot easier to pull off. I think amateurs can get to the point where they have too many wedges and over think things rather than just practicing and getting really comfortable with fewer clubs/options.

I have a friend who preaches one maybe two wedges only. He uses a PW most of the time with a very occasional sand wedge (sand, go over something). He says you should master one wedge. Problem is, he has numerous situations where he needs a GW or something higher than 56*. Five is an overkill that I'm willing to try, four is best IMO with the occasional 3.

I have a friend who preaches one maybe two wedges only. He uses a PW most of the time with a very occasional sand wedge (sand, go over something). He says you should master one wedge. Problem is, he has numerous situations where he needs a GW or something higher than 56*. Five is an overkill that I'm willing to try, four is best IMO with the occasional 3.

I carry a GW and can use it from 110 with a full shot, but around the green, I have found that more loft often equates to more of a chance for error. With a PW or similar lofted iron, I personally get better results. I par'd every par 3 that we played in my last round thanks to my ability to put my second shots close with my PW.

What works for one may not work for another, we all know that. I just know that I personally got much better when I started practicing with fewer clubs and learned more touch with the ones that I had.

I really just use my pw and my 56 but I bought the 52 and 60 just to make my bag look full.:D

Back