Acushnet Loses Advertising Claim Challenge To Bridgestone

Its amazing to see how defensive some people can be about the product they use. The OP started this thread as a simple read about the inner workings between two competing companies and it really was a fasinating read.

Acushnet Loses Advertising Claim Challenge To Bridgestone
Normally I dont post thngs such as this, but I found this particularly interesting based on the fact that a "blog" was mentioned in one of the claims. Its a pretty fascinating read and also pretty out there in my opinion, but those that like to know the "business behind the business" will enjoy this.

I myself use Titleist balls at times and think they have a solid product, but that won't blind me to the point of having to defend them in their actions, right or wrong. People are just pointing out their opinions here and have every right to, but why get hostile, lol?

I admit I am a Bridgestone loyalist and I am one because of the quality of service I receive from the company. It is the same reason why I choose the dry cleaners I take my clothes, the restaurants I eat in and where I buy things like a tv, computer or a car. (next time Thifty I promise TC!!) I do not choose to pay attention to the advertising campaigns of these ball manufacturers because alot of the time they are not speaking to me and my needs. Do I really care that Titleist is the #1 ball on the PGA tour? Why should I? My game is no where near that of a PGA tour player. I am "joe customer" the basic weekend hack who is looking to get my ball to fly 200 yards down the fairway instrad of 150 yards down and 50 yards to the left and end up in another fairway. When I go to a Bridgestone fitting and the ball fitter takes 15 mintues with me looking at my swing and not only suggesting a correct ball for me based on what he sees and the computer says but also gives me tips about faults he sees and actually takes an interest in me as a consumer, you can be damn sure I am going to be loyal to this guys product and tell as many people I know about them and get them to at least look at the Bridgestone ball. It is the least I an do. When/if Titelist or anyother company shows me this level of customer care that I have seen from Bridgestone, I will then consider using another ball.

Because when a co. like Acushnet who thinks their :poop: doesn't stink and goes around saying their the biggest and best goes after the competition and gets egg on their face in the process is just funny to those who are open minded about what may be best for their game rather than being marketing sheep

:thumb: :clapp: Rep will be added when I can

I admit I am a Bridgestone loyalist and I am one because of the quality of service I receive from the company. It is the same reason why I choose the dry cleaners I take my clothes, the restaurants I eat in and where I buy things like a tv, computer or a car. (next time Thifty I promise TC!!) I do not choose to pay attention to the advertising campaigns of these ball manufacturers because alot of the time they are not speaking to me and my needs. Do I really care that Titleist is the #1 ball on the PGA tour? Why should I? My game is no where near that of a PGA tour player. I am "joe customer" the basic weekend hack who is looking to get my ball to fly 200 yards down the fairway instrad of 150 yards down and 50 yards to the left and end up in another fairway. When I go to a Bridgestone fitting and the ball fitter takes 15 mintues with me looking at my swing and not only suggesting a correct ball for me based on what he sees and the computer says but also gives me tips about faults he sees and actually takes an interest in me as a consumer, you can be damn sure I am going to be loyal to this guys product and tell as many people I know about them and get them to at least look at the Bridgestone ball. It is the least I an do. When/if Titelist or anyother company shows me this level of customer care that I have seen from Bridgestone, I will then consider using another ball.

Great post post Rhino.

I would just like to add one thing. This website is called The HACKERS Paradise, JB and GG created it for a place to discuss any and everything golf. Not to push products or bad mouth products, the funny thing is if you notice, the majority of the things that have been negatively viewed over the years are by more than one person. That means SEVERAL people share an opinion that is more than likely influenced by said companies actions or lack of actions. I think it's safe to say that most of the feedback here is honest and unbiased because about every club produced today worth testing is a good club. Acushnet has access to all the surveys and statistics their competitors have and yet they still refuse to target the biggest segment of golfer, the mid to high handicap.

They refuse to acknowledge that companies that do this are going to be more successful because I play enough golf to know that the majority of people that play this game recreationally need all the help they can get. So if a company goes out of their way to help those people then they should get credit for it and if a company goes out of their way to avoid those people then they should get credit for that. Acushnet has made it apparent by the club releases, their ball fitting option and their overall attitude to unbiased feedback that their focus isn't on the largest demographic of golfer and I think until that changes they are going to have to work A LOT harder at changing people's perceptions of their company. Help me help you is all I can say to their people in chage.

LMAO, I wonder how many names he has in reserve??

Very interesting read, I like Titliest and have played their balls in the past but I never like to see a company use legal means to attack their competitor instead of making and marketing a better product/service. I've been to a bridgestone fitting that didn't go so well (LM wouldn't work) but the attitude of the guys doing the fitting and time they did take to go over my swing and what might work was quite a step above handing someone a card to evaluate their own game. Glad the claim was throughly researched and what looks like the correct decision was made. Maybe now we'll see Titliest travel the country setting up ball fitting stations of their own to match the #1 ball fitter in golf.

Let me try again.

Titleist claims to be "The #1 Ball in Golf"
Bridgestone claims to be "The #1 Ball Fitter in Golf"

Titleist claims foul. Bridgestone prevails.

Titleist was trying to protect itself from what it saw as a potential threat and lost.

OK. I guess I did not understand the feeling about Titleist that exists among some golfers.

Let me try again.

Titleist claims to be "The #1 Ball in Golf"
Bridgestone claims to be "The #1 Ball Fitter in Golf"

Titleist claims foul. Bridgestone prevails.

Titleist was trying to protect itself from what it saw as a potential threat and lost.

OK. I guess I did not understand the feeling about Titleist that exists among some golfers.

Isn't that the basis of our economy? Competition? There are anti-monopoly laws for a reason. The consumer is supposed to have a choice. Companies like Bridgestone are supposed to come into the market and rock the establishment. Acushnet is trying to bully another company over wording? Please. Acushnet needs to man up and take it on the chin with dignity.

Really, really good read. I love seeing this side of the business. Why did Titleist even decide to go after Bridgestone? Hanks quote sums it up best... Ball liking vs Ball Fitting.

Isn't that the basis of our economy? Competition? There are anti-monopoly laws for a reason. The consumer is supposed to have a choice. Companies like Bridgestone are supposed to come into the market and rock the establishment. Acushnet is trying to bully another company over wording? Please. Acushnet needs to man up and take it on the chin with dignity.

And a "great post" right back at you my friend!!

I understand why someone would see it the way that JeantheMachine sees it as far BStone just adding "Fitter" into the Titleist slogan. Your opinion is valid JTM and I am hearing you. I side with the stupid law suit side, but i understand your opinion and respect it.

Monopoly ???

Acushnet "bully" Bridgestone/Firestone ???

"Take it on the chin..." ???

And here you are getting worked up about others getting worked up over a corporation. any difference? nope

Not at all.
Hey I'm just making an observation.

It just seems as if a lot of people seem to really hate Titleist (or are at least rooting for Bridgestone) and I'm just wondering why is all. :confused2:

I can understand getting all worked up over a player or a team because of a style of play, a personality or that they're from a certain place.
I guess I just find it odd that people can be so passionate about multi-billion dollar, multi-national corporations.

Monopoly ???

Acushnet "bully" Bridgestone/Firestone ???

"Take it on the chin..." ???

Purely my opinion, but the big Acushnet is going after the smaller Bridgestone. Acushnet is losing share in the golf ball market and Bridgestone is the one taking a large part of it up. Yes Acushnet doesn't have a monopoly, but their attitude in attacking Bridgestone seems rather suspect. There is no reason for them to do this other than try to hurt Bridgestone who is making waves in the golf ball establisment mainly at Acushnet's expense. Marketing is key behind Bridgestone's strategy (as is Acushnet's) but just because they don't like Bridgestone's advertising isn't reason enough to raise this whole issue. Companies come and companies go. This is what our ENTIRE ecomony is based on. Just becuase Acushnet is losing money doesn't give them right to start attacking other companies. They need to take it on the chin because marketing is a fight. Bridgestone is winning at the moment by providing a fitting experience. Instead of running away and tattling, the need to stand and fight by providing a wider range of golf balls.

Not at all.
Hey I'm just making an observation.

It just seems as if a lot of people seem to really hate Titleist (or are at least rooting for Bridgestone) and I'm just wondering why is all. :confused2:

I can understand getting all worked up over a player or a team because of a style of play, a personality or that they're from a certain place.
I guess I just find it odd that people can be so passionate about multi-billion dollar, multi-national corporations.

Being brand loyal is just like being player loyal. If a company has always made equipment someone has liked, or if that company has always had superior customer service, or whatever the reason may be I see no difference in them being in the corner of said company over another. To me it's the same as being player loyal, or a super fan.

I also think this has nothing to do with liking one company over another. Instead I think it's about the situation. A lot of the people in this thread who are standing up for Bridgestone don't even play their balls or equipment, for them it's not about Yay Bridgestone and Boo Titelist, for them it's about the situation and who they feel is right and wrong.

I would just like to add one thing. This website is called The HACKERS Paradise, JB and GG created it for a place to discuss any and everything golf. Not to push products or bad mouth products, the funny thing is if you notice, the majority of the things that have been negatively viewed over the years are by more than one person. That means SEVERAL people share an opinion that is more than likely influenced by said companies actions or lack of actions. I think it's safe to say that most of the feedback here is honest and unbiased because about every club produced today worth testing is a good club. Acushnet has access to all the surveys and statistics their competitors have and yet they still refuse to target the biggest segment of golfer, the mid to high handicap.

They refuse to acknowledge that companies that do this are going to be more successful because I play enough golf to know that the majority of people that play this game recreationally need all the help they can get. So if a company goes out of their way to help those people then they should get credit for it and if a company goes out of their way to avoid those people then they should get credit for that. Acushnet has made it apparent by the club releases, their ball fitting option and their overall attitude to unbiased feedback that their focus isn't on the largest demographic of golfer and I think until that changes they are going to have to work A LOT harder at changing people's perceptions of their company. Help me help you is all I can say to their people in chage.

I agree with you and I think you're absolutely right in terms of a company like Bridgestone targeting a larger (or THE largest) demographic.
But perhaps Titleist simply prefers to market to what they believe are the "better" players or players that think they are.
As far back as I can remember, Titleist has always been considered a "players" product and I remember that sentiment existing decades ago.
They've built a reputation based on that and maybe they're happy with it the way it is.

That doesn't make them a good company or a bad one.
It just makes them different.

What a great story. Great to see Bridgestone back up their claims, even when challenged. Makes Titleist look even worse. Thanks for sharing it, I hadn't heard a thing about it.

Being brand loyal is just like being player loyal. If a company has always made equipment someone has liked, or if that company has always had superior customer service, or whatever the reason may be I see no difference in them being in the corner of said company over another. To me it's the same as being player loyal, or a super fan.

I also think this has nothing to do with liking one company over another. Instead I think it's about the situation. A lot of the people in this thread who are standing up for Bridgestone don't even play their balls or equipment, for them it's not about Yay Bridgestone and Boo Titelist, for them it's about the situation and who they feel is right and wrong.

Fair enough.

But your reference to "Yay Bridgestone and Boo Titelist" is how I read it.
Maybe I read more into it than I should have.

That is a great post. Its exactly the same which has so much irony in it in this thread.

Fair enough.

But your reference to "Yay Bridgestone and Boo Titelist" is how I read it.
Maybe I read more into it than I should have.

I think you are reading too much into it. This seems to happen all the time. A group of people on our forum like a product and all of a sudden people think they work for the company. It amazes me how often this happens, especially if you look at those people's signatures and they don't play any of that companies gear except for the 1 club they are testing. People seem to go on the defense the minute someone says something negative about another company, especially if it's the company they are loyal to. It doesn't have to be that way and shouldn't be that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is not always going to agree, that's just how it is.

I think this thread is more about morals and less about 2 specific brands. This could be about Charmin and Cottenelle Toilet Paper, where one company claims to be the #1 softest toilet paper on the market and the other claims to be the #1 toilet paper on the market (weird choice of products I know) but it's the same concept. It's about morals not about the brands.

I think that Bridgestone Golf looks like the under dog and the little guy (Bridgesone Golf, not Bridgestone itself as I am pretty sure that Bridgestone would dwarf Acushnet while Acushnet dwarfs Bridgestone Golf). When a big guy attacks the little guy, people want to side with the little guy. I think that is the case here. Titleist/Acushnet looks like a leviathan attacking a smaller ship. I think it is naturally going to be emotional. In the inverse, if Bridgestone sued Titleist for their claims of being the #1 ball in golf, I would think that is ridiculous and I would have a similar reaction of the little guy playing pest. I think the main point is that this law suit was a lot of ridiculous and Acushnet was the company behind it.

Wow...males Titleist look like crybabies

I think that Bridgestone Golf looks like the under dog and the little guy...When a big guy attacks the little guy, people want to side with the little guy. I think that is the case here... a leviathan attacking a smaller ship. I think it is naturally going to be emotional.

Off topic, but that's exactly my stance in defending Tiger.
I know he's no "little guy", but he's definitely an underdog right now and the leviathan (the media / haters) are attacking and I'm simply defending. :thumb: :D

Off topic, but that's exactly my stance in defending Tiger.
I know he's no "little guy", but he's definitely an underdog right now and the leviathan (the media / haters) are attacking and I'm simply defending. :thumb: :D

Hahaha.
Tiger Woods being called an underdog against the big bad ship is pretty funny.
The irony in here is pretty hysterical.

Back