Acushnet Loses Advertising Claim Challenge To Bridgestone

I am going to defer to JB and GG as I am simply guessing, but I would imagine that there are many lawsuits going on during any given year. I dont think it really makes Titleist "look bad", I mean, its the lawyers job to fight this stuff out, many times they know its a longshot. I think it is very interesting though as far as giving us outsiders a little glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes, it was a very good read.

I am going to defer to JB and GG as I am simply guessing, but I would imagine that there are many lawsuits going on during any given year. I dont think it really makes Titleist "look bad", I mean, its the lawyers job to fight this stuff out, many times they know its a longshot. I think it is very interesting though as far as giving us outsiders a little glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes, it was a very good read.

Surprisingly not as many as you think. I would have thought far more, but nothing like the tech industry or anything.
I will say that almost all of them involve one company if that means anything (generalization of course)

Hahaha.
Tiger Woods being called an underdog against the big bad ship is pretty funny.
The irony in here is pretty hysterical.

C'mon man, NO LOVE at all for Eldrick? :beat-up:

Surprisingly not as many as you think. I would have thought far more, but nothing like the tech industry or anything.
I will say that almost all of them involve one company if that means anything.(generalization of course)

I think that knowing this bit of information also makes me have a certain attitude about a certain company. I can make a distinction between product and business practice.

I think this thread is more about morals and less about 2 specific brands. This could be about Charmin and Cottenelle Toilet Paper, where one company claims to be the #1 softest toilet paper on the market and the other claims to be the #1 toilet paper on the market (weird choice of products I know) but it's the same concept. It's about morals not about the brands.

What do you have against Northern? hehe

Haha, nothing they are all good. I happened to be making a shopping list for the weekend and toilet paper was on the list which is why I picked that for my example.

I bought cheap TP last shopping trip. One of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Haha, nothing they are all good. I happened to be making a shopping list for the weekend and toilet paper was on the list which is why I picked that for my example.

You subconsciously hate Northern and you know it!

You subconsciously hate Northern and you know it!

It show's! She just likes the big boys of the industry.

I bought cheap TP last shopping trip. One of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Wakes you up though, doesn't it?

I prefer charmin and Bridgestone

This is pretty amusing. It makes Acushnet look like sore losers. I get why they did it but at the same time they really didn't provide enough evidence to dispute the claim.

Doesn't sway my opinion of either company one way or another, I'll still play the Titleist.

Here's another question for you guys to ponder and offer opinions. Why is it that golf ball companies seem to have at least recently changed certain things in golf balls each year. For example, when Titleist first came out with the DT Solo ball, it was a soft ball which you could compress well and was a fine ball to play. However, the next year they changed it and turned it into a rockhard Pinnacle type ball. Why can't the golf ball companies leave well enough alone sometimes?

Whether or Titleist is "the evil empire" or not I don't know, but what they, or rather Wally Uihlein , did for Moe Norman back in '95 is admirable in my book. jmho

Ok skimmer alert! I have not read the whole thread but I will just say this. They both make great products, no doubt about it. They both have great marketing, no doubt about it. The issue that strikes me is that Bridgestone actually gets down in the dirt and works with the normal everyday hacker like me and says this is what works best. They have supported the average hacker like me and lots of other here on THP. I would be willing to bet that THP is not the only entity that they have reached out to. I may be wrong but until Bridgestone started doing ball fittings who did Titelest really reach out out and work with?
It seems that the issue that Acushnet is really challenging is who is really interested in supporting the normal average hacker like me. I have hit Titlest woods and balls and they are good but Bridgestone in my opinion not only makes a good product but reaches out to the normal golfer and to me that makes a huge difference.
So just maybe Titlest is trying to silence the companythat broke the mold on ball fitting and customer support, and reached out to us, the average guy and said here we are to help and support you.

Here's another question for you guys to ponder and offer opinions. Why is it that golf ball companies seem to have at least recently changed certain things in golf balls each year. For example, when Titleist first came out with the DT Solo ball, it was a soft ball which you could compress well and was a fine ball to play. However, the next year they changed it and turned it into a rockhard Pinnacle type ball. Why can't the golf ball companies leave well enough alone sometimes?

The same reason that Taylormade changes their woods and companies change their irons and ford and chevy make a new model of car....Money.

Ok skimmer alert! I have not read the whole thread but I will just say this. They both make great products, no doubt about it. They both have great marketing, no doubt about it. The issue that strikes me is that Bridgestone actually gets down in the dirt and works with the normal everyday hacker like me and says this is what works best. They have supported the average hacker like me and lots of other here on THP. I would be willing to bet that THP is not the only entity that they have reached out to. I may be wrong but until Bridgestone started doing ball fittings who did Titelest really reach out out and work with?
It seems that the issue that Acushnet is really challenging is who is really interested in supporting the normal average hacker like me. I have hit Titlest woods and balls and they are good but Bridgestone in my opinion not only makes a good product but reaches out to the normal golfer and to me that makes a huge difference.
So just maybe Titlest is trying to silence the companythat broke the mold on ball fitting and customer support, and reached out to us, the average guy and said here we are to help and support you.

Well put Wulff, I agree.

I think this is great for Bridgestone and if you think about it, they have been more aggressive on golf balls and fittings the last few years compared to Titleist and yes even the Penta ball I play. Bridgestone makes a fine product and I have played their golf balls a number of times. But here's what gets me on Titleist fittings...why would you base your fittings based on green to tee? It never has made sense to me.

because you hit way more shots around a green then the TEE, 30+ compared to 14 duhhhh

because you hit way more shots around a green then the TEE, 30+ compared to 14 duhhhh

But how many of those are putts?
And since virtually no impact is put on the ball with a putter stroke, that would be irrelevant for fitting for the most part outside of audible tone.
Even those that hit very few greens in regulations will hit 3-4 a round. So if you factor that in there, then you would hit just as many tee shots as any "around the green" shots.

But how many of those are putts?
And since virtually no impact is put on the ball with a putter stroke, that would be irrelevant for fitting for the most part outside of audible tone.
Even those that hit very few greens in regulations will hit 3-4 a round. So if you factor that in there, then you would hit just as many tee shots as any "around the green" shots.

i count anything inside 150 as "around the green" as i expect everyone of these shots to be on and close, maybe its just me, but i make more birdies from good approaches than drives

Purely my opinion, but the big Acushnet is going after the smaller Bridgestone. Acushnet is losing share in the golf ball market and Bridgestone is the one taking a large part of it up. Yes Acushnet doesn't have a monopoly, but their attitude in attacking Bridgestone seems rather suspect. There is no reason for them to do this other than try to hurt Bridgestone who is making waves in the golf ball establisment mainly at Acushnet's expense. Marketing is key behind Bridgestone's strategy (as is Acushnet's) but just because they don't like Bridgestone's advertising isn't reason enough to raise this whole issue. Companies come and companies go. This is what our ENTIRE ecomony is based on. Just becuase Acushnet is losing money doesn't give them right to start attacking other companies. They need to take it on the chin because marketing is a fight. Bridgestone is winning at the moment by providing a fitting experience. Instead of running away and tattling, the need to stand and fight by providing a wider range of golf balls.

bridgestone is a bigger company overall than acushnet

and acushnet is not even close to losing money, they were just sold for 1.2B and profited a pretty penny i believe in 2010

i count anything inside 150 as "around the green" as i expect everyone of these shots to be on and close, maybe its just me, but i make more birdies from good approaches than drives

So if that is the case and most tests show that most tour/premium balls offer similar spin on approach shots, wouldnt someone want to be fit where there would be a difference, in compression with the most violent swing.

Back