Any history enthusiasts here?

The French and Indian War, The American Revolution, The Civil War and World War I for me.

Yes absolutely. My favorites are
Greek and Roman Empires
European 500-1550
Golden Age of Piracy
Civil War
WW1
WW2

I love history. Actually studied that in college and finished with a BA and MA in History. The American Revolution, the Civil War, and World War II are probably my favorite reading topics. Native American history prior to European arrivals is also really interesting to me. Also always been intrigued by Egyptian history. I really like it all. lol

Love it. I read a lot. Do a ton of historical fiction, various different time pieces.

Graduated with a BA in History and English. I originally had a love for Colonial American (actually did some reenacting in my younger days). I found a real affinity for the World Wars and really dove deep into the Cold War. Wrote a couple papers in college that won a few awards at research symposiums and through my school. It was pretty neat.

Always will be a big part of my life!

I love history. Actually studied that in college and finished with a BA and MA in History. The American Revolution, the Civil War, and World War II are probably my favorite reading topics. Native American history prior to European arrivals is also really interesting to me. Also always been intrigued by Egyptian history. I really like it all. lol
Very interesting. I was a history major in college many years ago. I went to school in Gettysburg and I get back there frequently.

The Saratoga battlefield isn’t too far from me. I go there at least once a year.

As an amateur geologist, I like studying earth's history from that angle.

Not so much how Ma Earth was made, but how mountains, valleys, and rivers are where they are. Why the same rock can be found on different continents. Knowing that the Sahara desert was once full of trees, and other vegetation. Stuff like that.

Just another one of my life long hobbies.

Really enjoyed reading first-hand accounts of mountaineering expeditions. Tried to get into history novels after that but couldn’t do it. Museums are another story. My wife needs to drag me out. Love seeing that history in-person.

I have a degree in History, I'm a big buff. Especially American History, but the Napoleonic era & The Fall of the Monarchies around WWI is also great too.

@Bernoulli @MSEASU @JDax if you haven’t been to the WWI museum in Kansas City, it’s worth a trip out there just for that.

Very interesting. I was a history major in college many years ago. I went to school in Gettysburg and I get back there frequently.

The Saratoga battlefield isn’t too far from me. I go there at least once a year.
That's awesome. At some point, I'd like to do an east coast trip and visit some of the battlefields. One of the colleges in my area takes students on a tour of Sherman's march, which is pretty neat. We also have Camp Lawton right up the road. I actually did my Master's Thesis on the Battle of Brier Creek.

That's awesome. At some point, I'd like to do an east coast trip and visit some of the battlefields. One of the colleges in my area takes students on a tour of Sherman's march, which is pretty neat. We also have Camp Lawton right up the road. I actually did my Master's Thesis on the Battle of Brier Creek.
That's interesting to hear about your Thesis. There are so many Civil War and Revolutionary War battle sites to see. Gettysburg is definitely worth the time, if you have never been as Valley Forge.

I’m a big fan of history especially WWII. I highly recommend the WWII museum if you are ever in New Orleans. We’ve also been to the Secret Wartime Tunnels in Dover where the British had their headquarters for operation Dynamo which was portrayed in the movie “Dunkirk”. We have a trip planned to France in 2025 where will visit Normandy American Cemetery where one of my great uncles is buried along with the 9,386 other Americans who lost their lives in the D Day/Battle of Normandy campaign.

On a lighter note, my wife also enjoys history and sits on the executive council for the Minnesota Historical Society which takes us to a lot of fun historical sites locally.

I get buried in WWII documentaries and will watch them over and over. Seem to learn a little more each time no matter what. The D-Day memorial isn’t far from me and like to visit it when I can. I grew up in the middle of Civil War battlefields, lots of history literally in my back yard. My dad liked to relic hunt and our garden produced belt buckles, bullets, spurs, and tomatoes. He’d found tons of stuff as a kid with an old mine detector. Of course every vacation was a battlefield visit along the way, almost like summer school.

Big history buff. Thought about majoring in it in school, but wanted to be able to eat. haha

Grew up 10 minutes from a Civil War battlefield and around the oldest continuously occupied European settlement in the US, have an uncle who is a big history guy that lived near Atlanta and all those battlefields and would tell me all about history and give me books to read. I know the most about the US Civil War, but I enjoy anything from Ancient times up through the turn of the 20th century, especially the middle ages and Napoleonic eras.

Not a buff but I'm going to read a book about WWII soon. If I enjoy reading that I might get back to history books. I went through a phase of reading books on the old English monarchy a few years ago and really enjoyed them.

I also read Battle Cry of Freedom a few years ago too. A real eye opener as I didn't know anything about that subject.

Thinking about this though, even though the books are interesting and a good read I often finish them shaking my head at what has happened in history.

Last edited:
I love history. I primarily focus on earlier history, but love WWI and WWII as well. I enjoy learning anything I can.

I get buried in WWII documentaries and will watch them over and over. Seem to learn a little more each time no matter what. The D-Day memorial isn’t far from me and like to visit it when I can. I grew up in the middle of Civil War battlefields, lots of history literally in my back yard. My dad liked to relic hunt and our garden produced belt buckles, bullets, spurs, and tomatoes. He’d found tons of stuff as a kid with an old mine detector. Of course every vacation was a battlefield visit along the way, almost like summer school.
I binge watched the whole Hunting Hitler show in a couple days. All the evidence uncovered that backed up the theory that Hitler made it out of Germany was awesome.

I like history. I lie to read and think about it. I don’t consider myself a buff. I am not good at names and dates. But I can hold a pretty good conversation and intelligently contribute..

Massive history buff. BA in History, emphasizing 20th century US history but really interested in most anything. LOVED Gettysburgh. Really enjoy visiting Civil War sites. Recently I’ve been reading a lot about the land of Israel, Islam, Mohammed, the Arab/Israel history, etc. fascinating stuff.

I've always loved history. Lately, I've been focused on WWII. I'm retired Navy, so some of the stuff I've read is J.D. Hornfischer, Tameichi Hara, E.C. Raymer. I also follow podcasts like The Unauthorized History of the Pacific War and U.S. Navy Proceedings.

I just started reading The Armor of Light by Ken Follett. I love nonfiction but my favorite realm has always been historical fiction. I’ve literally read every Ken Follett novel up to this one. It’s the fifth in his Kingsbridge series.

Well crafted historical fiction just does such a good job of bringing certain eras to life.

Back