Anyone use a 64* wedge?

AENIGMA

Reaction score
Handicap
If this is the wrong section for a question like this, I apologise... still learning the ropes here...

This past weekend I found myself with a bunker inbetween me and the green three times. On two of the occasions, there was also a bunker on the other side of the green. On all three occasions, I used my 60* to try get onto the green.

Shot 1 - Over the bunker, bounces and rolls on the green and stops on the far fringe.

Shot 2 - Into the bunker in front of me, leaving me with getting out of the sand

Shot 3 - Scared of going too soft again, I put it on the green with one bounce into the far bunker

Ive been playing with the idea in my head to get a 64* wedge for shots like these, where I have to get the ball quite high in the air with loads of spin. I never intend to really play a full shot with the club, but only use it around the green, say within 20m where a chip wont work due to bunkers etc. and my 60* with an open face is less accurate.

So, my question, has anyone played a 64* and what are your experiences with this.

I believe most teachers would advise high handicappers to stay away from that much loft. Hank Haney, for example, doesn't even like high handicappers to use 60° wedges.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I don't like to play a 64*. Too much trouble!!! Thin shots are a norm unless you can stroke the sweet spot pretty much every time.

For those shots your talking about I just open my 58* up flat on the ground, put the ball slightly forward in my stance, aim about 5 feet left of the pin, and depending on the strength of my swing I get 10-40 yards with no rollout. Maybe try practicing that first until you master it!

Tempo, timing, tapping.

Thanks for the answers so far. Appreciate your views.

I agree with both of you, but I have this little voice in the back of my head that is begging me to try it out... I took the plunge and ordered a new 64* TM xFT. Can go pick it up on Friday hopefully and test it over the weekend on the course. Will also try and hit a bucket before the round to get a feel for it.

i don't think you need as much loft as that,a 60 is sufficient enough for whats needed in and around the greens.

I had one for about a week, I thought it was nice for tight pins but it was really tough to get used to for other shots. It was fun to hit monster flop shots.

I have never owned anything beyond 56 segrees. When the shot must be high and short for me, I simply open up my 56 degree. Never had room in the bag for anything with more loft. I can make my 56 be 58, 60 or whatever by opening it up.

I have never owned anything beyond 56 segrees. When the shot must be high and short for me, I simply open up my 56 degree. Never had room in the bag for anything with more loft. I can make my 56 be 58, 60 or whatever by opening it up.

Agreed. I recently look my 60* out of the bag and replaced it with an 18* Hybrid. I found myself more in need of a club between a 3w and my 3h. I don't think I ever hit a shot with a 60* that was either a) any good or b) something I couldnt have done equal or better had I used a 56*

64* just scares me to death

In my experience I can do anything I need with a 56 degree wedge. It does get very tricky at 60 and up IMO. Plus you then have to remove another club from your bag to stay at 14 and typically it is just not worth the ROI.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I have only hit one at The Kingdom and I tried to hit a full shots with it only, probably 5 shots total. I could only get 45 to 50 yards max with it in the area we had our wedge shot competition (I did get it over the creek that was about 40 yards out everytime though). That was just barely reaching the green, even in the setting you have proposed, I cannot see bagging a club that would get me no more distance than that.

I have used a 60* before, but like others found it did more harm than good. I used that club slot and went for tighter gaps in my wedge set-up and practice using 56* with open faced shots for sand.

I have a 60* that was a hand me down. I put it in my bag from time to time but it really only ever got me into more trouble than it got me out of. As of now I have a 56* set wedge which is the highest lofted club in my bag. That being said it is exiting my bag in favor of a 3 wedge set I just ordered from Eidolon in 50/54/58. I stayed away from the 60 because of my past experience and I figured that if I needed to get more up I could always open the club face on the 58.

In my experience I can do anything I need with a 56 degree wedge. It does get very tricky at 60 and up IMO. Plus you then have to remove another club from your bag to stay at 14 and typically it is just not worth the ROI.

Tappin' from my iPad!

This. Removing another club to stay at 14 wouldnt be worth carrying a 64*.

Question for the OP, what wedges do you currently have in your bag? Adding in a 64*, what club will you be removing?

Highest wedge I play is a 56*, and opening the club face a bit gets the results that I need. At one point in time, I carried a 60*, but like others have said, wasnt a big fan of it. Lately, I have been trying to play my wedges as utility club, learning how to hit new shots with them, that way I dont have "specialty" wedges that are used for only one type of shot.

For most bladed wedges, you can turn the club clockwise in your hand to open it up, and then lay back on your stance and you're looking at around at least 65 degrees.. I'd never play a 64 degree wedge. It's just such a limited use club. I made a point to change my wedge setup because I was generally unwilling to use a 60 degree wedge.

Next time you're struggling with a short short, try bailing out to a higher percentage area of the green, or opening up the club and taking a bigger swing but getting fully under the ball. There's plenty of flop in a 60 degree wedge!!!

I have a PW, SW and 60*. So effectively, a 45*, 55* and 60*.

I only have 13 clubs in currently; so the 14th will be this wedge.

I hit my driver well. A good drive is always around 280-320. My 3 wood is off the tee around 250m and then I have a 4 wood for the fairways that I do around 230m. I hit my 4 iron just over 200m and the rest have a 10-15m gap in between. My 60* on a full shot, is about 70-80m and at half a swing around 40m. Im looking for something comfortable to hit within 40m if I cant just chip with the PW.

I hit my driver well. A good drive is always around 280-320. My 3 wood is off the tee around 250m and then I have a 4 wood for the fairways that I do around 230m. I hit my 4 iron just over 200m and the rest have a 10-15m gap in between. My 60* on a full shot, is about 70-80m and at half a swing around 40m. Im looking for something comfortable to hit within 40m if I cant just chip with the PW.

If you're anything like me, if you want a new club, you will get it. If you feel the 64* would improve your game, then by all means put it in play.

For most bladed wedges, you can turn the club clockwise in your hand to open it up, and then lay back on your stance and you're looking at around at least 65 degrees.. I'd never play a 64 degree wedge. It's just such a limited use club. I made a point to change my wedge setup because I was generally unwilling to use a 60 degree wedge.

Next time you're struggling with a short short, try bailing out to a higher percentage area of the green, or opening up the club and taking a bigger swing but getting fully under the ball. There's plenty of flop in a 60 degree wedge!!!

I hear you, I shouldnt need a 64*. I need to put in more time with my other wedges but I find myself being able to play less golf towards the end of the year with work getting busier and my second baby just being born (second = last). So I am taking a shortcut, or rather what i believe to be a shortcut.

If you're anything like me, if you want a new club, you will get it. If you feel the 64* would improve your game, then by all means put it in play.

LOL, I do change equipment very often... this 64* is ordered and will hopefully be in-store by Friday. If not, then I will use it on the range next week and see how I fair. It will bother me, until I try it. If it doesnt work, well... I can always pass it on to the next willing victim!

i have a 60* and a 64* and i love them both. i use my 60* for close chips for pitches that i want to stop and i use my 64* for tight shots maybe only 1 or 2 shots a round sometimes but when i have a downhill chip with no green to work with i love this club.. i do practice A LOT with them both so i don't thin shots very often unless i open the face on my 64 to try a crazy shot like last week trying to get over a pine tree. lol its nice to have it in my bag for when i need it though.

I hear you, I shouldnt need a 64*. I need to put in more time with my other wedges but I find myself being able to play less golf towards the end of the year with work getting busier and my second baby just being born (second = last). So I am taking a shortcut, or rather what i believe to be a shortcut.

Hey, if the shoe fits, wear it!! I'm surprised you would rather go to a 64 instead of closing the gap between your PW and your 60 degree, but if you're comfortable with that setup, but all means go for it!!

i have a 60* and a 64* and i love them both. i use my 60* for close chips for pitches that i want to stop and i use my 64* for tight shots maybe only 1 or 2 shots a round sometimes but when i have a downhill chip with no green to work with i love this club.. i do practice A LOT with them both so i don't thin shots very often unless i open the face on my 64 to try a crazy shot like last week trying to get over a pine tree. lol its nice to have it in my bag for when i need it though.

*phew

I feel a lot better now. Thought I was the only one... even the salesman at the shop looked at me like I was crazy and said that they dont carry stock, cause they only sell one a year...

That is a pretty big gap between your SW and PW. I would advise against the 64* and get a 50* if you really need a new club, which will fill in that gap. The 60* should be more than enough loft for the situations you described, so it sounds like you just need to work on that shot and your technique a little more.

I do carry a 60* and use it quite often, rarely for full shots tough. Most higher HC players have a tough time with a 60, much less a 64.

Back