Anyone use a 64* wedge?

If you need more loft I would be inclined to simply open up the 60* a touch. Just my thoughts.

I have a 60* and it had hurt me quite a few times on thin shots. I have since practiced with it a lot and now I'm more confident with it, especially in deep bunkers. For most of my shots around the green though I'd use my 54*. Like others said you can hit most shots with the sand wedge alone. I find distance control difficult with the 60* when I'm further away from the green. I'm not too crazy about flop shots so I'm just looking to add a gap wedge to fill the void between my 47* PW and the 54*. I will probably replace the 54* and 60* with the mizuno R12's in 54* and 58* when they come out.

Ever try to open up the 60 degree, set your wrists early and play a flop?
This accesses the creative fun side of the brain honestly and pulling it off makes you feel great. Balls stop where they drop essentially no roll. You don't really need more equipment just some practice with variations on how you execute your shots with the 60 degree wedge... Others will argue that this is not high percentage but then again adding another club requires practice to understand how balls behave off of it too. So why not work with what you've got? A 60 degree opened up struck correctly will stop for sure (look up some videos on Youtube for step by step instructions if you need to).
Good luck!

If this is the wrong section for a question like this, I apologise... still learning the ropes here...

This past weekend I found myself with a bunker inbetween me and the green three times. On two of the occasions, there was also a bunker on the other side of the green. On all three occasions, I used my 60* to try get onto the green.

Shot 1 - Over the bunker, bounces and rolls on the green and stops on the far fringe.

Shot 2 - Into the bunker in front of me, leaving me with getting out of the sand

Shot 3 - Scared of going too soft again, I put it on the green with one bounce into the far bunker

Ive been playing with the idea in my head to get a 64* wedge for shots like these, where I have to get the ball quite high in the air with loads of spin. I never intend to really play a full shot with the club, but only use it around the green, say within 20m where a chip wont work due to bunkers etc. and my 60* with an open face is less accurate.

So, my question, has anyone played a 64* and what are your experiences with this.

Wow a 64 is extreme I play a 60 and that's surely or to be enough loft! I do use mine alot sometimes gel

Sand or if I'm in the rough open the face and play it like a bunker shot! I can't imagine the night you would get with the 64 lay wide open!!!

Well, I have now played two rounds with the club, and thought I'd post some of my thoughts on it here again.

I probably use the club about 6 times per round. If I'm in the sand, and there is a high lip with the ball sitting up, its a pleasure to use. Just lift it out of the sand and the ball drops nicely. Around the green from anywhere within 40m its pretty accurate. I've put some effort in the club at the range and it paid off. Only hit one off the leading edge and let one slide off the face, so pretty good rewards from the club. I love how I dont have to open the face to get stellar height and stopping power.

Two tips though... dont use it if you are in the rough. Your club will slide under the ball and you might end with the ball hardly going 10m...

Dont be afraid to hit it. I do a half a swing at 20m to get it on the green. At 40m Im basically doing a full swing. You cant be scared of the club, you really have to put some effort into it to get the ball to react. The problem with this, is that if you do hit it on the edge, your out of the hole.

Id honestly recommend the club to anyone thats not particularly happy with their game around the green... but as a few said in here, you need to hit it quite a bit on the range before taking it on course. I hope to still improve it, but on day 1 at the range, I wanted to throw it in the bushes...

Will give more comments after a month of play.

EDIT: Oh yes, I had a bunker with hard sand in it on Saturday. This thing does wonders from hard sand!

Glad to hear that the 64 is working out for you.

Back