Are Sunglasses Optional?

I always wear sunglasses, my eyes are very sensitive to light so even on overcast days I will wear them.

Having a chat elsewhere about this, I realized it's just 100% standard for me to take sunglasses to the course and wear them pretty much any time I am outside with even a hint of sun in the forecast.

Is it an optional thing for you? Can you get away without them?
Not really optional for me.

I rolled our car into a tree in 2006. It came through the window and my face broke the tree in half. Ok... so probably not exactly my face breaking the tree, but the tree trunk did hit me squarely in the face. Broke a bunch of crap and gave me a concussion.

Thankfully no major lasting effects. The longest lasting thing has been my eyes don't adjust well to bright lights. Light that is too intense just gives me headaches... I can't work in a dark office with bright monitors, or drive without sunglasses, and I don't go out for golf without them either.

I can’t wear them to golf. I struggle with ball striking consistency for some reason. Other than that I always wear them when outside.

I never wear sunglasses on the course. Always wear them driving.

For golf I have two sunglasses (I'm a prescription guy so I need eye help) one with golf lenses from Oakley and the other is the dark golf lenses (for more really sunny skies). Even on overcast days I'm wearing the golf lenses as it does seem to make the green greener and whites pop more.

They're optional for me. I almost never wear them. I asked my optometrist about it and he just shrugged and said "some people are just very light sensitive and really need them - obviously you're not one of them."

Great question. I work Oakley polarized lenses for quite a few years to golf and one year they just messed my perception up somehow so I stopped. Next year at my eye exam I was given a talking to, so back came the glasses.

I have lenses just for golf, lenses just for winter, lenses just for low light and lenses just for driving. Sadly despite the fact that I spend most of my day working outside I cannot wear glasses when working due to dumb safety rules.

100% mandatory for me or I'll end up with a migraine

There is a lot of ignorance in this thread.

I only have two eyes and want to keep them so I always wear quality sunglasses when outside during the day. UV rays are still damaging your eyes even if it is cloudy outside. I haven't played a round of golf without sunglasses in more than 30 years. Protect your eyes with quality sunglasses if you value your eyesight.

Last edited:
Ever since my lasik surgery many years ago my eyes are more sensitive to bright light. I almost always wear shades.

I actually have two main pair of shades I use on the golf course. In bright sun I use my Maui Jim’s with darker bronze lenses. In lower light I have a pair of Tifosi wraps in a lighter amber tint.

Last edited:
I have around 30 pair of Oakley’s that I rotate between daily wear and sports. I have certain lenses that are better for golf than others.

I don’t leave the house without a pair.

Not for me. No. I get really bad headaches in the sun if I don't wear them.

I can't wear sunglasses while I golf. It is weird. Sweat bands are ok though.

Never wear them, and haven’t for as long as I can remember, but with that said my new prescription glasses will have transition lenses.

I wear them everywhere except the golf course. I sometimes bring them and put them on between shots on full sun days but normally just go without while golfing.

I can get away without them but I prefer to have them on.
When I am playing golf, I will have them on then take them off for a few holes then put them back on.
Sometimes I will just take them off to hit and then put them back on.

For most of my life I was no sun glasses. I finally broke down and got transition lenses. Won’t go back now.

Yes. Required.

Having a chat elsewhere about this, I realized it's just 100% standard for me to take sunglasses to the course and wear them pretty much any time I am outside with even a hint of sun in the forecast.

Is it an optional thing for you? Can you get away without them?
No, I need them. Blue eyes with increased sensitivity to sunlight, causes eye strain and headaches. Prefer them to be polarized,

For those that sunglasses affect depth perception or otherwise mess you up while golfing, do your sunglasses have curved lenses? I have to have relatively flat lenses to see properly. My eye doctor confirmed my observations and said it’s a common problem for some people

I absolutely need mine. It’s bright in AZ

All the talk of golf specific lenses makes me want some Oakleys, but I haven't had great luck finding ones that fit me.

All the talk of golf specific lenses makes me want some Oakleys, but I haven't had great luck finding ones that fit me.
Too big or small??

Too small
I originally bought them for everyday rather than golf but I do enjoy the Holbrook XL for golf too. I got a fat noggin! I feel your pain a lot of the “golf” ones don’t seem to work well for me

Back