Are Sunglasses Optional?

Sunglasses are mandatory for me. I have 3 pair of prescription sunglasses. One stays in the car, one in the golf bag, and one is a floater in case one of them break.

I never wore them when playing until about a year and a half ago. I always wore contact lenses and could not stand playing with any kind of glasses on. Decided I was done with contact lenses so now wear prescription transitional lenses while playing. Took me a while to get used to rearing glasses while playing.

When I used to wear contacts, I wore them more often. About 20 years after LASIK, my eyesight dropped to about 20/30. My optometrist said they could do a corrective procedure, but I'd need reading glasses after the procedure. She encouraged me to get a weak Rx that I could wear when I wanted over needing readers all of the time.

I made the mistake of buying polarized Rx sunglases and trying to play in them. Couldn't hit the ball to save my life. I got some non-polarized Oakley Prizm's that I wear for golf now. But I'm fine playing in my glasses as well - even on bright days. I hate shifting back and forth during rounds where it goes from cloudy to partly sunny to cloudy again so I tend to only wear my sunglasses on clear/mostly clear days.

I don't own a pair of sunglasses. I've looked into them and just haven't pulled the trigger. Not sure I really even know what I'm looking for on the lense type or fit/finish/style/color...

I have very light blue eyes so I must wear sunglasses otherwise I squint and tear up. So they are a must for me.

I wear sunglasses outside all the time unless it is raining or nighttime. I have dry eye syndrome so even the transitions I wear when I golf sometimes aren’t dark enough so have to have eye drops nearby.

I don't own a pair of sunglasses. I've looked into them and just haven't pulled the trigger. Not sure I really even know what I'm looking for on the lense type or fit/finish/style/color...
Oakleys are the only sunglasses I've worn for at least the last 35 years or so. I hate the prices, but love the quality of the optics and the styles, and they last forever (if I don't lose them).

I wear mine when outside almost always, often it not even bright out, but by the time I realize it my eyes are already used to having them on. They don't generally come off on the golf course unless it's really overcast.
Well Done Good Job GIF by Robert E Blackmon

@Bus did the glasses make it in time for the trip?

Having a chat elsewhere about this, I realized it's just 100% standard for me to take sunglasses to the course and wear them pretty much any time I am outside with even a hint of sun in the forecast.

Is it an optional thing for you? Can you get away without them?
On golf course hit or miss driving and out and about...always

Not sure the stigma I have at golf course. I think it's annoying to swing and have them shift or the sun/cloud becomes annoying to put them on and off.

Reactions: Bus
On golf course hit or miss driving and out and about...always

Not sure the stigma I have at golf course. I think it's annoying to swing and have them shift or the sun/cloud becomes annoying to put them on and off.
I know what at least part of my stigma is with them - we play a lot of golf in hot weather, and it's really, really annoying when you have sweat dripping onto your lenses every time you look down and you have to constantly be wiping/cleaning your sunglasses.

I wear my prescription polarized sunglasses any time I'm outside with even a hint of sunshine. My eyes are grey, so I'm pretty sensitive to bright light. They never come off during a round, unless I get sunscreen in my eyes and need to rinse it out. The polarization also makes it easier to find golf balls in the water, not that I ever hit them in there...🤦‍♂️

I played with my regular glasses yesterday because it was rainy/drizzly. I’m not a fan of regular glasses and much prefer my sunglasses. They hold so much better making them feel more secure. I think I’m going to change to an amber Rx lens. Amber brightens things up for me so I should be able to wear it even on cloudy days.

Back