Are you an Angry Golfer?

anotherday

Reaction score
You know what I'm talking about. Shank a shot or miss an easy putt and blow up? It could even be in response to someone else's poor etiquette. Do you blow up and chuck a club? Yell? Cursing is a given... Are you the guy or girl that no one can talk to for at least 3 holes (or until your next nice shot)?

I'll start. At first I wasn't an angry golfer because I felt like I didn't have a right to take the game so seriously as a beginner. I had no clue what I was doing so what was there to get angry about? As I progressed I found that I started getting really angry about bad shots. In golf you typically have seen almost every shot after years of playing... so you feel like you should just do what you've done before.

Lately I've been keeping a log of things that strike me as important to remember while I'm out on the course and the last 3 rounds have included the note: "Calm down!" It is a work in progress, though one that I believe will keep golf fun for a long time.

So.. do you sometimes blur the line between healthy competitiveness and outright angry golfer?

You know what I'm talking about. Shank a shot or miss an easy putt and blow up? It could even be in response to someone else's poor etiquette. Do you blow up and chuck a club? Yell? Cursing is a given... Are you the guy or girl that no one can talk to for at least 3 holes (or until your next nice shot)?

Wheres the etiquette in that?

I say FLICK alot lol. :alien::blob: "flick" is my word of choice. I also call myself stupid alot on the golf course.

The only thing that really bothers me is when I am waiting on the group ahead for no apparent reason other than they are slow.

Bad shots I can liove with because I know with my game, they are going to happen. Slow play directly in front of me is my Kryptonite.

I hate slow play so so much

Agreed Especially when you're on a roll and then hit slow play. But I'm not an angry golfer but I have been known to pout if not having a good round but I handle my emotions pretty good. My dad on the other hand? ohhhh man haha

The only time I ever come close to "losing" it is this situation and I am in it a lot these days:

Im behind a 4-some that plays slow so I have to wait like 10 minutes on the tee. I finally hit my drive and its in the fairway so I drive up and proceed to take a few practice swings while I wait for them to putt out. They finally finish and I line up and SHANK! the ball.

This is why I smoke cigarettes and occasionally drink on the course

I say FLICK alot lol. :alien::blob: "flick" is my word of choice. I also call myself stupid alot on the golf course.

I have adopted the Battlestar Galactica "frak" as my curse word of choice. Although I certainly don't get angry like I used to, and if I do a long sip of water usually helps me clear my head.

I've tried calming down on the course...a lot! I've never been one to scream curse words and I've only thrown one club in my day (I felt like it was okay because I was by myself). But boy can I get a pot of emotions boiling over inside of me!!! To the point where I can be on my way to a round of high 70's to low 80's and then ...BAM. I rack up three or four holes of triple or even quadruple bogey because I've lost my cool on the inside.

The one time I completely lost my cool was a couple of weekends ago when I got behind two groups of 4 each (all elderly ladies) and was waiting forever on every hole. I got to a par three only to find the first group just getting ready to pull the flag on the green. Count it...TWELVE minutes for 4 ladies to putt out and leave the green. NINETEEN minutes for the second group of four to play the hole.

Now this isn't what sent me over the edge. What did it is over the next several holes the group of two guys behind us hit into us on three different ocassions. After the second which landed ahead of us I went and had a literally friendly talk with them explaining that their actions would not make the ladies in front of us move any quicker. I asked them if they would like to join our group and they said no. On the next hole was the third time they did it and I called the club house. The Marshall talked to them and it didn't happen the next hole, but on the 16th a ball rolls up next to my bag on the ground, and a SECOND lands about 10 yards past me about 30 seconds later. Now they really can't see me due to the hill they were hitting up, but they absolutely without a doubt knew we were up there waiting on the ladies. So in a fit of rage I grab my 52* and send both of their balls straight oob and into the ocean. When the guys pull up next to us they have the nerve to be smiling and asking us where their balls landed... Seriously? I told them that they both ended up in the drink and that they would take theirselves back to the teebox and tee off again once we were through with the hole, an that if a golf ball of theirs came within 200 yards of us again I wouldn't be leaving the course until they were banned.

That's the absolute worst I've ever lost my temper on the course. Sorry for the long story.

Tempo, timing, tapping.

I used to get quite angry on the course. Never much of a club thrower, but did my share of cursing. I now am able to completely contain it and usually just go into silent mode for a few minutes.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I really do not get angry on the course, but slow play will get me the hottest. Right behind that is groups hitting into me.

So.. do you sometimes blur the line between healthy competitiveness and outright angry golfer?

Never.....it's just golf.

Well...maybe once. The only time I "expressed myself" was when I went to an expensive resort club, got a cart and drove off to the range only to hear a loud click coming from the front right tire. There was a large roofing nail in the tire so I drive back and had to transfer all our crap to another cart. Seven holes later that cart died. I was quite expressive to the staff there.

I think those days are behind me. I snapped my driver a long time ago when I was in high school, But I think besides me cursing at myself under my breath on a rare occasion or telling myself I suck after missing a putt I don't blow up. I accept that I'll hit bad shots and I don't get that upset anymore. I don't enjoy playing with people that flip out. And throw clubs or are pissed off for 3 holes. Makes me uncomfortable sometimes. I played with a guy I work with the other day and he flipped cause he 3 putted from 6 feet on a par 3 and went to hit his ball away and took a huge chunk out of the green when he missed his ball 3 inches from the hole. I told him I'd never play with him again. He didn't understand why and I wasn't gonna explain it to him. He cursed and threw his clubs half the round. Prob one of the least fun rounds I've ever played.

The only time I ever come close to "losing" it is this situation and I am in it a lot these days:

Im behind a 4-some that plays slow so I have to wait like 10 minutes on the tee. I finally hit my drive and its in the fairway so I drive up and proceed to take a few practice swings while I wait for them to putt out. They finally finish and I line up and SHANK! the ball.

This is why I smoke cigarettes and occasionally drink on the course

Amen on the cigs.... At this point in my life I seem to only get upset after a MONSTER drive...I'm 75ish yards out, sitting square in the middle of the greenest fairway in the world and I hit one so fat, Barnum & Bailey call me... Now, I'm laying 2.... 57ish yards out.... OH THIS KILLS ME!

I've been known to drop an F bomb but I never throw clubs or spaz out. I never even swear unless I am playing with people I am familiar with. Hawk has seen me act like a child once or twice, but its mostly just whining.

I used to be an angery golfer but not any more. I'm not saying I don't get mad but I let it go very fast....I do agree with all of you with slow play!

I golf, therefore I curse.

I've tossed a club or two over the years...busted the window of a cart along w. my 9-iron doing that once and haven't done it since. I have realized it makes everyone else uncomfortable when anyone loses their cool. I dont want to be the one to spoil someone else's game so I limit it to the occasional curse or "D-oh" and headslap. People firing warning shots into me is another subject, especially if there's slow play ahead. It's one thing to get ahold of one and send a ball into the group ahead of you accidentally. Followup actions tell the tale. If they drive up apologizing, it's cool.

Oh, I've been known to use a few four letter words other than golf at times, but that's about it.

I don't get too awful angry on the course, I'm going to hit bad shots, but I will get a bit animated if I sink a long putt or stick a wedge on the last hole to tie or win a match lol.

I play a lot better when I don't get mad so no I am not, I am a happy golfer. People who get mad when they play I want to tell them they aren't good enough to expect a different outcome so instead of getting mad and slamming clubs and stomping around they should go practice more.

I was a horrible angry golfer, I tossed clubs into lakes & ponds. Scuffed up greens, broke putters, cursed at my playing partners and they did the same.
One day it just stopped. I know it's because my company changed and those that I hung with were really chill guys. I still get upset over bonehead choices but it's a minimum. Life is way to short and the out come of anyone shot will only affect my score not my life. I'm not judged on my score but how I walk through this life is very important to me.
Being angry was very expensive for me. There are at least 4 Scotty cams in the canal fronting the 6th green at The Biltmore Hotel in Coral gables, FL. That was my favorite place to toss my putters.

Kongfrontation

I very rarely get mad on the course, and I have never been a club thrower. I've seen others blow, throw clubs, kick dirt etc so I know how bad it makes them look and I have no interest in making a fool of myself for others entertainment.

Can't let something that's supposed to be fun make you angry!
I love playing golf, but I don't think I've ever let it get to me. I do not like to wait 5 mins at the tee box for some slow players, but it's a part of golf.

It takes a lot to get me annoyed on the golf course. Maybe once in a while a mild curse under my breath at a botched chip, but NEVER to the extent where anyone else would know! If it ever gets to the point that I become angry all the time, I will quit playing!

I'm not saying I don't get upset, because I do, but at most I just let a club go (just drop it, not throw it), or wave my arms in the air.

I go into silent mode when I get angry. I try not to get angry but slow play and bad shots really perturb me.

Back