Are you an Angry Golfer?

Same with me Degoins I stop talking don't curse or anything throw anything but silent mode doesn't help the round usually a good hole brings me right out of my pity party LOL.

Used to be easy to rile up, but I have mellowed with age. Once you find that scores go down when you play one shot at a time its easier to keep yourself in check. Slow play can't be dealt with as it happening, its systemic and must be killed from the root.

I tend to drop a four letter word immediately following a bad shot, but I will usually move on quickly. If I hit a couple in a row, I will get real annoyed with myself. But usually I will just grab a couple clubs and walk to my next shot alone. I can usualy calm down by the time I get to the ball.

When I'm focused, I can get really angry. I'm like Fowler when he plays. When Fowler is in the zone, He looks like he might chop someone's head off. But when he's not very serious or focused, He smiles alot. That's basically me.

No, I am playing golf, why would I be mad? I will say a swear word after a shank or something, but I am not mad, just frustrated, and I quickly move on.

When I'm focused, I can get really angry. I'm like Fowler when he plays. When Fowler is in the zone, He looks like he might chop someone's head off. But when he's not very serious or focused, He smiles alot. That's basically me.

Yeah man. Totally like fowler!

I've tried calming down on the course...a lot! I've never been one to scream curse words and I've only thrown one club in my day (I felt like it was okay because I was by myself). But boy can I get a pot of emotions boiling over inside of me!!! To the point where I can be on my way to a round of high 70's to low 80's and then ...BAM. I rack up three or four holes of triple or even quadruple bogey because I've lost my cool on the inside.

The one time I completely lost my cool was a couple of weekends ago when I got behind two groups of 4 each (all elderly ladies) and was waiting forever on every hole. I got to a par three only to find the first group just getting ready to pull the flag on the green. Count it...TWELVE minutes for 4 ladies to putt out and leave the green. NINETEEN minutes for the second group of four to play the hole.

Now this isn't what sent me over the edge. What did it is over the next several holes the group of two guys behind us hit into us on three different ocassions. After the second which landed ahead of us I went and had a literally friendly talk with them explaining that their actions would not make the ladies in front of us move any quicker. I asked them if they would like to join our group and they said no. On the next hole was the third time they did it and I called the club house. The Marshall talked to them and it didn't happen the next hole, but on the 16th a ball rolls up next to my bag on the ground, and a SECOND lands about 10 yards past me about 30 seconds later. Now they really can't see me due to the hill they were hitting up, but they absolutely without a doubt knew we were up there waiting on the ladies. So in a fit of rage I grab my 52* and send both of their balls straight oob and into the ocean. When the guys pull up next to us they have the nerve to be smiling and asking us where their balls landed... Seriously? I told them that they both ended up in the drink and that they would take theirselves back to the teebox and tee off again once we were through with the hole, an that if a golf ball of theirs came within 200 yards of us again I wouldn't be leaving the course until they were banned.

That's the absolute worst I've ever lost my temper on the course. Sorry for the long story.

Tempo, timing, tapping.

Those guys deserved much much worse than what you gave them! I applaud you for keeping your cool.

forty years ago spent a lot of time on the course mad--most any thing would get my goat but never threw(or beat) a club... Now I mutter '****' alot but I get to go play a game whenever I want(seasonally anyway) so what is there to be upset about!!!! The folks ahead of me can take their time--for the most part anyway

Back in my junior golf days, i'd get mad & slap the stand of my bag constantly. Or take my putter to the instep of my foot. These days, nothing really bothers me. I'm out on a beautiful golf course, enjoying the sun & weather...it's fantastic. I love & treasure my time out there and don't let the little things get to me anymore. I don't play often so why ruin my day by acting up is how I see it.

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Wheres the etiquette in that?

Haha, there is a bit of irony in that part huh? One of my playing partners does this (probably unintentionally).. when someone talks in her backswing she can usually be caught complaining about it when someone else is in the middle of their shot.

Here is a recent blow up at the golf course that I haven't gotten off my chest. Indulge me..

I had my first big blow up confrontation since leaving the military.. We were in a group of 5 - the trade-off for the big group was that we'd be teeing off at 3pm on a day that called for T-storms at 5pm. So we limp through the front 9 slowly.. about one hole off the pace. But on the back 9 we pick it up and start to close the gap a bit more. We are on a par 4, all of us about 100 yards out from the pin and we hear from the elevated tee box on our hole, "Can we play through!?!!!" Needless to say, we all ignored the repeated 300+ yard shouts. So we go to the next hole, another par 4. The 2some behind us still hasn't caught up to our tee so that they could ask properly. As we are driving off the tee we hear, "HEY!" So another 250 yards out, the shouts continue. They get pretty irate over us not letting them play through, even though they aren't great players themselves, let alone fast players for being a group of 2. To top it off... two balls go sailing by us..

They end up calling over the marshall, who ends up being the cart boy (because it is about 645pm by now and the marshall is probably long gone) and he tells us that we are playing too slow. That is about when I lost it and unload on these guys. They had the nerve to suggest that we weren't polite by refusing to let them play through even though they "asked" multiple times.

I could fill a whole page with things they said that were just insanely rude, racist, and overall ignorant. The happy ending comes with everyone in my group being able to regain composure and get back to golfing after the altercation. Even shot my first round in the 80's. The funny thing is that I had done a really good job that day holding in any silly outbursts up until then.. but I think this one was warranted.

Ahh... that feels better. Thanks!

Last edited:
I try not to worry about it. I figured If I was almost a perfect ball striker I would be on tour .lol I have fun, thats what I care about. I found this thread interesting because today. There were 4 girl from UT golf team playing in front of us. One of the girls I was watching(yes just watching because they walked were not very good) after every bad shot she would slam the club & curse. I watched in disbelief that she would behave like that. It was practice & it was free. I dont know about you guys . I play R11 Driver so did she. On 2 tee she hit a horrible shot. She took that baby & smashed it against her irons. I cringed at the sound. So sad...

when i was a junior i was proper crabbit when it all went wrong.i wouldn't throw my clubs but i would curse and be so annoyed with myself,i would also let i play on my mind and play bad for a few holes.

now all i will do is mutter to myself and call myself an ass for making such a mistake.i also try and put it behind me because you can get those shots back on the next hole with a birdie.

Not hardly, I might mumble a few bad words to my self but NEVER will I throw a club, scream or curse loudly on a golf course. Just like today I had 2 groups of 4 I got behind on the 6th hole and they were hitting 2 balls each until the 9th hole, I was pretty pissed off but I kept it to myself.

I am actually pretty similar. I used to get really mad really easily. I have thrown a few clubs, but I don't anymore. I still cuss now and then, but have learned to control my anger. I never look happy though. No matter how good I play, I still look really mad. My coach can always tell how I am playing by my body language. I actually smile more when I am sucking.

i dont get angry at anything on the golf course...although noise during my swing does annoy me. whether its someone talking, or messing about with their clubs..

Nope----I bought a membership to play and RELAX. I reminded myself getting stressed out over a game shortens rather than prolongs my time on Earth.

Never an angry golfer, never threw a club and if I ever curse on the course, it's inside my own head. I can get as frustrated as the next guy but I'll never take the game too seriously. As long as the kids and wife are ok, all's good in the world.

Golf is my therapy and I'll be damned if I ever let my escape become just another problem in my world.

I know when there is money on the line, I love to be playing against the angry golfer. Any golfer who does not have his or her emotions in check, has little chance for success.

My usual outburst comes when I fail to adjust for an uphill putt, and leave it way short. I'll exclaim "Hit the ball Nancy!"
I learned my lesson when I was once paired with a nice older couple. I forget that the woman putting right after me was Nancy.
Right after I said it, I looked over at her and apologized. She understood I wasn't talking to her, but I was still embarrassed.

I used to be an angery golfer but not any more. I'm not saying I don't get mad but I let it go very fast....I do agree with all of you with slow play!

This is me as well. I used to throw a club or slam it into the ground or curse and huff and puff when I was younger, but now I know full well I just play for fun and I have to expect bad shots to happen and just let them go and instead be excited when I make a good shot. What I do now is when I hit one of those shots you know immediately is bad I tend to let go of the club at the end of my backswing and it drops to my feet, but I don't get mad or yell or throw anything any more. Slow play still gets very frustrating, though. And most slow players are bad anyway but still want to take a million practice swings, line up putts from both sides twice, etc. Just hit it.

. I can get as frustrated as the next guy but I'll never take the game too seriously. As long as the kids and wife are ok, all's good in the world.

Golf is my therapy and I'll be damned if I ever let my escape become just another problem in my world.
well said!!!

Eff NO!

Kidding. I'm not. Seriously.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I guess i'm pretty mellow compared to most of you who commented. I do get mad and frustrated over a bad shot and I would say "STUPID!" and then kept lecturing to myself for the next minute. My playing buddies know not to talk to me until I return to normal again.

If I have a bad shot, I'll sulk a bit until my next good shot. I only get angry at a shot that should have had a good result but didn't. Then I'll unhelpfully start losing my temper with myself. I never yell out loud or at anyone, but I'll mutter and curse under my breath and give my clubs dirty looks. Today, I hit a great pitch over a bunker into a strong hill on the green, that would usually bounce once and stop but this time didn't bounce and rolled 40 feet up the hill and off the back of the green. Then the next hole I hit my GW (normally 100 yards) 130 yards over a green into a dead zone. Rest of the round sucked because I was angry with myself. Stupid and self defeating, but couldn't help it (playing in our last tourney of the year with a sandbagger didn't help-guy's cap says he should shoot 80, but I've played with him 4 times in the past 3 weeks and 76 was his worst score!).

When I was younger I would let a bad hole ruin my entire game. I quit the game for number of years and made a promise to myself that I wouldn't let bad outcomes bother me as much as they used to. So far so good.

Back