Pharaoh

🌹Grandaddy X 🌹 #TeamLegacy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So in general I’ve been doing really well in my am tour events. Top finishes pretty much every event but one major win this year. This last month really feels like there should have been atleast 1 win but I would say 2. Unfortunately just haven’t gotten any good bounces at sll in tournaments lately. Or just rotten luck like somehow plugging on a great drive in a fairway or a ball mark in front a 7 ft birdie putt (Putt bounced of course.). You try not to get frustrated but it definitely bugs you. You feel like you are scrambling all the time when you really shouldn’t have to and should be getting scoring opportunities. Whats weird is I played casually last week and got decent bounces. Not great but not ones that left you with some super hard shot.

Have you all gone through a streak of terrible breaks round after round? Did you do something to try to change it? Or did you just simply grind through it?

You just have to grind through. Rub of the green stuff like you described is out of your control. Keep making good swings and hit the shots you envision.

I am still a firm believer in the law of averages and some of those breaks will start going your way.

It’s golf. Control what you can and don’t sweat the rest. (Way easier said than done).

In general if I’ve put a good swing on it that’s enough for me. I try and laugh off any bad breaks. But I think we’ve all had those stretches where everything gets a bad bounce, lips out, etc.

It just means you’re due for one of those good luck stretches soon. This too shall pass.

With a completely different game than most, I hardly ever consider bad luck as having anything to do with my scores. In fact, the fortunate bounces come to mind more so than the unfortunate ones.

You didn’t get relief from a plugged lie in a fairway?

To me it’s all about how you deal with it. Did a good swing put you in a bad spot? Focus on the good swing. If a bad swing or decision put you in that spot, then learn from it and move on. It’s all you can do.

Even with relief the ball plugging means they probably lost 20+ yards of roll which is bad luck.

I got relief but unfortunately that plug blocked me out by a tree in the middle of the fairway. 10 more yards and it’s a green light to the green but that ball should have been 30 extra yards. What’s weird is we saw it bounce once coming in hot to the fairway. There is the chance the group in front of us did something to my ball because they complained to the asst director that we hit into them (Total accident/couldn’t see them hidden behind trees as they drove back toward the tee to hit after we started hitting our drives when we thought they were gone. They were slow all day despite driving all over the course when it was cart path only. They refused to walk at all or play ready golf.). The asst director told them more or less to suck it up after finding out that broke the course rules and were still slowing up play.)

Yes, this has happened to me. When this happens I find a way to reset. I may take a week or so off but I'll at least change something in my golfing routine. Something I like to do is watch a lot of swing videos of a pro who inspires something in my swing. I don't try to emulate but watch for timing and maybe technique. I'll skip a golf session and just concentrate on the video set I'm using to correct my imbalance.

I was one of the 2-3 favorites in my CC last year and shot an 82 in the first round. I hadn't shot over 78 in ~3 months. In the round i had 2 unplayable lies (can't recall another one the entire season) and ended up dead stymied behind a tree the only 2 times i missed the fairway with driver. Also lipped out about 2-3 putts.

It took pretty much all of my strength not to throw my bag in a lake after that round

Nothing you can do really other than to control your own attitude while accepting the challenges a bad break deals you. Dwelling on it destroys almost any chance to play your next shot as well as you're capable of. Good breaks and bad breaks happen to everyone, always have, always will.

I got relief but unfortunately that plug blocked me out by a tree in the middle of the fairway. 10 more yards and it’s a green light to the green but that ball should have been 30 extra yards. What’s weird is we saw it bounce once coming in hot to the fairway. There is the chance the group in front of us did something to my ball because they complained to the asst director that we hit into them (Total accident/couldn’t see them hidden behind trees as they drove back toward the tee to hit after we started hitting our drives when we thought they were gone. They were slow all day despite driving all over the course when it was cart path only. They refused to walk at all or play ready golf.). The asst director told them more or less to suck it up after finding out that broke the course rules and were still slowing up play.)
If you saw it bounce then chances are they did step on it…that sucks.

Golf is fickle, and the bounces aren't always what you want or need.

What you might deem bad luck, is probably more normal for others.

You can't play a PB round every time, won't always hoist the trophy, or even always play decent golf. Accepting that and not dwelling on a bad shot or bad round is part of the mental game that can be hard.

So in general I’ve been doing really well in my am tour events. Top finishes pretty much every event but one major win this year. This last month really feels like there should have been atleast 1 win but I would say 2. Unfortunately just haven’t gotten any good bounces at sll in tournaments lately. Or just rotten luck like somehow plugging on a great drive in a fairway or a ball mark in front a 7 ft birdie putt (Putt bounced of course.). You try not to get frustrated but it definitely bugs you. You feel like you are scrambling all the time when you really shouldn’t have to and should be getting scoring opportunities. Whats weird is I played casually last week and got decent bounces. Not great but not ones that left you with some super hard shot.

Have you all gone through a streak of terrible breaks round after round? Did you do something to try to change it? Or did you just simply grind through it?
That is frustrating for sure. Good news is that you are in the mix and will get that win soon. Just keep plugging away, put the bad luck behind you and keep going.

Are you not able to repair a divot or ball mark on the green?

I deal with bad luck by telling myself that Golf is a stupid game. We hit it, find it, and hit it again.

Yesterday on a very windy day almost dead down wind I hit a shot into a green on the line I wanted. Downwind nothing was stopping so I was trying to land it just short of the green and let it run to the back pin. The 2nd bounce it kicked almost 90° right and rolled into a bunker.

Some shots workout some don’t. If you make enough good swings eventually things will work out.

That is frustrating for sure. Good news is that you are in the mix and will get that win soon. Just keep plugging away, put the bad luck behind you and keep going.

Are you not able to repair a divot or ball mark on the green?
The spot on the green was dead due to not being fixed. It was just dead brown mini divot essentially.

The driver thing my group still isn’t convinced the slow group didn’t mess with my ball behind the trees where we can’t see from the tee. It bounced hot on the fairway and when we got to it it was plugged into the ground and about 30 yards short of where it should be and happened to be lined up to block me out from the green which it should have been well passed the tree in the middle of the fairway.

The spot on the green was dead due to not being fixed. It was just dead brown mini divot essentially.

The driver thing my group still isn’t convinced the slow group didn’t mess with my ball behind the trees where we can’t see from the tee. It bounced hot on the fairway and when we got to it it was plugged into the ground and about 30 yards short of where it should be and happened to be lined up to block me out from the green which it should have been well passed the tree in the middle of the fairway.
There's a lot of drama in these amateur events.

Golf's a hard game and you can only control so much. That's all you can focus on is full commitment to each shot and go play it wherever it ends up.

And most importantly, winning requires luck. Always has and always will

That isn’t bad luck. That is a couple of A**holes who lack the proper etiquette to be on the golf course or polite society in general.

Also I think you’re allowed to fix hallmarks on a green too right?

Do they let contestants choose the other golfers in their 4somes in these AM Tour events? IDK honestly? But even if they did let 4 friends pair up it would surprise me if everyone in the slow group was OK with deliberately messing with another competitors ball. Wouldn't they all be risking their future eligibility? Maybe one A-hole drove over it or something but it'd be hard to move your ball back 30 yards without others in that group being aware.

That isn’t bad luck. That is a couple of A**holes who lack the proper etiquette to be on the golf course or polite society in general.
Or them reacting to our OP potentially hitting them.

There's a lot of drama in these amateur events.
Drama Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Back