Both parents are from Virginia so this checks out.
You shady Spicoli.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

I had the bad break thing happening to me on Friday. Hit a marginal drive just left of the fairway and clipped a tree branch directly, resulting in being stuck behind the tree. Not that bad a drive resulted in an absolutely terrible position. Not gonna lie, I was pissed, but it's golf, it happens. Roll with it and move on. Sometimes you get the good breaks so it all balances out.

I just stopped caring and take the shots I get when I get them. I’m not a great golfer but I can birdie or eagle holes the hero shot as @PatsFan likes to call it get me into more trouble then it’s worth.

Virginia must have the most shady golfers anywhere.
Not all Virginians. Lots of out of state from PA, OH, MD, etc. Events are open to anyone registered in the tour so you get people from all over the east coast and bit west of VA.

Do they let contestants choose the other golfers in their 4somes in these AM Tour events? IDK honestly? But even if they did let 4 friends pair up it would surprise me if everyone in the slow group was OK with deliberately messing with another competitors ball. Wouldn't they all be risking their future eligibility? Maybe one A-hole drove over it or something but it'd be hard to move your ball back 30 yards without others in that group being aware.
There are some level of pairing at request. No guarantee but some are paired together a lot. Most players are chilled but the last few tournaments I’ve met some hot heads. Particularly two weeks ago where I thought there was gonna be a legit fight in my group between two dudes.

Or them reacting to our OP potentially hitting them.
I would understand if it was near them but they drove back (You can’t see anything over the hill and tree. Only to the right. I went to the right. They drove back from behind the hill and tree to where I landed. There’s actually no way I could have hit into them as if I had I would actually have hit a giant tree not them.

So did everyone else?
Many times I’ve seen only 1 person in my group hit a soft spot and plug when no one else did. If you are the only one to hit the fairway and plug that is bad luck.

So in general I’ve been doing really well in my am tour events. Top finishes pretty much every event but one major win this year. This last month really feels like there should have been atleast 1 win but I would say 2. Unfortunately just haven’t gotten any good bounces at sll in tournaments lately. Or just rotten luck like somehow plugging on a great drive in a fairway or a ball mark in front a 7 ft birdie putt (Putt bounced of course.). You try not to get frustrated but it definitely bugs you. You feel like you are scrambling all the time when you really shouldn’t have to and should be getting scoring opportunities. Whats weird is I played casually last week and got decent bounces. Not great but not ones that left you with some super hard shot.

Have you all gone through a streak of terrible breaks round after round? Did you do something to try to change it? Or did you just simply grind through it?
You need to lower your expectations. Your profile indicates you are a 20 handicap. I assume your Am Tour events are net. A player plays to their handicap 20-25% of the time. The other 75-80% of the time you will likely be scoring much higher than what you hope or expect.

Everyone has bad and good breaks. We all tend to remember when our ball ends up in a divot hole and forget how we thinned a 9-iron but it ended up tight. When you catch a bad break, get serious and salvage a good result.

Back