14.5* 3wd
19* hybrid
22* hybrid
27* hybrid or 5i - depending on layout
6-pw
50*,54*,58*

Always tinkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, though some clubs are still sorting themselves out, the setup/layout of the 2019 bag is pretty well set.

Driver - 10.5-12.0 based on the setup I end up gaming.

FW - Move fully to a single FW this year. 15.0 potentially turned to 16.0.

HY - Move also to one hybo this year. 19.0 and will stay that loft to fill the gap I need there as a tee and long deck club.

UT - 4i/23.0-23.5 range club, battling between a GI iron or a straight up UT, both/either shafted with graphite.

IR - 5-PW is the name of the game. Comfy hitting 5i again, always cap my set at PW.

W - 48/56/60 will be the setup giving me a little more versatility/range on my GW loft and keeping the versatility I demand in the LW.

I'm going to need some sim time to try and figure out distances and which clubs gap best, but as of now the front runner heading into 2019 would be this set up:

Driver
3 wood
2 hybrid (cut to 3 hybrid length)
3 hybrid (cut down to 4i length)
5-PW
48/54/58

It's a set up that would work wonders, with the only spots up in the air being 2 hybrid (potentially a 5w) and the 3 hybrid (potentially a UT or 4i). Will be interesting to see if I can get on a sim which would win out. I'm comfortable playing any of them though, just need gaps worked out.

Well, though some clubs are still sorting themselves out, the setup/layout of the 2019 bag is pretty well set.

Driver - 10.5-12.0 based on the setup I end up gaming.

FW - Move fully to a single FW this year. 15.0 potentially turned to 16.0.

HY - Move also to one hybo this year. 19.0 and will stay that loft to fill the gap I need there as a tee and long deck club.

UT - 4i/23.0-23.5 range club, battling between a GI iron or a straight up UT, both/either shafted with graphite.

IR - 5-PW is the name of the game. Comfy hitting 5i again, always cap my set at PW.

W - 48/56/60 will be the setup giving me a little more versatility/range on my GW loft and keeping the versatility I demand in the LW.

I dig this setup and the thought process behind it

I think I am pretty set for the 2019 season. No real overlaps and gaping seems good.
Driver= 10.5 set to 11.1*
Fariways= 3W @ 15*, 5W @ 18* and 7W @ 21*
Irons= 5-PW
Wedges= 50,54 and 58
Putter= Scotty

Going to try going single FW this year and add the 3H. Just love the Rogue 4H so much I have to give it a shot. Right now the FW is my F7 5W turned down to 17˚, but may go with a 3W if I can ever learn to hit one... Only other composition change is moving back to 58˚*in the LW spot. More of a whim (read very little thought) than anything as I never full swing LW.

Heading into 2019, here is what's happening behind the headcovers:

Driver - I have to sort out preference for original EPIC vs. EPIC SZ heads, both basically new to me. Have a few shafts to mix between them, and probably playing either at 10 degrees loft. Emphasis will be on FIR% vs. raw distance potential. I've got two rounds on course withe the EPIC and loved the amount of fairways hit, but will tinker with the SZ because why not. I don't pull driver much, usually only 3-4 times a round.

3/4 Wood - A key tee club for me used several times a round, I need a three wood with good control that rips. EPIC SZ @ 16 degrees gives me a good compromise of length off the tee, gapping, and playability from the fairway, and I like the look and feel.

3 & 4 Irons - VERY key tee clubs. I use a driving irons several times a round, equal opportunity with 3-wood and Driver. I'll use either Srixon U65 3i or 4i depending on distance needed. Since I use these clubs so much off the tee and more rarely from the fairway, I go with a utility iron instead of hybrid in this spot. I get better dispersion and FIR% with an iron from the tee, and the U65's are lasers for me. I might do better with a 3 or 4 hybrid on an approach shot in theory, but the U65 give me plenty of elevation and stopping power for most situations without too much trade-off on those rare, low-percentage shots.

Irons - I'm playing blades this year because I've always wanted to. Handicap and haters be damned. I'm playing decent golf and I'm not getting any younger, so I'm gonna use what I've got before I lose it. Apex MB and Srixon Z-Forged will be trading chrome.

Wedges - 50, 54, 58 tends to suit my gaps. I like medium bounces with some trailing edge relief for opening the face and playability. I feel like I don't really get much more out of a 60(+) degree wedge than a 58 which is more all around useful for me and can still be opened up. I like 54 (over 56, which I played forever..) for medium range sand and fairway work, and the 50 just blends nice into my set PW. Currently Mack Daddy 3 50S and 54 & 58 MD2 Tour forged. This set will be updated, and I'm pretty sure I know where that train is headed...

Putter - Lots of fun going on here. I tend to like blades over mallets and wanted to have a few choices of profile on hand. I'm making a year long experiment to learn further what sort of flow and visuals really work best for me. I've never really been into putters seriously until recently and there is so much to be done here:
Toulon Long Island - I love the flowneck and almost nostalgic profile, and am really hoping it drains putts as good as it looks. Lots of toe hang and I'm a feel kinda guy, or so I tell myself haha​

Toulon Garage San Diego (H5, Rose Gold) - Love the slantneck, and I think in general I prefer the Two shape over the one shape... this thing is a honey, and medium toe flow is probably best for me. I also wanted a One in the mix so...​

Bettinardi BB1 Tiki - A great example of a One profile in carbon steel and face milling. Killer Turtle Totems. Again, hoping it drains putts as good as it looks. Finally,​

Bettinardi Studio Stock 9 - a face balanced mid-blade (mid-mallet, whatever) with high toe. I love the high-toe and low heel profile, as well as deep flange. As close to a mallet as I can stomach as a blade guy. I think my stroke and position favors a bit more toe flow, but that is the point of this experiment. Sexy as hell.​

Last edited:
Likely only one spot may change in my setup with a battle between the Rogue Heavenwood, Epic Flash 5W, and the Big Bertha 3H.

I am still tinkering with the top of my bag. No change to irons or putter, but I may be replacing my A wedge and sand wedge.

At the top I have driver, 3w, 7w, 3 iron-wood At 20* and 4 hybrid. Today I decided to go with a 2 iron-wood at 18*, if I can hit it. And it will replace the 7w which I am struggling with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My bag set-up approach is simple. I only bag a club once I have gained confidence in it.

The reason Sergio Garcia didn't make my list is because of this gesture on his part in Aug 2014 . . .

Diamond in the rough! Golfer Sergio Garcia knocks the rock out of woman's engagement ring with a wild drive
Sergio Garcia accidentally broke a spectator's ring at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on Sunday
Garcia gave the woman an autographed ball and was prepared to replace the diamond if it wasn't found
Another fan discovered the gem in the grass a short time later - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-wild-drive-WGC-Bridgestone-Invitational.html

I think my 2019 bag is setup for the most part until I get some range time and distances settled out. I have recently picked up a used 5-wood and I’ve got a couple spare hybrids and wedges to seap in if a club or teo go south on me. Mainly my two goals are to even out the gaps and find clubs that work for me. I’m still mentally adjusting to the cranked lofts on my irons and am tending to ignore the club numbers and just refer to the degrees of loft instead (a 5-iron isn’t always a 5-iron, might play like a 3 or 4 instead {grrr}).

Little tinker today, going to give it a run this week to try and make the bottom of my bag flow a little easier for what I want out of my GW and SW.

48 to 46.5

54 to 53

60 stays 60

Love my current set up, think the biggest thing change was my fitter adjusting lofts throughout the set has given me solid gapping throughout

5I - 25
6I - 28
7I - 32
8I - 36
9I - 40
PW - 44
GW - 48

Then I swapped out my 54* wedge for a 52* and overall I am seeing much more confidence in my yardages with each club.

Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

I'm going to need some sim time to try and figure out distances and which clubs gap best, but as of now the front runner heading into 2019 would be this set up:

Driver
3 wood
2 hybrid (cut to 3 hybrid length)
3 hybrid (cut down to 4i length)
5-PW
48/54/58

It's a set up that would work wonders, with the only spots up in the air being 2 hybrid (potentially a 5w) and the 3 hybrid (potentially a UT or 4i). Will be interesting to see if I can get on a sim which would win out. I'm comfortable playing any of them though, just need gaps worked out.

Well those hybrid spots as I imagined have been revolving doors between a few of my other clubs for set up purposes. But I think I’m settling for now on the 2 hybrid playing at 3 hybrid length, and playing a UT in that next spot down. Have a Callaway X forged UT in 21* that I will play around 4 iron length that should play well there. I actually hit a 4 iron pretty well, but the UT helps get a little bit more distance for me with the lower loft and a bit lower spin than my 4i.

From my original setup at #TheGrandaddy I added the 5i and a 4h and dropped the 5h and 3w. I wasn’t hitting the Apex 5h all that well with its neutral bias and I hit these irons so well that swapping the 5h for a 5i was a no brainer.

That left a significant gap between the 5i and 5w so the addition of a 4h made sense but I had to drop something to accommodate it. That came down to the 3w or one of my wedges. I rarely need 3w distance where I play and my contact with it is more inconsistent than any other club in the bag so I pulled it.

That leaves me with what is in my signature.

My current thinking is as follows:

Driver and Mini Driver for tee shots, driver fades, mini driver draws, plus I have a lot of ditches running across the middle of holes at my course so it’s good to have another option.

5W or 19* degree hybrid for when the ground is soft as a 220-240y club off the fairway.

23* hybrid used all year round off the fairway and off the 18th tee on one of my courses when I have to get it over 3 large trees about 60y away onto a hidden fairway. This club goes over the trees and stops about 30y from a ditch and about 120y from the pin, leaving me a full PW in. Standard second shot club on par 5s that I can’t reach too (along with 5 iron or 6 iron).

4I is an alternative off the tee for short, tight par 4s, power spec loft 19* gives it 20 yards more than my 6I.

5I-UW for full shots between 100 and 180y, 5I often left out of the bag, depends on time of year. 8I, 9I, PW and UW are typically my greenside chip clubs on decent lies. UW is also my 80-100y club on a 3/4 - 7/8 basis.

SW is my pitching club, not used for full shots, but used from 30-75y for almost all pitches unless really short-sided/obstacle/lie issues.

58* is used when SW isn’t lofted enough.

64* carried in summer and used when all else fails. Magic club but only needed really when the ground is hard.

Putters - unsure what to do with these as mostly I chip in from inside 75 yards.

*Need to stop buying clubs, I have more than enough.

Since I started playing again after a 7 year layoff I’ve bought lots of new clubs to figure out what I like/works for me. What I’m currently using in my breaking 90 bag is:

F-Max / M2 D driver 10.5 ( alternating as to which I prefer )
Cobra bio-cell 5-7 wood
Launcher H3
cobra bio-cell 4-5 hybrid
F-Max 6i - pw
50 CBX
54 CBX
58 dedicated SS3 sand
60 CBX
VFang

Playing my best now at ave 88/9 last four rounds by being gentle off T and conservative through to green. CBX wedges giving me lots of confidence and looking to replace the irons with CBX also. VFang working better for me on green than my old Newport2.

As I continue working on my swing, all I’m looking for is consistent gapping for my set. I think I’m pretty close:

F9 Driver: set at 11.5*
F9 3W: set at 15.5*
Rogue 3h: 18*
Rogue 4h: 20.5*
Rogue 5i - AW: 23*, 26*, 30*, 34.5*, 39*, 44*, 49*
CBX SW & LW: 54*, 58*

I swapped out my 816 H2 hybrid for a TS2 18* this week. The hybrid just turned into a hook machine & I couldn’t flight it like I wanted. It got to the point that I played away from that yardage so it had to go.

Current setup:

Driver 11.5
5 wood
4H, 5H, 6H
6-9I
PW
50, 56, 60
Putter

The 5H almost never gets used. Might pull it and put 3h or 3W back into rotation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just waiting on my irons being delivered, but the new setup will be

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 9* with Project X Evenflow Green 6.0 shaft
3W - Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 15* with Project X Evenflow Green 6.0 shaft

Srixon ZU85 18* with UST Recoil 95 F4

Srixon Z785 4i-6i with Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X-flex
Srixon Z-Forged 7i-PW with Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X-flex

Wedges - Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 DG S400 Tour Issue

With how much my swing has changed, the old clubs were just launching too high and spinning too much, so I went through a fitting to figure out the best setup to make the most of the changes and this is how it worked out

Once I get the rest of the clubs, my WITB thread will have to be resurrected and new pictures added

I mainly set my bag up to have options off the tee as I'm fairly confident hitting everything but driver from the fairway.

Driver - X2 Hot 9* Grafalloy Bi-matrix X flex
3 wood - XR16 standard 3 wood loft with the stock stiff speeder shaft (I like it to go a bit higher)
19* hybrid - Cobra FlyZ+ Aldilla NV Proto (byyou) X flex hybrid shaft (can do a lot with this club)
3 iron - MP 4 Project X 6.0
5-PW - MP 4 Project X 6.0
52 & 56 * wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 standard wedge shaft, 2 dot bounce.

The 3 iron is only for when I NEED to hit the fairway at around 220 - 250 depending on conditions. I will use it to roll it up to linksy greens but not much else I really don't feel comfortable hitting mega low shots with my hybrid so thats the main reason the 3 is there.

PM 58 is out for my MD4 60X from the Grandaddy. Just a confidence thing at this point.

Back