Ball Position - How I explain proper ball position - by Patrick Nuber, GolfTEC Golden

GolfTEC

Official Improvement Center of THP
Reaction score
The goal of a proper ball position is to help the golfer strike the ball in a manner that optimizes the flight of the ball and encourage the proper angle of attack based on how the club is designed to strike the ball. Irons are desigend to strike a ball differently then a driver...

Over the years and the 900+ people I have worked with I have heard so many different thoughts, explanations, previously taught ideas, etc....about where the ball is to be played in the stance. Thoughts that the ball should be played more back in the stance for higher lofted clubs to the ball progressively moving up for longer clubs to playing the ball in the same position for every club. While some of them do make some sense initially, please read through how I explain it and see if this helps any of you out there curious as to where you should play your ball with your irons. I will add more for the hybrids and other woods but its 10:20pm and I was outside teaching from 8am - 7:30pm today with the temperatures in the high 90's and baked right now.

Irons
I teach ONE ball position for every iron for a normal stock shot. I do not teach a varying ball position for longer or shorter irons. Why??? The main goal I hear day in and day out is to be more consistent and to me having a ball position that varies for the irons you play leads to possibly 2, 3, or possibly 8 different ball positions. If you want to be consistent then start with playing the ball in the same spot relative to your left heel. Work on being consistent with one position vs. eight! I like the ball either one clubhead or two golf balls width inside of the left heel (for a right handed player) FOR EVERY IRON. For you leftys it would be the same distance inside of the right heel. If a player desires to flight the ball lower then he/ she can move it back one balls width. For a higher flight play the ball one balls width forward.

Here's where it should start to click if you are doing this at home or work! You don't need a club to do this either...

Instead of varying your ball position, the variable that I teach is the RIGHT FOOT. By narrowing or widening my right foot at setup with the correct ball position relative to the left foot the ball will look more forward or more back in the stance, but the ball position and the left foot are constant/ consistent.
Example#1 - If I were playing a 5 iron vs. a Pitching Wedge I would have wider stance and the ball would appear more forward in my stance vs. with a narrower stance for my Pitching Wedge.
Example #2 - For my chips, I have students narrow their stance so much that the ball appears more back in the stance but relative to my left foot it has not moved from where I play my 5 iron or any other iron shot.

I will work on getting some photos up to show this but not sure when I will be able to do this. Looking forward to hearing what all of you think about that concept!

That is an interesting read. I always moved the ball as I went lower in the irons. but i like your approach. Same ball position, just move your "back" foot when you hit a higher lofted iron. That is remarkably easier than moving the ball.

I certainly cannot wait to try it, as I am known to tinker.

Excellent technique, golftec.

definately should help lots of amateur internet golfers.

This is what I do and it works great for me. Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully everyone will read this and give it a try. I strongly believe it will help your game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting read, thank you. I like the way you explained it and it makes a lot of sense.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the hybrid, fairway and driver.

I like this idea a lot. I would narrow my stance but I would also move the ball back. It will be interesting trying this.

I just tried a bunch of different setups for various irons after I read this and I completely agree with the concept. It is actually what I do all the time, but I never thought of it this way. Only thing I have to make sure is whether it is two balls or 3 balls from my left heel for me. Great post!

Awesome idea, I will keep these tips in mind during practice tomorrow and see if it pays off.

Totally agree with you. Good post!

That is a great post.

This is a great idea. I've never thought of ball position being constant and moving my "back" foot. I will try this next time I'm at the range (tomorrow night)

Great read. I'm going to try this today.

So if you are hitting behind the ball, moving it further back is not the fix? I recently moved the ball back almost to the inside of my right foot (experimenting) and began to catch the ball first and then the ground. It must be another mechanical flaw causing one to hit the ground behind the ball other than ball position? Spine angle, dipping, etc. as it probaly is a hodge podge of flaws causing one to hit behind the ball other than ball position. I suppose you could answer this question in post if you like?

It must be another mechanical flaw causing one to hit the ground behind the ball other than ball position?

Gaahh!! That's what I started doing out of nowhere! I went from some pretty dang decent ballstriking to garbage in the span of a week off....it's killing me.

I really like the way you explained this concept. I will give it a try and I do believe it will provide more consistency when you get used to it.

So if you are hitting behind the ball, moving it further back is not the fix? I recently moved the ball back almost to the inside of my right foot (experimenting) and began to catch the ball first and then the ground. It must be another mechanical flaw causing one to hit the ground behind the ball other than ball position? Spine angle, dipping, etc. as it probaly is a hodge podge of flaws causing one to hit behind the ball other than ball position. I suppose you could answer this question in post if you like?

Great question OG as I am doing the same thing. I tried to play all shots off the same position starting about a month ago as Patrick stated above and I was hitting quite a few fat shots especially with the higher lofted irons. Since moving it back a tad I have started to catch the ball much better before making contact with the ground. As you said - probably some greater swing flaws that need to be addressed...

excellent post!!! These are thing si love reading about, its something I know I personally struggle with sometimes

I've been doing this for a while now and it has dramatically improved my pitching/chipping

Example #2 - For my chips, I have students narrow their stance so much that the ball appears more back in the stance but relative to my left foot it has not moved from where I play my 5 iron or any other iron shot.

Great post and I look forward to reading the subsequent tips later. Ball position with my irons is something I am not as consistent with as I should be, so I'll give this tip a try.

Great post. Really like this idea as you position it perfectly when you mention consistency with shots.

I'm going to love having these random tips and can't wait to give this a try, but the addition or pictures and possibly a video will help drive this concept home. Thanks Patrick and GolfTec

Great and timely post for me as I have been tinkering with ball position but no real logic behind it. I have a feeling this tip will be very helpful.

Really great post. Thank you so much. This is a struggle of mine.

Thanks for the read! I'm definitely in need of some consistency and this approach makes total sense. I will give it a ride!

This is a great read. I think using this advice will help with consistancy in my iron game. I usually just center the ball in my stance with iron shots but it doesn't always work so good. i hit balls fat someTimes and hardly never hit them thin

great tips, anything to simply things sound perfect to me!

Back