Ball Position - How I explain proper ball position - by Patrick Nuber, GolfTEC Golden

Thanks a lot for this post! I have been struggling with my irons lately (mostly thin shots with the occasional fat ones mixed in). I will try this out on the range today.

This is one thing that really helped me with iron consistency this year. I stopped moving the ball and my game got a little better. This is a great post for those that do too much with their positioning.

This has helped me tremendously with my iron play in the last couple weeks since i have been practicing it and using it on the course. I am still struggling with my 4I & 5I, but I'm working on those two clubs. I think those two are more mental than anything.

I am hitting my 6I-AW much better with a increase in distance being seen through out. My distance gain has been at least a club if not more like a club an a half. this has been both great and bad as I have over shot several greens because of the new distance I am seeing.

Thanks so much for this tip!!!

This is something that I have been working on doing. My tip would be to put some tape on some alignment sticks that are a ball width apart. Then you can place a second one perpendicular to the first to indicate your heel line. This will allow you to always get the ball in the right spot which will train your eye on how it is supposed to look. Instead of using the alignment sticks sold in golf stores, I use the driveway markers you can get in your local home improvement stores.

This is something that I have been working on doing. My tip would be to put some tape on some alignment sticks that are a ball width apart. Then you can place a second one perpendicular to the first to indicate your heel line. This will allow you to always get the ball in the right spot which will train your eye on how it is supposed to look. Instead of using the alignment sticks sold in golf stores, I use the driveway markers you can get in your local home improvement stores.

This is good I dont know how i missed this thread but im going to try. I already go to GolfTec In Lutz

Great thought by GolfTec.

I'm one of those players that was taught 8 different ball positions and from experience I struggled when I got to the course. Trying to remember where the ball should be when you are hitting a stock 7 Iron detracts from thinking about how I want to hit the ball,etc. I have been recently experimenting with ball position and I, like Patrick, found that stance should determine where the ball is. Def. will get to work on this idea and make sure I have this 1 club length from the left heel idea down and made apart of my game.

I do have one question thought Patrick.

Does this ball position with the heel technique also work with a driver and woods? I've heard tons of things about how Drivers and woods should be played in the middle of the left foot, but I hate that I can never get a true, consistent strike with both the driver and woods. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Great article.I have trouble with the proper position for each club sometimes and I tried this at the range today and it definitely helped me.If I can just remember and do this on the course!

I supose the next question would be where do you put the back foot for each club? I was taught to have the ball centered for the7-8-9-PW. That would mean my right heal would be one club length behind the ball. Is this correct? How about 4-5-6? Would that be three balls back?

I like that tip (the tape). I'll take that one to the range with me.

I tried to put this into practice yesterday on the course after a 20 minute range session and must say that I was feeling much better with my ball stricking with my irons, especially my short irons. I have a tendency to get the ball too far back in my stance - especially the shorter the club gets - and then get steep on the downswing and dig into the turf. I have always had trouble hitting fat so the natural tendency was to move the ball back closer to where you strike the ground, but that is actually one of those counter-intuitive things in golf - moving it back just makes it worse. So by keeping the ball in the behind left heel position yesterday I had fewer fat or steep shots, though I did hit a couple thin. I'll have to work on it, but I like how it felt. Got to get used to seeing the ball so far forward and hold my release to avoid flipping it left, but so far so good. Thanks for the great explination.

Awesome thread. Had a range session today and used this method and once I got settled u was hitting the ball really nicely with 5 & 7 irons and my wedges.

I put my alignment sticks down as well as two balls from my bag to make sure I had it all correct.

Will be doing his every range session from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome little read. Thanks a lot! I'll be using this method from now on!

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I've been trying this myself, and I do believe it is helping. I used to have the ball at mid-stance, but I never felt very comfortable at address. I also used to move the ball back a bit for shorter irons & wedges, and a bit forward for longer irons. But I was not keeping the ball a consistent distance off my right heel.
Now, with Patrick's approach, I do feel more comfortable at address - it seems that I don't have to keep my back quite as upright, and it just looks better as I'm viewing the club head and ball. I'll have to find out if this works in the long run - but so far, so good.

Back