Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

Every store I went to today, they all said they won't have Big Bertha or Big Bertha Alpha in the fitting carts till Feb 13, 2 days prior to the release. Not sure why we're not seeing them but others are reporting hitting them.

Bertha releases on the 14th Kevin.

Also, I believe those talking about hitting it had reps that had access to the clubs

Ours is still in the back, meaning not available for the public yet. No one working in the shop knew the date for bringing it out - I'd be surprised if it still weeks away although we often receive Callaway stuff early.

Every store I went to today, they all said they won't have Big Bertha or Big Bertha Alpha in the fitting carts till Feb 13, 2 days prior to the release. Not sure why we're not seeing them but others are reporting hitting them.

I had a dream about this driver last night. Can't get into my bag soon enough

It's funny, my assistant manager and I were hitting mine on our Foresight and he had very little change in spin between the two positions, I saw a four hundred rpm difference between the high and low positions. I think as a swing gets a bit steeper, the change is more dramatic, he has an upward angle of attack with the driver and is a low spin guy to begin with, I am more level and tend to have a little higher spin rate to start with than he does.

I had a dream about this driver last night. Can't get into my bag soon enough
I love watching the PGA tournaments and seeing these in the hands of the pros! Great air time this last weekend.

Callaway did a great job putting these drivers in the hands of already long hitters , pat perez hit that alpha incredibly well...

We now have both in the shop with the full demo cart outfit. I tested both the BB and BBA on Trackman. Quick observations - the Gravity Core does change spin but not in a predictable way. We had two people with SS at 100 for the driver and one (me) had almost no spin difference while the other person saw 200-300 rpm differences. Playing with all the adjustable features can really change numbers but I'm not sure whether this is physics or a change in feel causing a small swing change (maybe both?). The BB is a few notches more forgiving laterally than the BBA, maybe in part because the BBA is lower spin. Also the BBA shaft is tighter, which also may affect the spin somewhat. It will be very important to be fit for these drivers.

I really like the BB but have a hard time seeing us sell many with a crop of very good discontinued drivers at or less than $150 on the floor.

I was really wondering this as well. The shop in my area had a 2013 xhot with a black tie 8m3 shaft in it last year, and i can't imagine hitting anything better than that... Although there is only one way to be sure! Half of the battle for these OEMs is just generating enough exciting to get schmo's like me to the shop to hit some clubs

That's the first time I've ever heard Crossfield openly praise a specific innovation. And rightfully so

That's the first time I've ever heard Crossfield openly praise a specific innovation. And rightfully so

I know! Usually he will bash a product if it isn't a mizuno, titleist, or nike. Heck, I don't think he has stopped complaining about the marketing on the rocketbladez irons from a few years ago... only to brand it best GI iron set in a later youtube post.

This time he is on board with the product AND the marketing (even though it isn't mizuno!) Perhaps Callaway really has something special with the alpha!

I got a message today that the BBA was in at Dick's. I went to hit it. Felt and sounded amazing. AMAZING. Stock Fubuki felt a touch noodlely. But that could be fixed. The gravity port still had me confused in how it actually works. In person, it bottles my mind.

I got a message today that the BBA was in at Dick's. I went to hit it. Felt and sounded amazing. AMAZING. Stock Fubuki felt a touch noodlely. But that could be fixed. The gravity port still had me confused in how it actually works. In person, it bottles my mind.

Nice! Just ordered the BBA with the X flex stock shaft. Hope that addresses any noodlelyness when it gets here. I cannot wait to hit this. I'd probably drive a couple hours to take a swing.

Nice! Just ordered the BBA with the X flex stock shaft. Hope that addresses any noodlelyness when it gets here. I cannot wait to hit this. I'd probably drive a couple hours to take a swing.

That is probably what would fit me to. Doesn't mean the stock stiff does put a good whooping on the ball. But I was seeing rights and very few lefts. Which for me, in January, means come July I will be reevaluating shafts.

That is probably what would fit me to. Doesn't mean the stock stiff does put a good whooping on the ball. But I was seeing rights and very few lefts. Which for me, in January, means come July I will be reevaluating shafts.

let's not kid ourselves, you will be doing that anyway:alien:

Such a great review on what appears to be a customized driver to fit any players abilities, I just can't keep jumping from new driver each year, gotta stop somewhere.

Such a great review on what appears to be a customized driver to fit any players abilities, I just can't keep jumping from new driver each year, gotta stop somewhere.
I'm with you! I really hope the Alpha is the Omega for me :alien2:

The countdown is on. This thread will be jumping by mid week.

Ok, the Big Bertha Alpha has arrived here. From the fitting at ECPC. I was fit for the Alpha, core down, -1 on the hosel. With the Fubuki K60 X. There were some issues with filling this order so I opted to go with the Alpha version of the Fubuki, which is 1g lighter, and offer .1 less torque than the K. So for all intensive purposes it's pretty much the same shaft. I have set this driver up identical to the fitting, and have laced the 7g weight on the heel, and placed the 3G weight on the toe. From Callaway they provided two additional weights of 3G and 5g for adjustability. From Callaway it comes with a 1g in the toe.

I will be taking this to the range tomorrow night regardless of weather.

Such good news to hear. They are landing!

I hit this club again today and had insanely low spin and a beautiful baby draw to boot. With the weight up I was around 2500. Weight down was 1750. I made a deal with the manager at GG. He gets my Tour Preferred MCs and I get an Alpha with the Oban Kiyoshi Purple. I'm happy with that.

This is truly a game changing club for me. I lived the RFE, and was into the SLDR for a minute or two. But this club has got me just as excited as the Apex irons did.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Still waiting for these to show up at local stores to demo them!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Still waiting for these to show up at local stores to demo them!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

My Golfsmith has them now. Hit one today.

Really? It felt pretty stable for me. I am trying to lay off X flex unless its necessary and my driver SS is down to 102-105 so I'm going to try the stiff stock shaft. Although my transition isn't as violent as your either...

Back