Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

I find myself so torn on what to do. Almost everyone I see get fit for this driver and even the BB seems to end up with a different shaft than what is offered as a stock option. So I guess I am asking if you guys can advise me on the best course of action. I am for sure set on either BB or BBA. Here is the kicker though, I have no means of being fit the way you guys have been. I completely understand that a fitting is the best way to go but without being able to be fit can any of you guys give me an educated guess on the best course of action to take when selecting a set-up as far as head and shaft combo goes?
If you have access to a launch monitor, and can obtain some the basic numbers from you swing. I'm sure if you were to reach out to Callaway, they would be happy to help you get the combination that best suits your particular swing characteristics. Hop on twitter and reach out to them. I think you'd be surprised at what they can help you out with.

Awesome numbers kevin! Congrats. What a beautiful weapon you have in the bag now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you have access to a launch monitor, and can obtain some the basic numbers from you swing. I'm sure if you were to reach out to Callaway, they would be happy to help you get the combination that best suits your particular swing characteristics. Hop on twitter and reach out to them. I think you'd be surprised at what they can help you out with.

Thanks buddy, I'll see what I can find out from them.

Thanks buddy, I'll see what I can find out from them.
Here is their customer service number if you'd like to actually talk to someone.
tel:1-800-588-9836

Jeebus Kevin. That's like 290 yards carry you know. What a great setup for you dude.

Wow Kevin those are sweet numbers. Sounds like that club was made for you.

Jeebus Kevin. That's like 290 yards carry you know. What a great setup for you dude.
i just want straight and short grass when it's all said and done... When I hit this next to the XhotPro....the carry of the Alpha was as long as the total for the Xhot. Just crazy....

Here is their customer service number if you'd like to actually talk to someone.
tel:1-800-588-9836

Appreciate the info.

So the demo was in and I tooks some swings with stock fubuki zeta and my red tie shaft. Let me tell you, this thing is LOW SPIN! I was hitting it at +2 (11°) neutral and my averahe spin rate was under 1200. Even with the red tie. The gravity core was down (toward the sole plate, idk if thats up or down lol) and I would think that would promote higher spin? I did not mess with the core with that thought and that may have been a mistake.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I like the Arc Reactor on the headcover

For all my Jersey THPers....anyone know where they have the demos? I'm hoping that they have some when I go to Club Champion on Friday.

Sorry if this was missed buddy. PGA SS is Paramus has it and the Big Bertha for demo. Not sure about the rest of the stores.

I find myself so torn on what to do. Almost everyone I see get fit for this driver and even the BB seems to end up with a different shaft than what is offered as a stock option. So I guess I am asking if you guys can advise me on the best course of action. I am for sure set on either BB or BBA. Here is the kicker though, I have no means of being fit the way you guys have been. I completely understand that a fitting is the best way to go but without being able to be fit can any of you guys give me an educated guess on the best course of action to take when selecting a set-up as far as head and shaft combo goes?

Is your miss vertical or horizontal on face? The BB is a bit wider and is alot more forgiving on side to side misses on the face. The Alpha is deeper and is more forgiving on vertical misses. Once you know that fact, along with all the adjustment options they both offer, you should be able to make a relatively informed decision. The shaft can always be changed out.

So the demo was in and I tooks some swings with stock fubuki zeta and my red tie shaft. Let me tell you, this thing is LOW SPIN! I was hitting it at +2 (11°) neutral and my averahe spin rate was under 1200. Even with the red tie. The gravity core was down (toward the sole plate, idk if thats up or down lol) and I would think that would promote higher spin? I did not mess with the core with that thought and that may have been a mistake.

Gravity core down promotes LOWER spin.

1200 is pretty darn low, though.

Callaway is putting up pics of the U-Design BB and Alpha. They look pretty amazing!

Callaway is putting up pics of the U-Design BB and Alpha. They look pretty amazing!

Yeah the white head with Pink gravity core is just stunning.

Gravity core down promotes LOWER spin.

1200 is pretty darn low, though.

What is "down?" I see down ad down toward sole when you put the club down. Or is that up toward sole when putting it in? Lol either way I need more spin whith that head

Down is down towards the sole. For most, that will lower spin.

For me, I got lower spin by moving it up because my miss was high on the face and the gravity core up moved the sweet spot closer to my miss. That is why fitting is so important.

There is a heavy part to the gravity core -- it's the larger end. When you put the gravity core in so that the heavy part points down to the ground at address, that lowers spin. When the heavy part of the gravity core points up at address, it increases spin.

I'd be interested to see what the spin numbers would look like for you with the gravity core up.

Down is down towards the sole. For most, that will lower spin.

For me, I got lower spin by moving it up because my miss was high on the face and the gravity core up moved the sweet spot closer to my miss. That is why fitting is so important.

There is a heavy part to the gravity core -- it's the larger end. When you put the gravity core in so that the heavy part points down to the ground at address, that lowers spin. When the heavy part of the gravity core points up at address, it increases spin.

I'd be interested to see what the spin numbers would look like for you with the gravity core up.

Looks like I need to hit this with the core up!

Mine arrived today! I have the Diamana S+ 62X in it. Gravity Core high/Up, neutral setting, +1 on the loft, 7g in the toe. That's what was given to me as my settings during the Grandaddy fitting, so I've already made the adjustments. Now, just waiting for warmth so I can hit it!!!

I'm heading to Dicks to get a wedge bent and I'm hoping they will have this baby in stock to demo. Fingers crossed.

I saw Kevin at the Dorsey Rd golf center.. We talked about the Alpha and his results. He still had this far off look of disbelief when he told me about the numbers and how it felt! He even invited me to hit his - I declined as I wouldn't want to jinx his stick! ( the fact that it had an X flex and much lower loft then I am forced to play at this time MAY have factored into that decision! ) I wanted to demo the regular BB, but they didn't have demo models there at that time. :crying:

Back