This more of bird listening, but I just love the loud and loony bird calls on golf broadcasts from other continents.

I've learned to recognize the intense noise a pileated woodpecker makes when it hammers away at a tree.
It is likely that there is a breeding pair somewhere near my yard. I find a lot of bird nests in my yard.

Last edited:
My Mississippi Kite family has migrated back to the area. Confirmed siting today.

AE4931A0-398A-4709-9698-421DAE15653E.jpeg

Heard a meadowlark this morning. TIme to fill the bird feeders!

During the Masters broadcast, there was a bird calling almost non-stop in a two-note call, the first note higher-pitched than the second. Does anybody know what kind of bird that was? After a while it got to be way too funny--the Masters, which is almost a religious ceremony, and supposed to be very quiet, with this loud bird just going on and on and on.

That time of year again. This time bluebirds. Last year was chickadees

Screenshot_20230425_091306_Gallery.jpg

I got nests up robins, mockingbirds, and mourning doves. Bonus is 3 rabbits chasing each other around here too.

I saw this Crow and Mississippi Kite joining forces to run off a Red Tail.
IMG_4031.png

Got this picture of a tree swallow on a walk this morning. Beautiful sunrise.

20230516_070428.jpg

We are getting a close look at birds nests this year with two different nests on wreaths on or near the doors to our house. The first pic was taken yesterday from inside our house through the door glass.

A28D1E0D-53F0-4F83-83BC-830D322D071F.jpeg4741B9DB-E70C-4A87-BD33-EF6D6FCBA53D.jpeg

Just saw a pair of Orioles earlier this afternoon! Only the 2nd time I've seen them since we moved here 10 years ago.

Have a pair of eastern bluebirds nesting in our box in our backyard. Three juveniles just about ready to fledge. Papa is waiting intently...
20230528_083534.jpg

Have a pair of eastern bluebirds nesting in our box in our backyard. Three juveniles just about ready to fledge. Papa is waiting intently...
View attachment 9182545
I’m seeing a lot of fledglings around my area. Pretty cool to see them grow.

I’m seeing a lot of fledglings around my area. Pretty cool to see them grow.
Caught the last of the three seconds before fledging. Only the second time I have witnessed the act of actually leaving the box. It's sibling left about 20 min prior. Bitter sweet. Hope they stay close by. 20230528_140851.jpg

Caught the last of the three seconds before fledging. Only the second time I have witnessed the act of actually leaving the box. It's sibling left about 20 min prior. Bitter sweet. Hope they stay close by. View attachment 9182985
One of my favorite birds. I've had them nest in our yard off and on since I put a box out. I saw them this year, but a tree swallow beat them to the nest box. Either way, I bet you'll see the little ones around with the parents throughout the summer. It has been our experience anyway.

I saw Northern Cardinal fledglings leave the nest and make a run for the understory twenty yards away. They all left at the same time.
The nest was in a flower box under an air conditioner!

I saw this ruby throated humming bird sitting on the electrical wire. I’ve never noticed a hummingbird not flying before.

IMG_4095.jpeg

I saw this ruby throated humming bird sitting on the electrical wire. I’ve never noticed a hummingbird not flying before.

View attachment 9186778
I’ve been practicing my humming bird in flight picture taking efforts lately. It takes a lot of patience and cooperative subjects!
processed-4386.jpeg

This is a perched Mississippi Kite. These have become my favorite birds, they are everywhere in my neighborhood now and they are flying acrobats. The fledglings have joined in as well. They are here from April- October, they winter in South America.
IMG_4126.jpeg

A young Cooper’s Hawk looking around.
IMG_4194.jpeg

Saw this white Egret at a neighborhood pond.

IMG_4197.jpeg

This guy was dropping off a special delivery this morning.
IMG_4308.png

I’ve been watching this Coopers Hawk for months in this same area. Pretty sure it’s the same one, he/she is a young adult Always within this grid that I walk my dog in.
IMG_4441.jpeg

10’s of thousands of sandhill cranes have started migrating and will stop over at a nearby wildlife area. There are 7-8 thousand there now, but in a couple of weeks, there will be as many as 40 thousand. I’m looking forward to seeing them.

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpeg
    IMG_0872.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1
Back