Boccieri Secret Grips Review

Great write-up Dr. Teeth. I really like this concept especially since the user can control the weights individually.

Great review Teeth. Thanks for doing this for us.

Great review Dr. Teeth, thanks for taking the time to test these and provide a detailed review! These will be a pondering item for me, for sure.

Great Review Dr!!! Im gonna look these up and if the price is right put one on my driver and see how it goes. Once they are available that is

Great review and very interesting topic! I wonder if we could get a Secret Grips - Shotmaker showdown...

Thanks for all of the responses. I want to answer a few questions that were asked.

I definitely dont feel like I am losing the weight of the head at all. The back weighting on the Heavy Clubs is 50 grams and the Heavy Driver is only 5 grams heavier than the average driver and the irons are 8 grams heavier. These grips are about 20-25 grams heavier than standard grips so for me they don't make me feel like the club head is substantially lighter. That being said they definitely drop the swingweight. My clubs went from a D2 to a C8.

Thank you for the reply. I am very interested in giving these a try.

I love the review. These have me thinking for sure.

Great review and very interesting topic! I wonder if we could get a Secret Grips - Shotmaker showdown...

The Secret Grips and Shotmaker do two very different things. I am playing a backweighted driver (essentially the Secret Grip) with the Shotmaker and I am loving it! The Secret Grips promote a fluid swing and better mechanics, while the Shotmaker help to dampen side spin. The combination of the two is fantastic. A more appropriate head to head matchup would be the Secret Grips + Shotmaker versus The Nunchuck! This is a review that keeps me up at night. It would be total awesomeness. Backweights and a shaft stabilizer versus a shaft that is super stabile and counterbalanced.:drool:

Very interesting thread. I may have to consider these.

Dr. Teeth, just wondering how its going with these (if you're still using them)? Thainer and his Heavy Wedge love along with my Heavy Hybrid experience has got me truly intrigued as these could be great for my wedges to help me learn and promote consistent tempo.

Thank you!

When I put in my order for the driver Steve brought up these grips and I mentioned following this thread so he sent some my way. I just got 6 to put onto my PING i10 irons and was able to install them intime for this weekends round...
I've only gotten to play one round with them so it's hard to give a full and accurate review but some initial thoughts...

I really like them! My iron play is usually pretty good and I felt very comfortable with the extra weight. I could feel the extra weight in the grip but I didn't feel like I lost the feel of the clubhead. Mental or not... I do feel like I swing a little smoother with the extra weight, which can't hurt. I don't remember having any big mishits during my round... and I was playing in wet/crappy conditions. But with only one round played, I don't know how much of it was the grips or my swing for the day. Overall I was striking the ball pretty well and I like the feel of the extra weight. I'd like to pick up a few more of these and try these on some of my other clubs too.

Dr. Teeth, just wondering how its going with these (if you're still using them)? Thainer and his Heavy Wedge love along with my Heavy Hybrid experience has got me truly intrigued as these could be great for my wedges to help me learn and promote consistent tempo.

Thank you!

I am still playing them and I am still liking them! For me they do exactly what you said above. The extra weight helps me keep a smooth tempo and forces me to pause at the top of my backswing (complete my backswing). Both of these things have helped me considerably!

When I put in my order for the driver Steve brought up these grips and I mentioned following this thread so he sent some my way. I just got 6 to put onto my PING i10 irons and was able to install them intime for this weekends round...
I've only gotten to play one round with them so it's hard to give a full and accurate review but some initial thoughts...

I really like them! My iron play is usually pretty good and I felt very comfortable with the extra weight. I could feel the extra weight in the grip but I didn't feel like I lost the feel of the clubhead. Mental or not... I do feel like I swing a little smoother with the extra weight, which can't hurt. I don't remember having any big mishits during my round... and I was playing in wet/crappy conditions. But with only one round played, I don't know how much of it was the grips or my swing for the day. Overall I was striking the ball pretty well and I like the feel of the extra weight. I'd like to pick up a few more of these and try these on some of my other clubs too.

Thanks for the update! Please keep the thoughts coming as you are able to get some more time with these.

I just wanted to chime in again...
I'm really liking these grips! I only have them on my irons, but I'm going to try to pick some up for my other clubs too (if I can)... I've played 3 rounds with installed on my PINGS any I cannot remember and severly fat or severly thin shots. I've had a couple of mishits that have left me 10 yards shorter than I wanted a couple of times, but most of my misses are close to pin high. I'm a pretty decent iron player, but three rounds in a row like I've had at this time of the year is excellent!

I am only 3 rounds in so I'm trying to reserve judgement, but so far so good (actually better than good).

I'm seriously interested in these.

Now that these are available I am really looking at getting these. I think Golf Digest rated them in the top 12 products at the 2012 PGA merchandise show. The website is indicating some fantastic benefits from them; Better On Plane Takeaway, Set hands more quickly, smoother transition, holds angle of retention longer, square face at impact, full extension at impact, and balanced finish. I realize that they are not selling snake oil here, and these are probably just areas that the secret grip improves. I would really appreciate it if Dr. Teeth or couldbeu would comment on these benefits. I have read through this thread and I know a couple of them have already been covered.
Thanks,
Doug

ps Great reviews!

I think I'll order a few as well. My experience with the hybrid has showed me that Boccieri really does know what he's doing. My only concern is the grips throwing off swingweight. I think I'll put them on my V2 irons and see what happens.

Thanks for the complements and I hope I can answer your questions. I don't know if I can comment on all of these factors, because I am not that self aware of my swing. I will try to touch on these claims as much as possible.

One Plane Takeaway- I definitely feel like the Secret grip aids you in keeping your swing on plane. Most amateurs have a problem with casting and coming over the top with their swing. This is not my swing fault, my biggest swing fault is that I get very flat with my backswing. I have spend a good amount of time working on this and am in a good position right now. With the added weight these grips definitely promote a slightly flatter swing, which will benefit many golfers.

Smoother Transition- This was my main reason for wanting to make the transition and I definitely feel that this is an area where the Secret Grips with help many golfers.

Square Face at Impact- I would say that right now my ball striking is better than it has ever been. Whether that is due to the Secret Grips or the practice I have been putting forward, most likely a combination of both.

Balanced Finish- I don't know that I can attribute this to the Secret Grips.

To answer Hawks question, these with undoubtedly change your swing weight. However, I am one who thinks that Swing weights are not that big of a deal as long as they are the same. But that is just me.

Overall I am still a big fan of these grips. They are super durable (mine still look new and it has been over 6 months), they feel good and they retain their grip even when wet. The only time I start to wonder about these grips is when I play multiple rounds in a day. I play X100s which weigh 130 grams you add the extra grip weight and my clubs are very heavy. Oregon Golfer can attest to my ball striking being great for our first round at Bandon Dunes, but during the second round I started to get tired, my swing became flat and I started to miss shots. This is really my only issue. Hope this helps.

Nice post, Doc T.

Thanks Dr.Teeth. That was a great help.
Never even occurred to me about tiring out for the second round as I will play a second round once a week or so when it's golf season around here. Maybe I'll just try one out in the driver for now.

Great review teeth! Can't wait to add to it very soon now that I have these on all of my clubs.

Very interesting...

I just ordered 4 secret grips to test on my driver, an iron, and my wedges. I hoping these will help my transitions, rhythm and tempo. Will report back as soon as I get them installed!

So h0ss, have you any thoughts on the grips as yet?

A little bump with the testing thread. Great info in here Dr. Teeth. It sounds like overall the swing weights may have changed, but it didn't worry you much and it didn't hinder your ability to get great results.

Another bump for those out there not sure about the Secret Grip.

Back