Breaking Down Ballyhack Hole #3

Daluteh

Touring Purple - 2024 Bag Boy Championship
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
The third at Ballyhack is our first glimpse at a possible HIO. Depending on where it's being played from we have anything from a possible 200 down to 150 yards - as we do not play the tips.

1712223414719.png

Each tee box is showing to be slightly lower than the one before it, so depending on where you tee off, you'll get a slightly different number due to elevation loss.

1712223685456.png

This landing zone is fairly massive, the goal is to just get it on the dance floor, you can miss but there are bunkers protecting the green all around, as well as what appears to be some gnarly rough.

1712223722153.png

Anywhere on the green should be just fine, even with different elevations and undulations there, don't go pin seeking unless you're a high risk high reward kind of player this early into the course.

1712223823492.png

What's your plan on this hole? How do you score?

Here is MyStrategy from ShotScope.

3w 6i

1712223925678.png1712223951791.png

I put myself at the 174 yard tee box here, just because I can't reach anything longer with any club, other than maybe a well struck driver.

Anything longer than this tee box I'm getting a big number, this one gives me a shot to at least get on the green and 2 or 3 putt for a par / bogey. Watching the flyover time and time again I will not be ashamed of something bigger than a 2 putt here, I'll also be willing to take a HIO for the glory and extreme luck.

Based on that looking like a false front and I assume we will be blue tee boxes, so I'm going full 4i unless wind is in our face and I will hit a choke down 5w to center green, take my 2 putt and get out of there.

Based on that looking like a false front and I assume we will be blue tee boxes, so I'm going full 4i unless wind is in our face and I will hit a choke down 5w to center green, take my 2 putt and get out of there.
I like that optimism.

I like that optimism.
From that distance, there is no reason to try and go pin seeking because more than likely I'm not putting it closer than minimum 20-30' at that distance. And it's only hole 3. No reason to get greedy/agressive that soon in the round.

From that distance, there is no reason to try and go pin seeking because more than likely I'm not putting it closer than minimum 20-30' at that distance. And it's only hole 3. No reason to get greedy/agressive that soon in the round.
That’s my thing. To paraphrase the competition you can’t win on hole 3, but you sure can get into DFL.

That’s my thing. To paraphrase the competition you can’t win on hole 3, but you sure can get into DFL.
It's one hole early in the round. Even if you lose that hole, it's not going to make or break your round and you still have PLENTY of time to recover.

#3 is one of my favorite par 3’s on property. Club selection is extremely important because getting it on the green doesn’t mean you have a chance at making par. Pin on the right you come up short and the ball is rolling back towards the tee box. If the pin is in the bowl on the left the right landing spot could have you staring down a HIO. However if you are way right par is most likely out of the question.

Fun hole!!!

Look at that putting surface…
IMG_2964.jpeg

This is such a fun hole. Probably one of my favorite par 3s. A left pin here can be a decent chance at an ace

#3 is one of my favorite par 3’s on property. Club selection is extremely important because getting it on the green doesn’t mean you have a chance at making par. Pin on the right you come up short and the ball is rolling back towards the tee box. If the pin is in the bowl on the left the right landing spot could have you staring down a HIO. However if you are way right par is most likely out of the question.

Fun hole!!!
You had me at hole in one sir.

You had me at hole in one sir.
We thought @JB had one as he landed at the top of the slope in the picture and we watched the ball head right for the pin.

I was worried about this one, because everything you see makes it seem long. We never played it far back though. I want to say, depending on speed and pin position, people were hitting between 7 and 9 iron. Lots of room to miss short if the pin is on the right/front half of the green. Easy chip or putt up the hill.

Par 3s really make or break my rounds. A lot of my higher scores seem to happen when I eff up the short holes.

Assuming blue tees and the distance of around 211 is correct, it's probably a 3H off the tee for me, maybe a 4H depending on elevation drop. Aim for the center of the green and get it on the dance floor.

Par 3s really make or break my rounds. A lot of my higher scores seem to happen when I eff up the short holes.

Assuming blue tees and the distance of around 211 is correct, it's probably a 3H off the tee for me, maybe a 4H depending on elevation drop. Aim for the center of the green and get it on the dance floor.
Unless there's a lot of drop I'm hoping it's not the 211. That's more than my driver distance, it is what it is, but shooting out of range is never fun.

Fun hole, except if you hook a hybrid and end up in the bowl when the pin is to the right. lol Went bogey-bogey in my rounds.

That little shelf in the back left part of the green is tough to get at.

visually from the tee this hole makes me think "draw a mid iron" but i actually think that risks introducing more trouble on a miss that's pulled left.
so depending on distance, dead over high spot of the front left trap with enough to carry; a good shot runs down left and the bailout short right looks available on the miss.

The left pin in the bowl is so much freaking fun!

One of my favorite memories was almost jarring it in a practice round with a middle pin with @Muchmore's 7-iron I believe it was.

Probably hit the best greenside bunker shot of my life on this hole. Thanks @Mmaynard11 for the pic. Flag was in same position and I got up & down from circled bunker. I hit it right to top of the crest and it just eased down to a tap in. Stephanie from Titleist thought for sure it was going in!!

Bally 3 (U & D).jpg

Probably hit the best greenside bunker shot of my life on this hole. Thanks @Mmaynard11 for the pic. Flag was in same position and I got up & down from circled bunker. I hit it right to top of the crest and it just eased down to a tap in. Stephanie from Titleist thought for sure it was going in!!

View attachment 9254128
That is definitely a clutch par from there!

Great hole. HIO depends more on the pin than the tee box. That's the funnel pin that @bigbov posted a pic of. Believe thats the pin placement that lord tox aced it on IIRC.

View attachment 9254128
Sandy!

We have a hole exactly like this except with water down the left side. From the looks of it, huge bailout on right side.....left side funnels to the hole but it's a riskier shot.

200yds to a left flag is probably very challenging. 160yds to a right flag probably very easy.

Holes that can play a lot of ways are fun

If there was ever a hole to wait until you talk to the caddy it is this hole. The pin location determines your tee shot. You can talk about hitting to the middle of the green and all that strategy talk but you need to know which part of the green to hit the middle of. If you put it on the wrong part of the green you are looking at a crooked number of putts.

Back