Bridgestone J815 Driver - THP Review

Transformers....more than meets the eye! I'm sure after a while people don't actually notice the graphics....ummm yeah ok. I don't care for the graphics....but I'm sure I'd learn to like them if I was bombing the crap out this driver.

Transformers....more than meets the eye! I'm sure after a while people don't actually notice the graphics....ummm yeah ok. I don't care for the graphics....but I'm sure I'd learn to like them if I was bombing the crap out this driver.

While it may not completely become unnoticeable, the forgiveness & distance it rewards good swings is pretty impressive.

While it may not completely become unnoticeable, the forgiveness & distance it rewards good swings is pretty impressive.
It is, but I think saying it becomes completely unnoticeable is a bit much. You can certainly adapt given the early performance I've seen, but you'll always notice the crowd.

Its a shame so many will flock to the 715 automatically when I truly believe the 815 will fit more.

Last edited:
It is, but I think saying it becomes completely unnoticeable is a bit much. You can certainly adapt given the early performance I've seen, but you'll always notice the crowd.

Its a hame so many will flock to the 715 automatically when I truly believe the 815 will fit more.

I agree it won't completely go away, but I guess for me personally after a few swings it just became another driver and I was more interested in the ball flight and forgiveness I was seeing. It's hard to explain because I feel like once I've committed to a shot or have addressed the ball the surroundings are blurred out and I focus on a good swing and the ball. It's a focus thing for me.

I also agree that the 815 will fit a wider range and the crown will just turn people away. Maybe some crown graphics or something of the like??

I agree it won't completely go away, but I guess for me personally after a few swings it just became another driver and I was more interested in the ball flight and forgiveness I was seeing. It's hard to explain because I feel like once I've committed to a shot or have addressed the ball the surroundings are blurred out and I focus on a good swing and the ball. It's a focus thing for me.

I also agree that the 815 will fit a wider range and the crown will just turn people away. Maybe some crown graphics or something of the like??
Simplest solution would have been the release of both versions here, after hitting this one, I've got no doubt the black J815 would have found a really solid audience, with the red in just afraid too many won't even try now and that's a shame. Its a very solid setup, and much more in line with the needs of us normal Internet folks haha

Bridgestone 815 Driver - THP Review

Simplest solution would have been the release of both versions here, after hitting this one, I've got no doubt the black J815 would have found a really solid audience, with the red in just afraid too many won't even try now and that's a shame. Its a very solid setup, and much more in line with the needs of us normal Internet folks haha

I'm trying it for sure.

Last edited:

Yeah I think there's a difference between noticing the graphics and them being distracting or otherwise affecting performance. The graphics will be noticeable for sure, but many guys at Bridgestone U just didn't care about it and it was a non factor, me among them. Based on the club's performance, I could care less what's on the crown.

Yeah I think there's a difference between noticing the graphics and them being distracting or otherwise affecting performance. The graphics will be noticeable for sure, but many guys at Bridgestone U just didn't care about it and it was a non factor, me among them. Based on the club's performance, I could care less what's on the crown.

If I understood correctly, Josh said that Bridgestone is planning to make a bigger presence in stores and they wanted something to catch the eyes of the golfer unfamiliar with Bridgestone Golf. He also said that they were using the more visible shafts to attract attention. Many shaft options are available for upgrades and many are at no up charge. I understood it this way but I do wish they had offered the 815 in black simply for the reason James listed, I've got no doubt the black J815 would have found a really solid audience, with the red in just afraid too many won't even try now and that's a shame.

I am a fan of the red and it did disappear (or at least become very much ignored) for me as I am like my buddy Mike, after address I simply focus on the ball and only think of making solid contact with it.

I loved the 815 at the Bridgestone University event. I only tried it, because of the looks, as a lark but once you see the performance you quickly disregard the looks. Before you determine it is not for you , just try it!

Yeah I think there's a difference between noticing the graphics and them being distracting.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. It's not distracting, noticeable yes.

I'm loving what I'm hearing about the performance on this one. And hearing it's not a low spin monster like it's predecessor is great.

Graphics don't bother me especially if it flat out performs worse case I would take a can of spray paint to it.

Allthough what could I blame bad swings on then

Sounds like Bridgestone has a solid performer on their hands. I'm just too hung up on looks and this one is way too busy for me.

d0db7d1ca346ae429ffeb9f7ad4efab6.jpg
I see RED moreso than I see graphics. I know everyone is different, but I get the same thought in my head looking at a Covert head.

I'm loving what I'm hearing about the performance on this one. And hearing it's not a low spin monster like it's predecessor is great.

Graphics don't bother me especially if it flat out performs worse case I would take a can of spray paint to it.

Allthough what could I blame bad swings on then
Its the Bridgestone driver for us normal folks hahaha

I love Bridgestone, but that crown is just too much for me. The J715 is so nice I am surprised they would go this far with the 815. Maybe if it were black with those graphics or another darker color, it might not look so bad to me... I am sure it will perform though, I have never hit anything Bridgestone that I didn't like.

Great thoughts JMan. hearing that it's a mid spin and with the launch I'm not sure this would be for me. I do really dig the crown and I typically like no graphics or alignment dot.

Great thoughts JMan. hearing that it's a mid spin and with the launch I'm not sure this would be for me. I do really dig the crown and I typically like no graphics or alignment dot.

I'd honestly drop it in that low-mid range, upper edge of that perhaps. Its not the LOW spinner like the J40 was, or what I've seen the J715 can be, but its a good thing for what area its aimed at for sure.

The sound is fantastic, legit better than the J715 based off my memory (and talking to others who've hit both), the launch is a pleasant surprise, and the distance is extremely solid. Its like I said earlier in here, after yesterday its is no surprise why it was so popular at the Bridgestone U, and why it was a better setup for many need wise.

Any comparison numbers on launch and spin compared to the I25? It looks like it would be a fun club to pull from the bag. I'm gonna follow this one you seem excited about it and when your excited it makes for great threads.

Any comparison numbers on launch and spin compared to the I25? It looks like it would be a fun club to pull from the bag. I'm gonna follow this one you seem excited about it and when your excited it makes for great threads.

The i25 is a lower spinner IMO, lower launch too. Thats just off my experiences though, both were the 9.5 model IIRC too.

Answers a lot of my questions, thanks man.

They are selling a black version in Japan:

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/greenfil/cabinet/bs/bs15-815d-i22.jpg

It'd be interesting to see if that is offered over here eventually. At this point, I'm finding it tough to actually find the 815 for purchase though.

To be honest as much as I like the black if they hope they release it immediately or shortly after the transformers crown if it's 2/3 months later that would drive me nuts. Very similar situation to the black R1.

This will sound nuts to many, but I like the red crown better. The vent thingy is a lot more noticeable and maybe I'm possibly used to the red, but I think I'd stick with the red crown if I were to buy one tomorrow and the black was an option.

This will sound nuts to many, but I like the red crown better. The vent thingy is a lot more noticeable and maybe I'm possibly used to the red, but I think I'd stick with the red crown if I were to buy one tomorrow and the black was an option.

Not nuts at all dude. We all have our likes for sure.

I just fear it being a deterrent from people trying it, which would be a shame because this is a very very solid head. Was a lot of fun yesterday, all day.

Back