Callaway 2014 Big Bertha Irons Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are easy to hit but looking down on it it's about a half step away from being an adams idea set. Very similar to the razr hl hybrid set I may well be wrong and certainly wouldn't be the first time but at their price point I'm not predicting these will sell well. I have pics of the actual heads from in store, if JB allows them to now be posted

You can post anything you want as long as it is not watermarked. As we said, as long as embargo is passed, which it is now obviously, post away.

They are easy to hit but looking down on it it's about a half step away from being an adams idea set. Very similar to the razr hl hybrid set I may well be wrong and certainly wouldn't be the first time but at their price point I'm not predicting these will sell well. I have pics of the actual heads from in store, if JB allows them to now be posted

There alot of hackers or average golfers out there that could care less how pretty a set of irons are. Especially if the products helps their game. In my opinion these irons look good and eerily similar to my Razr XF which I love. In fact I believe there are more hackers than low cappers in the game so this would benefit a large section of the golfing population. With this said, I have seen more evidence of many "good" golfers heading more in the forgiving iron direction. If looks is an issue to some then there are other options. The main issue that I see with these irons, will be the price which could very well set the average bank accounts on red alert.

The claim of only 1/2mph difference ball speed between the center of the face and on average is pretty crazy if you think about it.

I was reading what Doc was saying as an increase of 3 mph on center hits and a 2.5 mph increase on hits around the face relative to that average. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but either way, you're getting quite some increase in ballspeed all over the face.

I like the looks and the sole reminds me of my Callaway Razr XF irons. The price is also similar to the XF when they were first released. Forged heads on the XF make them a sweet hitting iron. If the new Bertha's compare and add more distance these could be on my ponder list!

The XF's are what I thought of immediately when seeing these.

Some big claims there, but if they hold true these things could be a huge hit. Would love to give them some swings.
2 clubs longer...higher ball speeds and of forgiving on the non sweet spot hits. ...sounds like a winner to me. I'll be trying these out.

I agree Turfmaster

There alot of hackers or average golfers out there that could care less how pretty a set of irons are. Especially if the products helps their game. In my opinion these irons look good and eerily similar to my Razr XF which I love. In fact I believe there are more hackers than low cappers in the game so this would benefit a large section of the golfing population. With this said, I have seen more evidence of many "good" golfers heading more in the forgiving iron direction. If looks is an issue to some then there are other options. The main issue that I see with these irons, will be the price which could very well set the average bank accounts on red alert.

The XF's are what I thought of immediately when seeing these.

Its funny many are making that comparison. To me, the Fusion is what comes to mind, including the price range. They were fantastic irons in a period where I thought much of their line lagged behind a bit. The MSRP was over $1200 too.

Its funny many are making that comparison. To me, the Fusion is what comes to mind, including the price range. They were fantastic irons in a period where I thought much of their line lagged behind a bit. The MSRP was over $1200 too.

Ahh the Fusions...I always dreamed about having a set of those.

The Bertha's looked to have more of a game improvement look and set of features than I remember the Fusions having which is why my brain went to the XFs, but it really doesn't matter if they work. I like that they put all the best technologies into the Big Bertha name rather than just making a moderately improved GI set in the $600 price range like they did back in 2002-2004. The name should represent the best Callaway can innovate.

Interesting indeed. A little meaty for me but would like to see in person before judging.

The BB irons look interesting. I wonder if they will garner the same feelings as the original BB irons from years ago. Those irons seemed clunky, but you could also seemingly hit them backwards and still get great results. Very easy to hit.

I'm a little skeptical of the two club claim. Frankly, that would hurt my more than it would help. 180+ 9-irons would make for a tough time for scoring between 100 and 150 yards.

Where's the 10-iron?

Can't embed but here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
Man... 2 clubs longer, uber forgiving and higher ball speed. What's not to like???

Oh... the $999 price is a bit higher than I would have imagined.

I think I might put these in play this weekend without any range time with them. THP Events = Great chance to test these for me.

The BB irons look interesting. I wonder if they will garner the same feelings as the original BB irons from years ago. Those irons seemed clunky, but you could also seemingly hit them backwards and still get great results. Very easy to hit.

I'm a little skeptical of the two club claim. Frankly, that would hurt my more than it would help. 180+ 9-irons would make for a tough time for scoring between 100 and 150 yards.

Going out on a limb here but I'm sure Clive75 isn't their target audience...hehe

I think I might put these in play this weekend without any range time with them. THP Events = Great chance to test these for me.
You really don't want to give away any t-shirts, do you? These have my interest quite a bit.

The irons as a whole don't interest me a whole ton, but long irons with a cup face could be extremely helpful for someone like me.

I love the color scheme on these - very similar to the Burner 2.0s

However, I always find Callaways top-lines to look "chunky" - will be waiting for a demo day to try these out!

Hawkster will pick you up either way. Go for it!

I'd have to see them in person, based on the photos they seem a bit "thick" to me. BUT The tech in those sounds amazing. 2 clubs longer? ok!

I'm a fan of anything that gives me more forgiveness on off center hits. These could be a winner for a lot of golfers in search of more distance with their irons.

I think they deserve range time. I will gladly assist.

I hope you have them just so I can see them in person.

The cup face technology is interesting to me. I'd like to swing them and test out the forgiveness of the bottom groove.

I think these look quite good. Definitely interested in trying them out. Two clubs longer is pretty amazing if it comes to fruition for me.

I like the finish to them. 2 clubs longer is quite a bit. Look bulky, but in pictures so did the Razr XF's and I thought those irons were phenomenal. Will certainly give them a look this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back