Callaway 2014 Big Bertha Irons Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dig Tge color scheme, and anything that would make me stay closer to 80 than 90... Not spending $1,000 on irons though

These irons are a riot. Super easy to hit and launch. Made for golf galaxy simulator bombs. Gotta love that 7 iron.

ega5y5em.jpg

What was your swing speed?

What was your swing speed?

I have no idea - These sims are both potentially inaccurate and definitely mediocre in information returned. If I had to venture a guess I'd say around 90ish.

I think I was hitting on the same simulator as Daniel. Because that 7i is comically long.

I wonder how this compare to the Altitudes. I am sure this go longer due to the new titanium cup faces, but I would like to know if they are as easy to hit straight and long. I doubt any iron in the world can match the altitudes. I hope to be mistaken!

I wonder how this compare to the Altitudes. I am sure this go longer due to the new titanium cup faces, but I would like to know if they are as easy to hit straight and long. I doubt any iron in the world can match the altitudes. I hope to be mistaken!

The next time I'm in golftec I'm going to find out. They have a Foresight monitor and I will be putting the Altitude head to head against the Bertha.

The next time I'm in golftec I'm going to find out. They have a Foresight monitor and I will be putting the Altitude head to head against the Bertha.

Very cool. Looking forward to your thoughts. Can the Foresight monitor count up to a billion yards?

Very cool. Looking forward to your thoughts. Can the Foresight monitor count up to a billion yards?

"I didn't know numbers went that high"

I'm eager to see how these go for you Brett.

I figure the screen will just show this:

Iron: 7
Carry Dist: A mile

I didn't know it was legal for a 7i to have that high of a ball speed.

LMK when you go Brett. Will meet you.

I'm pretty giddy to try this. The X2 Hot pro with the cup face 3 hybrid versus my Altitude 3 hybrid gave me up to 8 MPH more ball speed on the same swing speed according to the SC100 monitor, with a smash factor of 1.48. That's driver level transfer of energy.

I couldn't even tell you what cup face means and "cup face" has to be the lamest name for something so amazing, but if they pull this off in the irons like they have done with their hybrids.... GAME CHANGER.

Goes to show that some clubs work well for some and not others. Tried these yesterday and came away completely unimpressed in all aspects. I am sure however that these are amazing when fit to the right person.

Goes to show that some clubs work well for some and not others. Tried these yesterday and came away completely unimpressed in all aspects. I am sure however that these are amazing when fit to the right person.

Anything specific stand out as to why they were not a great fit for you?

Anything specific stand out as to why they were not a great fit for you?

I was not fond of the feel and the club was consistently about 10 yard shorter for me then the 3 other clubs I was testing (Mizuno JPX 850 Forged, Mizuno MP-H5 and my current gamer, the Tour Preferred MC). I know those arent in the same ballpark vs the intended market for the Big Berthas, but what struck me personally was the very heavy feel at impact. But, my experience is by no means an indication these arent great, but during my limited testing they did not appear to mesh well with my swing.

fup, where was the distance loss coming from? Just out of curiosity.

It looks to me like they are going backward to their chunky, clunky roots. I am sure they will appeal to many, but these don't look like my kind of thing.

fup, where was the distance loss coming from? Just out of curiosity.

Ball speed was low compared to the other clubs I was testing. I dont have specifics, but it was approx 8 mph lower comparatively.

Right on. Yea a seriously bad match then lol.

I hit the 7i at lunch. It was 2 degrees up for some reason but it didn't matter. This went high and straight. I was hitting this against a G30 7i and the BB definitely went higher and was about 5-8 yards longer than my current 7. And I never felt like I was really putting my best swing on them.

Yeah the top line is noticeable and a tad bulky, but who cares. I can see these ramping up the confidence of many on the course.

I hit the 7i at lunch. It was 2 degrees up for some reason but it didn't matter. This went high and straight. I was hitting this against a G30 7i and the BB definitely went higher and was about 5-8 yards longer than my current 7. And I never felt like I was really putting my best swing on them.

Yeah the top line is noticeable and a tad bulky, but who cares. I can see these ramping up the confidence of many on the course.

if they can only do that, they would be worth the MSRP

UPS somehow manage to cut a day off delivery time and should have some pics and early thoughts up tonight.

UPS somehow manage to cut a day off delivery time and should have some pics and early thoughts up tonight.

I wouldn't say that aloud, they will smite you with a late delivery just because now.

Looking forward to the in hands.

My goal today is to try to find a place to hit these.

I wouldn't say that aloud, they will smite you with a late delivery just because now.

Looking forward to the in hands.

LOL me and the UPS guy are tight. He won't let me down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back