Callaway HEX Chrome+ Golf Ball Review Thread

Save your hex blacks for ATL. I keep trying to like this ball but it and I aren't friends off the tee. Little too much spin it would appear. We'll do a little 3 sleeve trade or something

Too late. Gave the last of them to Damaikis and my buddy yesterday. Haha

Now that is interesting....I am still scuffing the plus with my wedge hits but its not happening with the blacks. Played 1 round with each yesterday.

LOL. Having said that, I played the same Black today for 27 holes. It's not exactly pretty, but I'll definitely use it again next time. I don't know man. Last year, I put some big cuts into the Black, but the ones I have now don't seem to have that issue.

LOL. Having said that, I played the same Black today for 27 holes. It's not exactly pretty, but I'll definitely use it again next time. I don't know man. Last year, I put some big cuts into the Black, but the ones I have now don't seem to have that issue.
I showed a few guys yesterday the plus after just one hole and one wedge and had a good 3 prong scuff mark on the ball. Couldn't believe it. I hit down on the balls pretty good so don't know if that's it. The black just never produced those marks. I do want to test the plus vs the black on distance off the tee. I think the plus might be longer?!

Honestly, I can't say I've noticed a difference for me in driver distance. I haven't put it on a monitor though. Both launch high and appear to spin on the low side (off the driver) for me.

Please do, I'm anxiously watching this thread try to determine if I should pick some of these up to try over the blacks. FWIW I can't just pick up a sleeve, the courses around here are very limited on selection.

I'll do another head to head and let you guys know. 1st round definitely went to the Black's.

Save your hex blacks for ATL. I keep trying to like this ball but it and I aren't friends off the tee. Little too much spin it would appear. We'll do a little 3 sleeve trade or something

This is my exact problem. I really want to like this ball because it feels great but I'm all over the place off the tee. 0-6 from the tee with the Chrome+ before losing it. 5-8 fairways hit with the Black and the fairways missed weren't nearly as bad as the ones with the Chrome+.

I used this ball for my round on Sunday and liked what I saw. The Hex Black has been my gamer for a lot of the rounds I've played the last 6-8 months. I love the Hex Black but it seems to torn up rather quickly. The Chrome+ seems to have improved on that. After 18, it was still in great shape.

From the tee, the Chrome+ seems to spin less and have less side-to-side movement vs the Black which is a good thing for me. I was able to spin it back on my wedges and mid irons. Off the putter it felt good and checked well on chips. The Hex Black performs really well in the wind and the Chrome+ does not disappoint either. All around great ball.

I still have not gotten a chance to get out and play these yet. Stupid having to work over the weekend really messed up my ball testing.......

Picked up a dozen at golf galaxy and was pleasantly surprised that they were for sale for under $30. Haven't been able to get these out on a course yet, only carpet putting. Hoping these will be my new gamer so I can load up on these things with the new price point.

Is the choice of the + over Black mainly a price issue? It seems like it's 50/50 as far as durability from what people are posting here.

Is the choice of the + over Black mainly a price issue? It seems like it's 50/50 as far as durability from what people are posting here.

MY take, having played the Chrome, the black and the chrome plus is the following

Durability - can't say that I have had any major issues with any of them. Maybe the black scuffs up a bit more, but I honestly can't tell you that for a fact.

Driver - based on my 90mph swing - Chrome probably the longest, best feeling and highest launching, Chrome + nearly the same, but feels firmer off the face and is a tad bit lower launching. The Black is dead straight, at least for me, ( this is a good summer ball, because I get great roll out to make up for distance lost on carry and I love it around the greens ) but a bit shorter and the lowest launching. I don't know if it was just my swing was off on those days, but I do tend to be a bit more sideways off the tee with the +. I think that was more the indian than the arrow though.

Irons - pretty close to the same with the driver, but I would say the + plus definitely stops better than the regular chrome, and the black is about the same as the +

Short game - The Black is clearly the winner here for me. Chrome+ is very good, and the chrome is o.k, but not in the class of the black for sure. The black does feel firmer on the face though, and that does bother some players. I know Jim ( Sharkwrestler ) and Buckjob had both mentioned this to me.

Putter - this is where I like the chrome the most. Definitley a softer feel off the putter face.

I will probably stick with the + through the summer, as it does seem to combine the things I like about each ball as close as possible. The chrome probably fits my game best on paper, but I just don't get the response from it around the greens, and my short game is where I make up most of my scoring.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Well I'm 95% sure that I've found a ball to replace the Nike One Tour D that I've been in love with since it came out.

I've now played 54 holes with the Chrome+ and never once felt like I was missing anything from the Nike ball. For 6 of the holes I played them side by side and driver distance and approach shot with exact same clubs produced almost identical results. The Chrome+ did give me a little more hop and stop around the greens compared to the Nike (which I really like) and it felt great off the putter face.

Durability wise it was fairly similar. I'd get little "cheese grating" on full wedge shots which I was hoping wouldn't happen, but I haven't found a ball yet that can handle full wedge shots without a little scuffing. But here's the kicker, I played the same ball for all 54 holes with the Chrome+. The scuffing wasn't nearly as bad as it gets on Pro V1x's and was actually a tad better than the Nike.

Now couple that with the fact that this is only $30 a dozen and it's a no brainer. This is one hell of a golf ball.

Well boys, between this thread and the one on wrx about these I've decided I have to try them. I'm slowly returning my boxes of hbt to try these out. Hopefully these work out well for me and I can plan on stocking up a bit. Might get out this weekend and will report, if not I'll check out at my league on Tuesday.

Well boys, between this thread and the one on wrx about these I've decided I have to try them. I'm slowly returning my boxes of hbt to try these out. Hopefully these work out well for me and I can plan on stocking up a bit. Might get out this weekend and will report, if not I'll check out at my league on Tuesday.

I think you will like them, hard to beat at this price point IMO.

You might say I like them:clapp:
9739_602961536394678_61188100_n.jpg

Callaway has a winner with the Chrome+. I'll still buy the Penta TP5 at the same price as the Chrome+ and the blemished Wilson Staff FG Tours at $19.99 but every time I get my $10.00 card from Golf Galaxy I'm buying the Chrome+ for $19.99.

I put the chrome+ in play all day today. I REALLY like this ball. I have played this ball enough since it's release and know that it is the only ball I need this year.

MY take, having played the Chrome, the black and the chrome plus is the following

Short game - The Black is clearly the winner here for me. Chrome+ is very good, and the chrome is o.k, but not in the class of the black for sure. The black does feel firmer on the face though, and that does bother some players. I know Jim ( Sharkwrestler ) and Buckjob had both mentioned this to me.

Putter - this is where I like the chrome the most. Definitley a softer feel off the putter face.
Hope this helps at least a little.

It does. The Black stop really quickly for me, more so than the ProV1. I have to make an adjustment when chipping. I really love the Black for that and didn't find that in the original Chrome.

I really liked the original Chrome off the putter, but it's a toss between the ProV1. I guess if I can find a single sleeve of the +, I'll giver them a try but the price isn't a factor in choosing for me. The Black and new ProV1 seem durable enough for me and I'm pretty straight with my driver and not losing then during a round. I get a round off of one ball and then toss it into the shag bag if it has any marks.

The chrome+ is a solid ball with solid performance. The durability is right on point. It's workable and has some good distance. These attributes have been discussed in great detail in this thread.

I want to touch on the distance control in have seen from this ball. I actually feel these give me a true distance instead of an inflated scene of long. Now there is nothing wrong with some extra yardage.....off the tee. But there is something to be said about hitting your 8i 165 and the ball responding to that request.
I found time and time again that my stock swing yardage was built into the vast majority shots I hit. Its rare but I had 8 irons into my first three holes, 167, 163 & 165 respectively. The first caught the top of the bunker just right of the flag, short sided. The second was a par 3 with a 'Jolt' yardage of 165, again with a tramp to carry. I came out of the swing a touch and ended up 17' right of the flag, pin high. The 3rd I ended up left of the flag and a hair long but inside 20' for birdie.

The distance control was in display off the tee as well. I had to pay attention to distance to hazards and end of fairways. If I had 250 to the Harvard or 289 to the end of the fairway I new what to take off the tee. I was able to swing free knowing the ball would ball inside that yardage or carry it based in the choice of club. It's good to know your yardages but its even better to have a ball that knows your yardages.

The chrome+ is a solid ball with solid performance. The durability is right on point. It's workable and has some good distance. These attributes have been discussed in great detail in this thread.

I want to touch on the distance control in have seen from this ball. I actually feel these give me a true distance instead of an inflated scene of long. Now there is nothing wrong with some extra yardage.....off the tee. But there is something to be said about hitting your 8i 165 and the ball responding to that request.
I found time and time again that my stock swing yardage was built into the vast majority shots I hit. Its rare but I had 8 irons into my first three holes, 167, 163 & 165 respectively. The first caught the top of the bunker just right of the flag, short sided. The second was a par 3 with a 'Jolt' yardage of 165, again with a tramp to carry. I came out of the swing a touch and ended up 17' right of the flag, pin high. The 3rd I ended up left of the flag and a hair long but inside 20' for birdie.

The distance control was in display off the tee as well. I had to pay attention to distance to hazards and end of fairways. If I had 250 to the Harvard or 289 to the end of the fairway I new what to take off the tee. I was able to swing free knowing the ball would ball inside that yardage or carry it based in the choice of club. It's good to know your yardages but its even better to have a ball that knows your yardages.

Dialing it in from every angle of your bag!

I cannot relate...lol

One of the things I caught this morning in the commercial was this is not the ball Mickelson is playing. I hit pause and looked. Said Phil is playing a Chrome Hex + Prototype......Makes me wonder how many other Tour players are doing this type of thing.

One of the things I caught this morning in the commercial was this is not the ball Mickelson is playing. I hit pause and looked. Said Phil is playing a Chrome Hex + Prototype......Makes me wonder how many other Tour players are doing this type of thing.

Lots.

I don't like the yellow ones, I can't find them to save my life, I don't know what it is usually yellow is pretty easy to spot not me.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Ive played this ball for the past two rounds, with great success. I had my best round in 8 months today, and the last was solid as well. I'm going to give the hex black another shot, but I think the chrome + is my ball.

Manged to get out for 18 with this ball over the weekend. This ball is super straight off the tee. I liked it off the irons but it is a bit overly spinny. I sucked the ball off the green a few times which is something I am not used to. Not sure if it was the greens or the ball but I felt like the ball was a bit dead off the putter and I felt as if had very little feedback. I will have to give it a few more round and see if it grows on me more. I really wanted to love this ball but I was less then wowed.

I played at the home course this last weekend and used the + exclusively, instead of just mixing it in whenever the thought crossed my mind.

I have to say, my thoughts on making this a potential 100% gamer are becoming much stronger. I have been hitting the RX since the Outing fitting, but now think I have to do a really solid ball-to-ball test between the two.

Freddie talked about distance control, and this is something I notice, the fact I can get really solid consistency, particularly on my < 150 yard clubs. Early in my last round, I had a between-club 115 yarder. I choked down on a Gap and stuffed it to like 3 feet. Later in the round, I had the same distance, took the same swing with the same club and, again, stuck it < 5 feet, pin high.

I seem to get plenty of carry, and plenty straightness, that keeps me in the fairway -- I hit 11 that day. I don't think it's the longest ball in my bag right now, but I'm loving the play on it.

I need to go out late one night and just drop two of each, RX vs. + and battle it out. Oddly, I didn't think much could touch the RX, we'll see.

Back