Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Although you likely already knew that Callaway was the number one driver in golf for 2023, you may not have realized they achieved that same ranking in fairway woods with their Paradym lineup as well. As such, the task to keep pushing the envelope can be a daunting one because there is a fine line of firepower and playability that has to be walked.

Continue reading...

Here we go!!! Yes!!!

ball speed monsters! I’m actually hitting these farther than my Paradym TD 3w and 5w, so went 3hl and heave wood.

The driver is gonna get lots of love, but I’m so incredibly impressed with these FW’s in the fittings I did last month.

Really like the look of these, cannot wait to hear the feedback on them.

There’s a chance a 5 or 7 of the max gets added to the bag. I really liked the Paradym fairways, but it’s hard to ignore the tech that’s gone into these.

The TD 7 has a serious shot at my bag this year. It's such a great option and people have been begging for it. Got to hit these and it always surprises me they don't get more love in my area.

I didn't really expect to be in the market for a FW but reading this part "AI “Swing Code” which utilizes “Real Player Swing Dynamics” of 250,000+ recorded swings" makes me pause. My Mavrik Max 3+ has been such a good club for me I can't imagine not having it in the bag, but my leap to the Paradym driver led to some impressive gains, I can only imagine going from the Mavrik line to this one will prove the same gains.

@Doubleb21 my 3w might be in trouble.

The TD 7 has a serious shot at my bag this year. It's such a great option and people have been begging for it. Got to hit these and it always surprises me they don't get more love in my area.
So what club does it replace? Long iron, hybrid?

So what club does it replace? Long iron, hybrid?
I'm done with the UT. Done! I'm going player irons to a certain point and then going immediate and rapid progression of forgiveness and ease.

Know it’s cosmetic but the way the gray on the crown transitions behind the hosel looks off. Will be really interested in hearing the GDX crew’s comments on these as they seem to have a lot of speed.

Although you likely already knew that Callaway was the number one driver in golf for 2023, you may not have realized they achieved that same ranking in fairway woods with their Paradym lineup as well. As such, the task to keep pushing the envelope can be a daunting one because there is a fine line of firepower and playability that has to be walked.

Continue reading...
@Jman where is or when will the Ai-Smoke adjustable UW be released? I have high hopes it will be a retail release and not Tour only. I saw a picture on another site of a 3/15 and am hoping they release an adjustable UW in higher lofts.

@Muchmore should my 5w be worried?
Yes, when you have @vgolfman standing next to you on the range saying these may be his favorite fairways ever, you listen. He's not saying that to press, he's not saying it on video. He's saying it just talking to you for fun. Commit

Deeper face on the TD? I can’t wait to see this in person

Maybe the club I am most excited about from Callaway’s new releases is the Ai Smoke fairway wood. The fairway wood might be the most difficult club to hit, and it seems like finding one that fits your game is a challenge.

To me, Callaway faced the same challenge with the fairway as they did with the driver: how do you improve upon a successful product that was launched just a year go? How do you make it stand out?

For starters, the Ai Smoke has a 360* carbon chassis and a tungsten speed cartridge, which saves 24g. 12g of that has gone up front to help with higher launch and lower spin and 12g in the back for higher MOI.

The Ai Smoke has four different models: the Max, Max D/Max Fast, and the Triple Diamond.
In Callaway’s testing, the AI Smoke Max is 3 yards longer than its predecessor and 7% tighter downrange dispersion.
The Max D/Max Fast is 2 yards longer with 7.5 more draw, which Callaway’s data confirms most golfers need.
The Triple Diamond is 4.5 yards longer and 4% tighter downrange.

These numbers may not sound like much, but for someone like me who used the Paradym TD all of last year and hit it really well, these are real improvements.

I do not have the specs to confirm this, but to my eye, the new Ai Smoke TD appears slightly taller than the Paradym TD. I cannot remember the last fairway wood I had immediate success with, but there was no feeling it out period with the Ai Smoke. I do like the color scheme; it’s not bold and bright so it’s not distracting. It looks like a high-end fairway.

Again, this is all anecdotal, but while I hit the Paradym TD well and it was an absolute bomber, I did have a fear that there was the potential of a punishing miss with a bad swing. I don’t have that fear with the AI Smoke. I don’t know how far off center my misses were and I know I am not flushing it every time, but contact feels solid and consistent more so than the Paradym TD.
I hit the Ai Smoke 6 times off the tee in competition and hit 50% of the fairways. One miss was right and 2 were left. On the right miss, I should not have hit the 3w because the fairway pinched in so much it was a tiny target. On the two left misses, I overcompensated worrying about trouble on the right and found the fairway left. Those two misses were playable and fine.
The biggest ask I have from a 3w is that I feel confident with itthat when I need to find a fairway and keep it in play off tee. The AI Smoke delivers in that regard. I struggle when I swing defensively. I felt like I could take a good rip with the Smoke, and it would just go straight.

What really got me hooked was the sound/feel of the Smoke TD. It is intoxicating. I am going to out go out on a limb and say it is my favorite sounding/feeling FW I’ve ever hit. I am not very good with describing sound/feel, so I apologize. It’s not loud and it’s certainly not harsh. Maybe an odd comparison, but it feels like you are compressing the ball on a flushed iron shot.

I was fit into the Smoke TD 15* lofted down to 14*. I wanted to play the 3w shorter than standard, so I believe it plays 3/4 of an inch short. Adjustments were made to keep the swing weight correct. Shaft is the Ventus Black TR 8x.
Please fire away with questions.

Continue reading...
Damn you @Jman.. damn you.. lol

3D 7 wood!!!!!!

I hit the 3w three times today and found the fairway on all three. Love this club.

IMG_8240.jpeg

That’s a lot of weight savings.

Ai Smoke TD on top. Paradym TD on the bottom.
IMG_8215.jpeg
IMG_8214.jpegIMG_8212.jpegIMG_8210.jpeg

ball speed monsters! I’m actually hitting these farther than my Paradym TD 3w and 5w, so went 3hl and heave wood.

The driver is gonna get lots of love, but I’m so incredibly impressed with these FW’s in the fittings I did last month.
These fairways are special.

The fairway was a HUGE surprise for me. I have for the last several years, played a 5W in my bag. I truly have hit the 3W historically like absolute crap, but the 5W had the right combo of length and loft to really work for my game. I went into the fitting expecting a 5W and we started there. I had zero issues with the Smoke 5W and was seeing my normal distances from it (about 200 yards). Alexis and I were trying to figure out how to gap with the driver, and we tried UWs (nope, they were shorter than the 5W, though a joy to hit), then we tried the Super Hybrid (absolutely nope, I chunked the absolute stuffing out of that.... it was thoroughly embarassing!). After a few swings, she suggested I try a 3W.

Nope, again issues with the swing and the ball just skipped off the ground, I just couldn't get it in the air. Finally, she brought out the 3HL and said "trust me". This club is the fairway I've been looking for. I am able to elevate it easily and got my missing 12 yards from the 5W! Definitely something for folks to try and get fit into if they struggle with a 3W

IMG_8923.jpeg

IMG_8930.jpeg

IMG_8932.jpeg

IMG_8927.jpeg

Let me tell you 3 wood has always been the strongest club in my bag and mercy I don’t think that changes with this guy. 3 Wood AI Smoke Max Tensei black shaft stiff 75. Freaking Rocket launcher. This sucker is gonna make 250-60 yard shots scary because it’s gonna go way too long!! The forgiveness is straight up shocking. Top it? It’s a heat seeking missile that’s in play. Chunk? Probably still going 210-220 and in play. Hook and slices? Very likely in play. Mind boggling.

I sit here and think of how good my TSR 3 wood was in 2023 and yet just WOW. Everytime you step in with a shot with this guy you honestly feel confident. If you don’t have a 3 wood in your bag this club will change your mind. This club will shrink holes and if you aren’t a confident driver this will be an absolute weapon for you. This 3 wood is gonna keep you on the course and put you in some great spots.

IMG_3613.jpegIMG_3612.jpeg

Back