Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

Still heavily pondering a heavenwood or 7w. Has anyone compared the two on a monitor?

I’m starting to get used to the Max D 3HL and 7W. They are so easy to hit.

Agreed - the 3HL more so than any other 3W I've ever played, and the 7W is just silly easy. Glad they're working out for you!

Agreed - the 3HL more so than any other 3W I've ever played, and the 7W is just silly easy. Glad they're working out for you!
I’m getting max distance for me from the 3HL. That’s remarkable because it’s so early in the season for me.

First opportunities to hit the 5W and HW this year yesterday.

5W off the first tee, aimed left side, ball went straight at where I was aimed, with perhaps the most hesitant swing I have ever had off a first tee. Loved what I saw from that ball flight, piercing shot into the wind, straight up a hill.

Off the fairway, with both the 5W and HW, is definitely a work in progress, after putting a couple very haphazard swings on the ball. Early season topping of fairway woods.... thats pretty typical for me to be honest.

The biggest thing with the HW for me, is really recognizing if the ball was hit well by the sound that comes from it. I didn't get that at all yesterday, but that was all on searching for a swing in the cold and wind.

Weirdly I wouldn't have characterized myself as a person who would really notice the sound as much as I have this year. Heavenwood definitely has a very different sound when the ball is hit well, and it is actually something I am relying on more and more as an audible cue that I have made a good swing with good contact.

Yesterday I had a ton of fun with my TD 15*. I used it 3 times and man did this thing just flat out perform. It was very windy yesterday and this with the CTX is just a cheat code weapon. Beautiful flight and crazy far distance. On 16 it was dead into the wind and its a short par 4 at about 300yd. I hit this about 275 into the wind dead straight and made par. I should have just used this all day yesterday as I my driver was a little erratic, because of my swing.

i use a max d 3hl and a max heavenwood ... slight and i mean slight draw with the 3hl and the max heavenwood is fairly straight ... with my swing not too much of difference , im just thrilled that they both are long and consistently in the fairway ...
ooohhh, tell me more about that Heavenwood. Have you played an HW in the past? Did it replace something other than a fairway wood in that spot? What distance do you use it for?

Range session today in preparation for a planned round soon, haven’t been able to go recently due to a change in work/sleep schedule so swing was not good today.

TD 3W still working great on good swings, but can get pretty fadey for me if I’m out in the toe. Got back to where I was expecting to be with it by the end of the session after fatigue was setting in, so definitely excited to take this onto the course and see what kind of fun I can have with it.

One thing that really strikes me with the club is ball flight. Even though it’s easier to hit lower flighted shots, can still hit some long bombs with it with a penetrating flight. I’ll probably be waiting a few months to upgrade my 5W slot to AI Smoke TD, but the temptation to buy one now is very much present. Lot of confidence to do some damage with the top of the bag.

Range session today in preparation for a planned round soon, haven’t been able to go recently due to a change in work/sleep schedule so swing was not good today.

TD 3W still working great on good swings, but can get pretty fadey for me if I’m out in the toe. Got back to where I was expecting to be with it by the end of the session after fatigue was setting in, so definitely excited to take this onto the course and see what kind of fun I can have with it.

One thing that really strikes me with the club is ball flight. Even though it’s easier to hit lower flighted shots, can still hit some long bombs with it with a penetrating flight. I’ll probably be waiting a few months to upgrade my 5W slot to AI Smoke TD, but the temptation to buy one now is very much present. Lot of confidence to do some damage with the top of the bag.
I am the opposite. I have been hitting the 5W so well that I have been contemplating adding a 3W and take out a wedge. The ai smoke fairways are so darn good

I am the opposite. I have been hitting the 5W so well that I have been contemplating adding a 3W and take out a wedge. The ai smoke fairways are so darn good
I have a utility 3i that I’d be replacing with 5w for ease of use. AI Smoke really just are some fun clubs, especially the fairways. Love how they look at address and sound on pure contact. Can tell when I have just mashed it versus something a little thin/heavy.

I have a utility 3i that I’d be replacing with 5w for ease of use. AI Smoke really just are some fun clubs, especially the fairways. Love how they look at address and sound on pure contact. Can tell when I have just mashed it versus something a little thin/heavy.
I agree. The 5W has been a stone cold killer off the tee when I need less than driver. I hit a bomb off bare dirt today after a poor drive; I would have not even tried that shot in the past without the confidence I have in this club.

The ball flight stands out to me as well. My favorite ball flight I’ve had with a 3w. If I didn’t love my UW, I would have the 5w in the bag.

The ball flight stands out to me as well. My favorite ball flight I’ve had with a 3w. If I didn’t love my UW, I would have the 5w in the bag.
I’m also kinda waiting for the new ventus black to hit shelves too, figure it won’t be too much longer, I heard around US Open.
Also just not in the cards at this moment for a new 5W

I’m also kinda waiting for the new ventus black to hit shelves too, figure it won’t be too much longer, I heard around US Open.
Also just not in the cards at this moment for a new 5W
Didn’t realize there was a new one coming out. I’m quite happy with the TR Black.

Didn’t realize there was a new one coming out. I’m quite happy with the TR Black.
It’s supposed to be like the new Ventus Blue release, same Ventus just Velocore+. Red is due later this year, The Open IIRC.

TR Black is a little out of my range, Black gives me the right amount of feel and stability I need. Swung a TR Black in my FW fitting because it was the weight I found was doing better for me and took some adjustments

A killer combo right there.
Have you given the 3HL much work from the light rough yet?
It is amazing how well it performs.

Yes. They absolutely nailed it in tne “address” department imo.
They are so fun (I have the 3HL and 7W) that I am actually pondering the 9W…

Yes. They absolutely nailed it in tne “address” department imo.
They are so fun (I have the 3HL and 7W) that I am actually pondering the 9W…
A shame I’d probably do myself a disservice by getting a TD 5w and 7w and my longest iron being a 5i. So fun to hit the woods but I enjoy my wedge setup for different types of shots at the bottom of the bag. Still pondering a 7W but feel like 5W is the sweet spot for the top if I can make it a 250-260 club when swing is working.

3HL works great out of light rough for me, I don't hesitate for even a second to use it when it's called for.

3HL works great out of light rough for me, I don't hesitate for even a second to use it when it's called for.
First 3 wood I’ve ever felt comfortable with using it like this on the regular.

A shame I’d probably do myself a disservice by getting a TD 5w and 7w and my longest iron being a 5i. So fun to hit the woods but I enjoy my wedge setup for different types of shots at the bottom of the bag. Still pondering a 7W but feel like 5W is the sweet spot for the top if I can make it a 250-260 club when swing is working.
That’s my dilemma as well.
I went with the 5 wedge setup. As a result I left out a 5 wood. So far it’s been working out brilliant.
The 9W would take the place of the 5H in the long gap to the top.

That’s my dilemma as well.
I went with the 5 wedge setup. As a result I left out a 5 wood. So far it’s been working out brilliant.
The 9W would take the place of the 5H in the long gap to the top.
Going 3HL - 7W has worked out well for me, since the 3HL gaps like a 4W.

At those distances I'm mostly just eating up yardage, my GIR% from 200+ is going to be very low no matter which club I'm using, so the gap between 3HL and 7W doesn't make me feel like I'm leaving a hole. A 3HL - 5W setup would be pretty narrow gapping for the top of the bag for me, in a spot where I don't need that kind of precision.

I agree. The 5W has been a stone cold killer off the tee when I need less than driver. I hit a bomb off bare dirt today after a poor drive; I would have not even tried that shot in the past without the confidence I have in this club.
I woke up thinking about this shot. Confidence is so huge in golf. As I said, in years past, I wouldn’t have trusted a 215 yard carry over the junk and would have laid up and tried to get up and down. A hole or two before this, I pulled a 6i instead of 5W to try and hit a safe shot but wasn’t committed because I wanted to hit 5W. So on this hole, I went with my gut.
IMG_0554.png

Going 3HL - 7W has worked out well for me, since the 3HL gaps like a 4W.

At those distances I'm mostly just eating up yardage, my GIR% from 200+ is going to be very low no matter which club I'm using, so the gap between 3HL and 7W doesn't make me feel like I'm leaving a hole. A 3HL - 5W setup would be pretty narrow gapping for the top of the bag for me, in a spot where I don't need that kind of precision.
Gavin Free Love GIF by Rooster Teeth

I have hit some from just off the fairway. It has worked well.

Back