Callaway Staff Irons - The Morgan Cup

Of course you knew, your whole team raves about it after ranch sessions.

I was able to play 9 holes this afternoon before an amazing thunder and lightning storm ripped through the area. I'm quite fond of the RXT's at this point. I like the fact that I can flight the ball lower with them if I need to. It's nice to hit a low, straight approach shot that just sticks greens. Actually, my whole game seemed to be good this evening, but I think the one area that stood out was GIR's, as I hit 7/9! Not a bad score for 9 today either, 34! Had two birdies and 7 pars, I wish I could've kept playing.

Good shooting, that's a stout 9 you turned in.

Great nine Captain. The success with the RXT's continues.

Great 9 today TC!

Thanks fellow Hackers. It was such a last minute thing, and I'm super tired but I played some of the most relaxed golf of my life. The course was surprisingly quiet, I assume it had something to do with clouds and storm looming. I actually should have shot a 32/33, things were going that well. Just one of those golf moments. I enjoyed being in it.

Great score TC! I am looking forward to reading more about how these irons work out for you.

Great score TC! I am looking forward to reading more about how these irons work out for you.

Thanks RW! I know you are buddy. Don't ever hesitate to ask me anything, I'll try to answer as best as I can. One thing I really want to touch on: don't be scared off b/c they have the word "Tour" in the title of the name. They're far more forgiving than any tour iron I've ever hit.

Of course you knew, your whole team raves about it after ranch sessions.

I was able to play 9 holes this afternoon before an amazing thunder and lightning storm ripped through the area. I'm quite fond of the RXT's at this point. I like the fact that I can flight the ball lower with them if I need to. It's nice to hit a low, straight approach shot that just sticks greens. Actually, my whole game seemed to be good this evening, but I think the one area that stood out was GIR's, as I hit 7/9! Not a bad score for 9 today either, 34! Had two birdies and 7 pars, I wish I could've kept playing.

Great round TC! Way to get after it.

Good stuff TC...sounds like the Razr X Tour's in your hands mean trouble for Team Paradise.

had another good round with these irons yesterday. So far I have had 1 bad round with them(shot 51). I'm really liking the way they set up and how easy they are for me to hit. I don't get the same feedback that I have gotten from my previous 2 sets, but the performance of them is top notch! Played 9 with them yesterday and hit 6 of 9 greens, 5 pars and 1 bogey for that stretch(stupid 3 putt). Yesterday was another round where I had some of those in between yardages and I found it pretty easy to take a little off my swing and not worry about where the ball was going to go. That use to be a big weakness for me, but I have confidence with these clubs that I haven't had in years.

Took these out tonight and had a blast hitting these. I didn't get to the course on time to actually get out but the range will do. I absolutely love the way these cut through the turf. I still can't get over how well they react. I still don't hit a perfect shot everytime but it's why I chose what I chose. The fat shot dispersion varies depending on how much I mess up my body position. Thankfully it's dwindling down to a few fat shots per session and round which is really helping my scores overall. Ill give TC props for having me look at Lee Westwoods swing because it really has done a lot for me. I just don't want to give the impression that if you pick up the Razr X, magical shots will happen. I'm at the handicap I am for a reason and alot of that has to do with one miss that's starting to go away. The distances are still inconsistant for me which bothers me a little bit. It just may take some more time to get used too but I'm talking inconsistant on good swings. I understand I don't hit the sweetspot each time but I'm really focusing on getting my yardage range down for each club.

Ill have a full recap tomorrow of my impressions so far. Ill try to do these weekly because I like having time to look over what I've put down and what I'm thinking now.

I have a charity scramble saturday and some course time prior for this week so I'm really excited to get the rounds in and some feedback for everyone.

Good stuff Yoccos and ddec! Love all the positive feedback from your Callaway irons.

Took these out tonight and had a blast hitting these. I didn't get to the course on time to actually get out but the range will do. I absolutely love the way these cut through the turf. I still can't get over how well they react. I still don't hit a perfect shot everytime but it's why I chose what I chose. The fat shot dispersion varies depending on how much I mess up my body position. Thankfully it's dwindling down to a few fat shots per session and round which is really helping my scores overall. Ill give TC props for having me look at Lee Westwoods swing because it really has done a lot for me. I just don't want to give the impression that if you pick up the Razr X, magical shots will happen. I'm at the handicap I am for a reason and alot of that has to do with one miss that's starting to go away. The distances are still inconsistant for me which bothers me a little bit. It just may take some more time to get used too but I'm talking inconsistant on good swings. I understand I don't hit the sweetspot each time but I'm really focusing on getting my yardage range down for each club.

Ill have a full recap tomorrow of my impressions so far. Ill try to do these weekly because I like having time to look over what I've put down and what I'm thinking now.

I have a charity scramble saturday and some course time prior for this week so I'm really excited to get the rounds in and some feedback for everyone.

nice dude! They definitely aren't magic clubs, I saw that when I posted my worst 9 holes of the year with them my 2nd time out. Since then I have been pretty good with them. You'll get your distances down, I don't know if there is anyone that will work harder than you as we get closer to TMC. I'm still really enjoying these irons. I have another lesson tonight with them, and then like you, a charity scramble this weekend.

Just wanted to summarize my thoughts of the Razr X:

Sound/Feel: The irons have a really crisp full sound at impact. On the shots where you nail the sweetspot it's a small thud and doesn't feel like anything. Strange to see the ball fly so far and high when it doesn't even feel/sound like you hit the ball.

Distance: Somewhat inconsistant so far but they are new irons. Again not the bad shots but it's the goods that have me perplexed. It's a full club at times off. But if I can just find the same tempo each time Ill be ok. Usually when I'm loose and swing a little more free I see the change. When they go long they are about a club more than I'm used too. And when they don't they match up to what I'm used too. Which honestly may not be a bad thing. Just depends how I play the course.

Forgiveness: They are extremely forgiving. There is not doubt about that. Maybe the most forgiving club I've hit this year and it doesn't look like it should. The technology packed into the Razr X does the job. I sometimes find that technology can be overstated (marketing maybe...) but in the case the club is forgiving around the face and even on the big misses the ball still goes straight and far. You do get some nice feedback, not what you'd get from the Razr X tour but it's still there. YOu can have confidence in your iron game (see DDec) and still play these irons.

Turf Interaction: These clubs really shine here. The sole appears smaller than some of the other irons in this category (I got busted trying to snap pics at the store). I have a steep angle in and I've never once felt these clubs get "stuck" in the ground. They take great divots even when hitting 4 ins behind the ball.

Shaft: I went with the Uniflex shaft and it's a solid shaft. It does go high and produces a lot of spin for me. There are times where the ball seems to hang and others where it just cuts through the air. It's just not what I'm used so maybe its a good thing.

Overall: So far really digging the irons but I just need to get them dailed in. The forgiveness is insane and they are some of the best sounding/feeling irons I've hit. Really enjoying my choice so far.

Yeah dude. They really are some great irons and I'm digging the fact you're sticking with the lessons. Can't wait to hear what you get out them.

Lol, I'm kinda pissed off now so I'm planning on bringing the best golf I've played. We will see.

nice dude! They definitely aren't magic clubs, I saw that when I posted my worst 9 holes of the year with them my 2nd time out. Since then I have been pretty good with them. You'll get your distances down, I don't know if there is anyone that will work harder than you as we get closer to TMC. I'm still really enjoying these irons. I have another lesson tonight with them, and then like you, a charity scramble this weekend.

Lol, I'm kinda pissed off now so I'm planning on bringing the best golf I've played. We will see.

Angry golf never works out well haha

TC, great 9 holes a little while back there buddy, your game is top notch right now! Ddec and Yoccos I'm glad you're loving the Razr's!

I posted a rather lengthy post where I was basically gushing about how much I love the RXTs in the Morgan Cup thread. I just love the consistency of these irons, I'm seeing the same thing shot after shot and if I don't get that I know immediately that it was my swing and not just that I caught it a groove low or nailed one on the button and got a completely different result. Nope, these are predictable and steady and I love that about them. Over the weekend I had a lot of friends checking my RXTs out and they all had a lot of very good things to say about them. A lot of them were surprised at just how good they were, and that goes back to what TC talked about a few weeks ago, somehow these irons are grossly underrated. I don't get it.

I'm really enjoying each and every time I get to hit shots with these irons!

You're right but I don't play angry. I love being focused. Gives me a reason to put in time I didnt think I had.

Angry golf never works out well haha

Glad you're enjoying these P4b!

TC, great 9 holes a little while back there buddy, your game is top notch right now! Ddec and Yoccos I'm glad you're loving the Razr's!

I posted a rather lengthy post where I was basically gushing about how much I love the RXTs in the Morgan Cup thread. I just love the consistency of these irons, I'm seeing the same thing shot after shot and if I don't get that I know immediately that it was my swing and not just that I caught it a groove low or nailed one on the button and got a completely different result. Nope, these are predictable and steady and I love that about them. Over the weekend I had a lot of friends checking my RXTs out and they all had a lot of very good things to say about them. A lot of them were surprised at just how good they were, and that goes back to what TC talked about a few weeks ago, somehow these irons are grossly underrated. I don't get it.

I'm really enjoying each and every time I get to hit shots with these irons!

Good stuff Jake. Glad to hear that you're liking the RXT's and that others are beginning to warm up to the 2011 Callaway line.

Nice write-up Yoccos. Repetition and dedication will breed familiarity and consistency. I love how you are working so hard at it brother. These clubs are going to serve you well.

Last edited:
Thanks man. And I'm not pissed off at anything here haha. Right now, golf is what I'm doing to get my other frustrations out. Seems to be working.

Nice write-up Yoccos. Repetition and dedication will breed familiarity and consistency. I love how you are working so hard it brother. These clubs are going to serve you well.

Thanks man. And I'm not pissed off at anything here haha. Right now, golf is what I'm doing to get my other frustrations out. Seems to be working.
It's a fantastic outlet for me as well my friend. I always remember that even a bad day at golf is a great day.

Yes it is. Even better when the irons don't punish me even though they probably should.

I was just going over my 9 from last friday and I was really hitting these irons well overall even with the inconsistancy in distance.

It's a fantastic outlet for me as well my friend. I always remember that even a bad day at golf is a great day.

Ok lets try one more time.

Took these to the range yesterday and really focused on consistant set up (grip, stance etc). Again also worked on my inner Lee. The yardage gaps were definitely more consistant and for the range, so were the distances. I hit a couple pushes and a couple pulls but with the pushes I know what I'm doing. I hit some fat shots but overall, probably my best night with the clubs.

I worked on low, short punch type shots. I just took the same swing with each club and measured out distances best I could without the use of GPS. The gaps were phenominal and I've never had an easier time hitting this shot. I've never practiced this shot much because I always liked hitting full irons, but after reading others thoughts I thought I should try. I can't wait to practice this in some rounds.

These irons are built for making shots easy. Not everything is long, straight and perfect but on those not so good swings, the iron is definitely more forgiving than I'm used too.

I took some pics so you can see the difference between the Razr X sole and my old Machspeeds. I had to compare the Razr X 6i with a Machspeed 5i but you'll see a big difference as far as appearance goes.

c25449a2.jpg

3330c30f.jpg

Good stuff Yoccos! I know you told me last night how good you were hitting them at the range, esp that low shot. Keep up the good work man, you are clearly putting in your time trying to improve your game for August.

Those Razr's look so much nicer than that other iron you have in your hand there. Keep up the hard work Yoccos, you're going to rock come Morgan Cup time bro.

Back