Callaway Staff Irons - The Morgan Cup

I was shocked how easy it was to hit the shots. I know you talk about them, P4B and One T were talking about those shots... I had to see what the buzz was about :). That and a few instances in my last rounds where I could've used a good idea on yardage for them.

Good stuff Yoccos! I know you told me last night how good you were hitting them at the range, esp that low shot. Keep up the good work man, you are clearly putting in your time trying to improve your game for August.

They really do P4B. The Razr technology definitely gives the appearance of a thin sole iron when you look at it. I've said before, these really fit the way I come down on the ball.

Those Razr's look so much nicer than that other iron you have in your hand there. Keep up the hard work Yoccos, you're going to rock come Morgan Cup time bro.

My range session's have me thinking alot about these clubs. My swing is consistant but my results vary. Not always good but I'm not a scratch golfer so why would I hit every shot like one?

I left yesterday feeling better than I have since I got these (which is pretty big considering the improvements I've made with the Razr's). Switched up one small thing and bam. These irons caught fire. Long, straight or a little draw. A real draw haha. Hitting some nice low shots that will serve me will from 80-120 yards with each club.

The low irons hit a little high for me so wind might be an issue but hopefully it will be windy out today when I hit the course. I can see what they do and how they react. It's a big reason I practicing those low, halfish shots.

I'm a little too excited I think. The right side of the course is almost entirely out of play with these clubs unless I cast through impact. It's pretty exciting.

Yoccos, you are doing a great job with your updates! The RAZR X is another iron that I'd put in my bag in a second. I would like to try them in some different shafts to see what the results are like.

My range session's have me thinking alot about these clubs. My swing is consistant but my results vary. Not always good but I'm not a scratch golfer so why would I hit every shot like one?

I left yesterday feeling better than I have since I got these (which is pretty big considering the improvements I've made with the Razr's). Switched up one small thing and bam. These irons caught fire. Long, straight or a little draw. A real draw haha. Hitting some nice low shots that will serve me will from 80-120 yards with each club.

The low irons hit a little high for me so wind might be an issue but hopefully it will be windy out today when I hit the course. I can see what they do and how they react. It's a big reason I practicing those low, halfish shots.

I'm a little too excited I think. The right side of the course is almost entirely out of play with these clubs unless I cast through impact. It's pretty exciting.
Keep it coming Yoccos. I real like your methodology and how much thought you've put into making these irons work for you come August. Keep at it. I have the utmost confidence and faith in you brother!

Keep up the hard work Yoccos, I love reading your updates, very inspiring to me.

I am loving being able to flight the ball lower with the RXTs, that is just simply something that I could not do with the Burner 2.0's I had previously. Last night was windy and I hit a lot of low balls, even ones that got up a little higher on me still were well lower than what I had before and must less affected by the winds.

What shaft did you go with, Jake?

Keep up the hard work Yoccos, I love reading your updates, very inspiring to me.

I am loving being able to flight the ball lower with the RXTs, that is just simply something that I could not do with the Burner 2.0's I had previously. Last night was windy and I hit a lot of low balls, even ones that got up a little higher on me still were well lower than what I had before and must less affected by the winds.

Thanks dude. You and One T really got me thinking about not hitting full shots everytime... 120 yards is 120 yards, and unless I need to carry it all, my 6i is extremely easy to hit 120 yards. Well those are my thoughts anyway. Surprised how easy it is to do with these clubs. So smooth. These irons suit your game. You're gonna be sticking tons of greens and I look forward to watching it in August.

Thank Cap. Changed my routine up a bit but not too much. Just enough though so the conditions don't hurt me as much. Consistantcy is my big thing right now. The yardages are starting to become much tighter as well as the dispersion. I don't know if I can emphasize enough the forgiveness and unique feel these irons have.

Keep it coming Yoccos. I real like your methodology and how much thought you've put into making these irons work for you come August. Keep at it. I have the utmost confidence and faith in you brother!

Hawk, I figured I might chime in here. My last set I had the Dynalite Shafts which are really light. 90 grams and these Uniflex are about 10 grams or so heavier. I feel a slight difference in weight with the Uniflex but a big difference in how the shafts feels through the swing. The uniflex feels more flexable if that makes sense.

That's quite a difference from what you've been playing in the 2.0's. Any problems adjusting? Do you like one better than the other?

I just returned from another great range session with my Callaway Razr X Forged irons. I am really falling in love with these things. The combination of the Razr X Forged heads in KBS Tour shafts is providing me with a high launching ball that just stays in the air and holds its line. These irons look great at address and, if it's possible, even better in my bag. I've already received numerous compliments about how sweet these irons look. I'm planning to hit the course tomorrow armed with these great irons in combination with a Callaway Tour i(z) ball (and also a Tour i(s) mixed in on a few holes) and will report my findings after my round.

Just read through the whole thread. It had been a few days since I checked in. Def jealous ya all getting some mad range time in with the irons. I can't wait to begin dialing in our new irons.

Those razr x irons were a blast to hit, i only regret my ball striking was poor in Florida. They would be a blast to hit now.

How did you all decide on the gap wedge/aw or 3rd jaws wedge?

I've never had the gw/aw match my irons... Might go demo one.

I think all of us that did the RX's or RXT's got the AW. TC was raving about his and it's his favorite club. Best decision I made... So much easier to hit than the 50* I still have in my bag.

Just read through the whole thread. It had been a few days since I checked in. Def jealous ya all getting some mad range time in with the irons. I can't wait to begin dialing in our new irons.

Those razr x irons were a blast to hit, i only regret my ball striking was poor in Florida. They would be a blast to hit now.

I think all of us that did the RX's or RXT's got the AW. TC was raving about his and it's his favorite club. Best decision I made... So much easier to hit than the 50* I still have in my bag.

I got the AW in my set and I already cant wait to hit after reading everyones thoughts. Ive become a huge fan of the matching gap wedge. Agree with you bro, theyre so easy to hit they usually become my money club.

OEM, I agree.. this is definitely becomming the club for pitch shots. They don't get the spin of the JAWS but with the types of shots I hit with it, not a bad thing. I wish I had thought about putting a more traditional wedge shaft in it though. Thought that might be interesting.

I got the AW in my set and I already cant wait to hit after reading everyones thoughts. Ive become a huge fan of the matching gap wedge. Agree with you bro, theyre so easy to hit they usually become my money club.

So another round in and was it a mixed bag of emotions. I felt like Ron Burgandy and all I could think was.. "It's so hot outside, 1* up was a bad choice"... Ill get into the shot by shot but you'll notice a pattern. Now, it's not a bad thing. Just something Ill need to adjust too when I aim. I was fuming about it yesterday to be honest, to the point I almost lost my temper. I've never made so much good contact during my round to shoot a 47. One I really had to work for. I'm not a GIR machine but I missed everyone. Not by much either, I was in the sand or on the fringe for 7/9 of them. Easily could've been GIR's and they were good shots except one.

I'm finding a couple things about this club.. LONG but the wind was eating my lunch on the last hole. I'll get more into my thoughts on that one.

Superstition Springs (71.7/126 6700 yards)

Hole #1: FIR, have 68 yards left to the hole. Pull out my 9i to hit a low punch.. The green was uphill and I miss judged the carry. Shouldve gone 8i. Went to the left. Tough chip, 2 putt bogey.

Hole #2: Drive went right, 155 to an uphill green that I usually club up 1 or 2. 7i to just short of the green and it rolls into a very steep bunker, got my first shot out but spun it back in because I landed short. hit out and 2 putt for double.. YIKES lol. Again another great shot but had to hit it high and caught it just a tad fat. That 7i strike felt great though and distance loss was minimal but enough to keep me off the gree.

Hole #3: Played 165 and pulled out my 7i. I actually managed to put a fade on this shot. Lands about pin high and to the right. I have one foot in the edge of the bunker and 1 foot out. Awkward shot but somehow get it over the bunker and 2 putt for bogey.. *sigh* It really was another solid shot but I definitely mishit it. Distance loss wasn't punishing and it stayed more online than usual.

Hole#4: Knocked the crap out of my M3 and was left with 105 to the pin. I figure nice easy AW with a little left off. I got that cotton ball feeling and the ball just went, slight draw.. OVER the green. Perfect chip with my 9i but should've gone PW because it just caught the slope a little too hot and went forever. Good twoputt for Bogey.

Hole#5: No Razr on this bad boy.

Hole #6: Hit my drive too far and ended up in trees. Punch out, hybrid, and left with a 137 yard shot to the pin. Figure, my 9i is about 140-145 the way I'm hitting and I was in between clubs. Always hear take the longer club if you can and I did. Nailed my 9i and it GPS'd 149. With a draw... right into the sand... LOL. SO for fun I pull out my PW and hit the exact shot I wanted to with my 9i and it still would've been past the flag. Gps'd that 138 and it spun back some. Still had a draw hahahaha. Needless to say, two putt for double

Hole#7: 170 to the hole but an elevated green. pull out my 6i... It doesnt look like much but it plays another 10 yards. I hit my shot pin high.. with a draw, into the sand. End up with a bogey.. 1 putt bogey haha. Beautiful out from the sand, just not enough and it caught a downhill roll into another sand bunker.

Hole#8: Par 5... Put my drive left.. (WTH), punch out of some horrible conditions and I have 180 or so to the back pin location. I figure 6i would do the trick. Boy it would've. Another really good shot that I had a nice draw that putt me off the green. At this point all I could was laugh because I hit another good shot just couldnt play it. Bogey

Hole #9: This plays into the wind. Put my drive in a great spot and have 120 left to the hole. Figure AW. Hit it good, wind catches it, 20 yards short into a bunker right before the green. I just hit it too high. Pull another ball for fun, put it a little more back in ym stance.. Pin high, just off the left lol. Bogey this one.

Once I learn to play this draw I could see my GIR's jumping up dramatically. I was pretty baffled and upset yesterday when I texted a friend of mine and it wasn't at these irons. They performed beautifully and I'm going to need to adjust from playing a fade to playing a draw. Also the distances shocked me because they were much longer than my last round by a good margain. I had the Tour i(z) in play so maybe it helped.

The fairways were tight and these irons played off them really well. These certainly cut through the grass just fine and no digging at all. Have my tournament Sat so I'm excited for that. Need to take a step back, quit overthinking and play the draw!

Just play that draw dude and you'll be good! How much of a draw are you seeing? You're putting in a lot of work with these irons, I have no doubt by August you will be ready and hitting some great shots. The distances are something I have been getting used to. I am going to get 9 holes in tonight, and then I have a scramble tourny tomorrow afternoon so I may go out and play 18 in the morning on top of that.

Yoccos, great update buddy. Sometimes our minds can be our worst swing hitch. Just trust yourself, trust your hardwork, clear your mind and just play golf buddy. Use what's working on the day.

OEM, I agree.. this is definitely becomming the club for pitch shots. They don't get the spin of the JAWS but with the types of shots I hit with it, not a bad thing. I wish I had thought about putting a more traditional wedge shaft in it though. Thought that might be interesting.

I was torn on the matching AW, but I decided to go with it. I've never had a matching wedge to any of my iron sets before. I'm glad I did. Like TC said the AW is becoming my favorite club. I can hit a full shot from about 125 and then choke up on it so I can hit it around 100. I have been using it on pretty much all of my pitch and chip shots as well. There is something nice about being able to pull a wedge, looking down at it and it looks just like every other iron in your bag. I'm still debating on which wedge set up I will be going with for my other 2 wedges.

I was torn on the matching AW, but I decided to go with it. I've never had a matching wedge to any of my iron sets before. I'm glad I did. Like TC said the AW is becoming my favorite club. I can hit a full shot from about 125 and then choke up on it so I can hit it around 100. I have been using it on pretty much all of my pitch and chip shots as well. There is something nice about being able to pull a wedge, looking down at it and it looks just like every other iron in your bag. I'm still debating on which wedge set up I will be going with for my other 2 wedges.

You hit the nail on the head for me to buddy: I love the uniformity in looks when looking down at it. I'm thinking of 54* and 58* for my wedges.

edit: to add one other thing on why I chose the stock gap wedge: for me, it's a wedge that I typically use a full swing for. I believe the added forgiveness makes me much more consistent from 100-120 yards.

You hit the nail on the head for me to buddy: I love the uniformity in looks when looking down at it. I'm thinking of 54* and 58* for my wedges.

edit: to add one other thing on why I chose the stock gap wedge: for me, it's a wedge that I typically use a full swing for. I believe the added forgiveness makes me much more consistent from 100-120 yards.

I'm thinking 54 and 58 as well. Though I've never hit either out of a trap before so that has me a little worried. I may try to pick up a used 54 or 58 at Golf Galaxy and test them out. To your edit point: we actually think alike on that one.

Its about 5 yards broski. Good luck on your tourney and rounds man. Stick some more within 10 haha.

Just play that draw dude and you'll be good! How much of a draw are you seeing? You're putting in a lot of work with these irons, I have no doubt by August you will be ready and hitting some great shots. The distances are something I have been getting used to. I am going to get 9 holes in tonight, and then I have a scramble tourny tomorrow afternoon so I may go out and play 18 in the morning on top of that.

Thanks TC. You're absolutely right and I'm taking today off from the big clubs to let it soak in.

Yoccos, great update buddy. Sometimes our minds can be our worst swing hitch. Just trust yourself, trust your hardwork, clear your mind and just play golf buddy. Use what's working on the day.

It's just so much easier to hit than the 50* and it's awesome not having to worry about any type of gaps I may usually when picking an AW.

Same here dude.

I'm thinking 54 and 58 as well. Though I've never hit either out of a trap before so that has me a little worried. I may try to pick up a used 54 or 58 at Golf Galaxy and test them out. To your edit point: we actually think alike on that one.

Had a great weekend with these irons.

Playing my draw and distances are really coming around. Still a little frustrated with the awkward gap between the PW and AW as it doenst always exist but creeps up big time on the course. Ill play with ball position going forward to see if that helps. Mishits are easy to feel because the feedback is great with these.

I had a great shot with my 8i. The flag was 152 out on a slightly elevated green. I smacked my 8i it hopped, stopped and rolled back a couple feet. These irons can generate a ton of spin because these greens were like concrete at the end of the day.

The AW is a monster from 100 yards and in despite my fullshot woes. Easy to control, accurate and again stops when you need it too.

Couldn't have been happier yesterday. For all the talk that the RXT's are underappreciated I think the RX's even more so. If people are looking at GI's and don't have these on the list, they are really missing out.

Back