CHAMP Spikes Challenge Review Thread

another round in with the Zarmas, again no issues with slippage and very comfortable and no grass or dirt build up. did have 2 sand saves today no issues at all in the sand with them either. it was a perfect day up here. i rode in a cart, i was on a time constraint to get done before an outing they had. i should get out and walk this next week sometime for a whole round. see how my feet feel afterwards. also still not noticing any major wear on these yet. besides the tips of the spikes turning yellow which i honestly could care less about. they are white spikes im sure the grass is whats turning them colors or all the chemicals.

also still not noticing any major wear on these yet. besides the tips of the spikes turning yellow which i honestly could care less about. they are white spikes im sure the grass is whats turning them colors or all the chemicals.

Exactly my thoughts on the yellowing, same thing happened to the white spikes on my Adidas shoes.

Exactly my thoughts on the yellowing, same thing happened to the white spikes on my Adidas shoes.

i mean it kinda sucks but im not staring at the bottom of my shoes ever unless im cleaning out goose poop.

I walked 18 on Weds with Champ Stingers and had never really paid attention to how clean they stayed, but after the round I made it a point to check and they was very clean and the only build up was on the molded cleats on sole of my Air Zoom Trophys. No slippage but I did pay attention to what it was like to walk on the cath path, and it was as uncomfortable as I remember it being.

I played 18 with the Zarmas last night, using a cart. It might just be me, but I do feel a little more stable with these than my Softspikes I had been using. I really do not feel like my feet could even slide if they wanted to with these spikes. They really grip into the turf quite well. So far, I can say that I might not have picked these spikes up in the past, but now they might be the only ones I buy in the future.

Since I've been working on my swing and trying not to slide like I used to, the stingers are really helping me keep my lower body still on my backswing, I didn't understand how important stability was until I got these spikes, I am really happy with them so far and the wear hasn't been too bad like my last spikes.

I walked 18 on Weds with Champ Stingers and had never really paid attention to how clean they stayed, but after the round I made it a point to check and they was very clean and the only build up was on the molded cleats on sole of my Air Zoom Trophys. No slippage but I did pay attention to what it was like to walk on the cath path, and it was as uncomfortable as I remember it being.
Nice update Paydough, I will have to watch to see how comfortable or not they are when I get to the course and walk on some asphalt.
I played 18 with the Zarmas last night, using a cart. It might just be me, but I do feel a little more stable with these than my Softspikes I had been using. I really do not feel like my feet could even slide if they wanted to with these spikes. They really grip into the turf quite well. So far, I can say that I might not have picked these spikes up in the past, but now they might be the only ones I buy in the future.
Nice update Chewie, that bolded says a lot.
Since I've been working on my swing and trying not to slide like I used to, the stingers are really helping me keep my lower body still on my backswing, I didn't understand how important stability was until I got these spikes, I am really happy with them so far and the wear hasn't been too bad like my last spikes.
Nice update leiruagetro, my back foot tends to slide a little bit on my driver swing so im glad to hear these are keeping you very stable.

Walked another 18 holes today in my Zarmas today at Diamond Ridge. The spikes did wonderfully in perfect conditions. It was a mix of fairway, rough and sand. They gave me the grip I needed in all the conditions and of course they came out super clean and no clapping in the parking lot!

But here is the wear year I wanted to see after 39 holes of normal use. If you take a look in the second picture, a finger on the right heel spike is beginning to bend in an awkward direction. It may be a combination of walking on some hard pan and cart path and parking lot. It did not affect me on the course but it could affect the longevity of the spike.

aee386c8-d69b-892a.jpg

aee386c8-d6ad-995c.jpg

I have been taking pictures after every round and hopefully I can get 10 seconds of time lapse video on the usage.

To be continued...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wzjlyl

Nice PMOA, great pics. I like that time lapse idea should be very interesting to watch.

Played 9 holes with the Stingers today, and had zero issues. I do feel like I am better grounded, I sometimes have a problem with my front foot sliding on me...and I haven't had that issue yet with the Stingers in my shoes.

Just a nice solid base, what more can you ask of golf spikes?

The other thing of note, is that fact that these are clean as a whistle....nothing at all on the spikes! Will be playing lots of golf this weekend, so they will get a workout!

But here is the wear year I wanted to see after 39 holes of normal use. If you take a look in the second picture, a finger on the right heel spike is beginning to bend in an awkward direction. It may be a combination of walking on some hard pan and cart path and parking lot. It did not affect me on the course but it could affect the longevity of the spike.

This is something I will keep an eye on too, how durable are the 'fingers' on the spikes. The Zarmas have been great out of the box, but I want to control my enthusiasm until we can test the durability and response in really wet conditions.

This is something I will keep an eye on too, how durable are the 'fingers' on the spikes. The Zarmas have been great out of the box, but I want to control my enthusiasm until we can test the durability and response in really wet conditions.

I have played in the rain with zero problems out of the Zarmas, no slippage.

I have played in the rain with zero problems out of the Zarmas, no slippage.

Good to hear, we're in a drought here in the midwest so I dont want to get too positive too fast.

I am of the mind of thinking they should do very well in rain, I have played the Zarma's the day after a 2" rain and had zero slipping problems. My real concern is hard pan when the have trouble digging in. I have played several rounds on mine already on several courses and several area's on each course have some very barren areas from which you must play your shot. The softness of the new Zarmas holds as well as anyone could hope, I want to see how well they are holding after 20/25 rounds. Hardpan should be a formidable challenge at that point. Soft areas should be no problem as long as the spikes hold on hardpan I would think.

Here is a link to my primary posts in this thread if anyone would like to see them http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=1417536&viewfull=1#post1417536

Exactly Dan. Now that the honeymoon is over, let's see how they do.

I would think if the Zarmas had no problems in the hardpan they wont have trouble digging in anywhere IMO. Now its just up to the durability aspect which I cant wait to see how they hold up. I will have my first on course experience next weekend with the Scorpion Stingers and I cant be more excited fellas.

Hey everyone, The Annihilator was nice enough to make a champ smiley for everyone lol :champ: if you guys haven't noticed.

anyways, I am still liking the champ spikes and sorry pmoa, I'm going to be doing plagiarism and Ill do a timelapse video for the stingers, I hope you don't mind bro.

I've notice before that the little arms tend to get week after lots of use on pervious champ spikes and I have had them snap off in the middle of a round-I guess 9 holes a day walking does that to you haha. I haven't seen this amount of wear yet, just some slight discoloration and a little of the plastic has become scratched. The one thing that I have changed though is I stopped walking through the parking lot when not necessary because I want to be able to make them last for THP purposes. Stability hasn't really been affected since the spikes are still long enough to make solid contact with the ground! Like pmoa said, the honey moon is over and now it's time to see how they last to extensive play!

Played in a scramble today with a fresh set of Zarma's in my spikes. I am impressed! The grip was amazing. On the range warming up I was over rotating my feet a bit and was tearing up some of the grass. The was zero issue with slipping on wet grass or dry grass. Not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I was leaving imprints everywhere I went on the greens. The cushion on the spikes are pretty nice and made my shoes a little more comfortable. You can feel them flatten out a bit as you walk. I hope they continue to bounce back as they get more rounds in them. I try to stay off the cart path and pavement as much as can in my golf spikes, but I will def be doing that with these. I don't want the pavement to flatten them prematurely. During and after the round, I rarely had to clean the bottom of my shoes. Just a few leaves here and there.

I am only one round in with the Zarma's, but if they continue like this round, I will continue to buy them.

Played in a scramble today with a fresh set of Zarma's in my spikes. I am impressed! The grip was amazing. On the range warming up I was over rotating my feet a bit and was tearing up some of the grass. The was zero issue with slipping on wet grass or dry grass. Not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I was leaving imprints everywhere I went on the greens. The cushion on the spikes are pretty nice and made my shoes a little more comfortable. You can feel them flatten out a bit as you walk. I hope they continue to bounce back as they get more rounds in them. I try to stay off the cart path and pavement as much as can in my golf spikes, but I will def be doing that with these. I don't want the pavement to flatten them prematurely. During and after the round, I rarely had to clean the bottom of my shoes. Just a few leaves here and there.

I am only one round in with the Zarma's, but if they continue like this round, I will continue to buy them.

Nice write up seems you're seeing the same results as everyone else. I really hope these are durable and keep their spring. I had a range session with these today but nothing new to report.

Nice update marshallucf. Glad they are working out for ya so far.

Will have an indepth review and video up on Monday, that is the soonest I can make it to the course. Sorry for the delay guys.

Thanks for the heads up leiruagetro on the icon, also nice thoughts on the spikes.

Good stuff there marshallucf, I am feeling pretty much the same as you about the Zarma's. I am now primarily a rider so I am wearing my spikes anytime I am at the course, parking lot, walk up to clubhouse, all over the course to see how they hold up for us older golfers who don't walk the course as often as we used to.

Another round and practice session in with the Champ Scorpion Stingers and I am still very impressed with them. I mentioned in another thread that a summer thundershower came through here today and sat over the course for about an hour, I was on the course after that and still had plenty of grip, no slippage at all.

But the thing that is most impressive is playing is wet or damp conditions is usually when my spikes would get clogged with loose grass clippings and things....but after being on the course for about 5 hours for a round and then some practice, the spikes were still completly clean....I always have to clean my spikes on the brushes outside the proshop before going in...but there is nothing to clean!

I really hope the durabilty on these hold out, because so far i am digging them.

I gotta admit, I never thought about changing the spikes. I just figured on getting new shoes. I'm going to have to see about getting my spikes off and replacing them. They're some old adidas traxion something or other and I know they need replacing...they're beat to all hell. great info on this thread. Thanks and keep it up testers!

I gotta admit, I never thought about changing the spikes. I just figured on getting new shoes. I'm going to have to see about getting my spikes off and replacing them. They're some old adidas traxion something or other and I know they need replacing...they're beat to all hell. great info on this thread. Thanks and keep it up testers!

If you've never changed your spikes before, make sure to take your shoes with you when you go to the store. There are several types of 'threads' so one set of spikes wont fit every type of shoes. Luckily, the CHAMPs come in several different types of threads so you should find what you need.

Back