Chapstick on driver face during league play.

Bullfrog

Team Hackers 4EVA!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
I played in league tonight. And my opponent had sliced his drives on the first 2 holes that needed a driver. The 3rd is a par 3 so he hits iron. On the 4th hole, he reaches in his pocket and pulls out some Chapstick. Proceeds to put a nice thick coat on his driver face. I ask him what he is doing. He proceeds to tell me that he does it to see where he hits the ball on the driver face. I respond by saying that it will stop a slice too. And he says its legal. I reply to him again by disagreeing that it's legal. He tees up and hits it dead straight down the middle. On the next hole he tees off with it again, hits it dead straight then shows me the face. There is still a huge coat on it. Says see just to see where I hit it on the face. I respond and say plus it help you hit it straight again. We get to our balls in the fairway. The league rules advisor was in the fairway over. So, I ran over and ask him about the situation. The LA tells me it's a 1 stroke penalty on every hole he used it. So, we correct the score card for those 2 holes with the penalty strokes. He cleans his driver face and we finish the match play. He sliced every drive after that. With or without the penalty strokes, I still would have and did win the match.

I don't think it's a big deal if someone is practicing on the range and they feel they need to do it to see where face contact is. Then it's not a big deal. But during league play I think it's cheating. What would you do in this situation? Would you call them out on it? Would you put something on the face of your driver (other than impact tape) to see where contact was during a range session or league play? What about just a mess around round with your buddies?

Please discuss.

It's cheating. Not allowed, call him on it every time.

Illegal - practice is different than playing for score.

There are clear cut rules about his behavior, it was taken care of by the "rules committee", I would leave it at that.

It's against the rules, you are correct. If the rules are played in your league he is breaking them and cheating.

If its someone i worked with or had to deal with daily I would mention it but let it pass and try and beat him anyway. In dead solid perfect it was vaseline.

I don't think there is anything to discuss. He cheated plain and simple

In a competition? Heck yes, I'd call my opponent on it. That is not "legal". If it's a practice round or on the range, no problem, but in a competition? No way.

Definitely illegal as you said. Good on you for calling him on it.

I have heard how it or Vaseline straightens drives out. But I've never even been tempted to do it on the range just messing around.

That's pretty crappy of him. I'd definitely call him on it, and I think the penalty shoukd have den alot more than 1 stroke.

He shouldn't be altering the face, club or anything like that during the match. Driving range ... fine. It's no different if he pulled out a training device.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's cheating, period. Chapstick, Vaseline etc. I read an article recently about putting foot powder (spray) onto your driver to see where you are hitting the ball. But only while at the range. And just to get an idea.

Totally legal. I do admit though I will occasionally not wipe the driver face off when it is raining but pretty sure that is legal as long as you don't go out of your way to let it get wet.

Totally cheating..good job calling him on it. I've used foot powder on the range before.

Totally legal. I do admit though I will occasionally not wipe the driver face off when it is raining but pretty sure that is legal as long as you don't go out of your way to let it get wet.

Dead wrong.
It's applying a foreign substance to reduce spin.

It's ILLEGAL

Wow its cheating to the max!!! Dont know what you think is legal but doing something like this is a disgrace to honorable golf and everything it stands for. A wet face from rain is VERY different from a friction altering substance that has been applied for that purpose. JUST IMO

I'm confused, how does chapstick or Vaseline help straighten out a slice?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Totally cheating and I would have called him on it every time

Can't believe someone would do that in competition but maybe I should. You did the right thing.

Dead wrong.
It's applying a foreign substance to reduce spin.

It's ILLEGAL
So not wiping water that got on your clubface between the cart and tee box is illegal?

Reduces spin
I kinda figured that, just was wondering how. Guessing it gets on the ball and turns it into a knuckleball?

I kinda figured that, just was wondering how. Guessing it gets on the ball and turns it into a knuckleball?

If spin is reduced than so will the slice. To have a ball slice it needs lots of sidespin. Reducing that with Chapstick reduces the slice

If spin is reduced than so will the slice. To have a ball slice it needs lots of sidespin. Reducing that with Chapstick reduces the slice
Yeah, I understand what causes a slice. Still unsure HOW the chapstick reduces spin though.

Back