Chapstick on driver face during league play.

Yeah, I understand what causes a slice. Still unsure HOW the chapstick reduces spin though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Reduces friction, face doesn't grab the ball

Yeah, I understand what causes a slice. Still unsure HOW the chapstick reduces spin though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

A large part of the spin equation is friction between the ball and club face. By applying vaseline you have made an oil slick on the face that reduces a large amount of friction between the ball and club face with the result being dramatically reduced spin.

That's crazy!

Totally reminded me of this though! NSFW

[Video=youtube;Pdjgdb-OxY8]https://youtu.be/Pdjgdb-OxY8[/video]

Ummm...yeah...that's cheating.

ILLEGAL!!! Way to call him on it.

You did the right thing by calling him out. Straight up illegal.

Straight cheating and to think its not is asinine. Good on u frogger

Completely cheating. I am honestly surprised it is only a 1 stroke penalty per hole. I would have thought it would be loss of hole in match play, and 2 strokes per hole or disqualification in stroke play.

Also, the viscosity of water is not even close to that of chapstick. A wet face from rain might reduce spin slightly, but nowhere near as much as a coat of chapstick.

Completely cheating. I am honestly surprised it is only a 1 stroke penalty per hole. I would have thought it would be loss of hole in match play, and 2 strokes per hole or disqualification in stroke play.

Also, the viscosity of water is not even close to that of chapstick. A wet face from rain might reduce spin slightly, but nowhere near as much as a coat of chapstick.
Carrying the club is 2 strokes per hole up to 4 strokes. Making a stroke with the club would be disqualification.

This is altering the playing characteristics of a club by applying a foreign substance to the face.

The penalty to simply CARRY an altered club is:

Match play is is loss of hole, up to 2 holes.
Stroke play it's a 2 stroke penalty per hole up to 4 strokes.

The USE of the altered club is disqualification in either case, so after the first swing he would have lost the match, not just the hole.

Decision 4-2b

The above post is correct.

I know this rule well because it came up in a high school match in 1982. I called a competitor on it and since he had taken a stroke with the driver after applying vaseline, he was DQ'd.

Dude is a chump... can't believe how ballsy he was about it also... did he have a shaved driver too?

Wow!!! Glad you called him on it. Pretty sad that he has to cheat to win.

Good for you for calling him on it!

Altering the club is altering the club, be it chapstick on the face, or changing hosel settings etc.

Good move calling him out for cheating. This thread does make me curious as to how much advantage putting vaseline or chapstick on a driver would be however.

I just can't fathom stuff like this. Who, in the middle of league play, would pull out something and put it all over the face of a club and try to play it off? What a !@#$%.

Good move calling him out for cheating. This thread does make me curious as to how much advantage putting vaseline or chapstick on a driver would be however.
The more a player sucks the bigger the benefit is for him.

Sounds like he was being a Richard and trying to pull a fast one. Good on you for calling him out and enforcing the rules.

It's flat out cheating and I would call it on them every time. Not sure how some one can do that with a clear conscience and think that's fine.

No discussion it's illegal. Just surprised someone had the gall to even try it and then defend it.

It's cheating. Finding the impact spot is what practice is for.

Or hit the ball hard enough to see some DNA left on the clubface :wink:

Echoing many others who have already commented, good on you for calling him out!

You 100% did the right thing. Good for you!

Back