Chromax Distance - Forum Testing Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP forum members will be testing the new Chromax Distance golf ball and this is the thread where we'll discuss our findings. Feel free to ask questions and join in while we test these golf balls.

I'll be participating in the testing and have received the balls, so I'm ready to get started. A little bit about me - I'm a 12.5 hcp with a driver swing speed in 100 mph range - so definitely not in the realm of big hitters. I normally play either the Bridgestone e6 or Srixon Z-Star. I typically look for a ball that gives me a higher trajectory, low driver spin, maximum distance, soft feeling on full shots, and predictability with the short game. I can play a ball that doesn't spin by adjusting for a little more roll.

Another thing I'll mention is that I've played Chromax balls in the past and have always enjoyed them, though I've always seen them as a novelty rather than a performance ball. I don't really think that's a negative thing and I've never felt like they performed poorly - they just have struck me as a ball that I play on a whim to spice things up. Golf is about enjoyment and I've had fun playing balls from this company. I'm excited to see if my feelings regarding performance change during this testing. They are designed for distance, visibility and soft feel, so those are things I'll be concentrating on.

Here's a little info from the company describing this new golf ball:

Chromax Distance Features and Benefits:

Inner CoreThe high-energy large titanium core is made of a poly-butadiene rubber compound blend and molded to create superior feel, durability and elasticity.

Outer Cover
The translucent soft Durable and stain-resistant Surlyn® cover provides soft feel in and around the green. The High Visibility Technology Metallic layer helps reflect sunlight providing excellent visibility in all lighting conditions allowing golfers to easily track the ball in flight and on the course. The illuminating color assists golfers in seeing the line and improves putting.

Dimple Design
The patented 482-dimple design optimizes trajectory, distance and spin while providing optimal control.

Compression and Spin Rate:
90 compression and Medium spin rate

Price and Availability:
The new Chromax Distance ball is available now with a suggested retail price of $42 per dozen.

Colors:
Electric Green and Galactic Gold

Some pictures
DSCN1607-L.jpg

DSCN1610-L.jpg

DSCN1612-L.jpg

DSCN1614-L.jpg

First Impressions

I have a feeling my first impressions may be a little different than our other testers. First of all, I'm quite used to the metallic and shiny look that Chromax balls have, so it's not quite as shocking to me as it may be to others.

The packaging was very sharp and an improvement over what I've seen from Chromax in the past. It looks like a box that we'd see with any big-name golf ball. It follows the metallic/bright theme and has information about the ball on the back.

I've never really been able to figure out the dimples on Chromax balls. They just seem different than anything else I've played, but it's so hard to confirm that because the cover is so translucent. To my eyes, it almost feels like the dimples go outwards, though I suspect they don't. They play tricks on my eyes. The cover is very firm, like any other suryln/ionomer ball. I have no expectations for this ball when it comes to greenside spin, but I regularly plays balls with similar qualities, so no big deal there.

I have to say that I was quite impressed with the color. The cover is a translucent chartreuse color with the metallic layer underneath. This shade of green is a huge improvement over the previous shade of green Chromax used. It's something I actually spoke about with the company at one point and it seems like they have listened. I'm excited to try this out on the course since I do think the new green will be much more visible both in the air and on the ground.

Take a look at this picture and you'll see what I mean. The Distance ball is sitting next to the older green ball.

DSCN1618-L.jpg

I took time to chip and putt with the balls and I'll share some thoughts and video of that shortly.

Wow you weren't kidding about the color there man. The newer looks much much better. Since you have a bit more leaves than I do, do you mind throwing these in or near some leaves and see how tough they are to find? I'll be doing the same in our dormant rough. I lost a brand new ball in the rough today and was pretty irked.

• Staff
I took a couple pictures today, mward. I'll see how they turned out and post them up.

WOW, the color is cool....can't wait to see what the gold looks like, I have never played these balls before but I look forward to putting them in play this weekend.

I can't wait to get mine!! They look amazing! Great write up my hawk, as always

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

They remind me of the Vision balls which I quite like but this may be a bit over the top for my taste.

I kinda like the color. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

480+ Dimples? Wow...

Hey guys, I thought to start this testing off I would discuss a little bit about myself. I am hovering right around a 10-11 handicap. I have rounds in the low 80s, as well as some that creep into the 90s on a bad day. I have been in the 70s one time, but I am working hard to get my index below a 10. The thing I tend to struggle with the most is my short game. My feel inside 100 yards is suspect at best, and it is something I am working very hard on.

In terms of what kind of golf ball I like to play, I have been all over the map. Before I joined THP I just played whatever was on sale, and I felt like I probably wasn’t getting the full advantage of what a golf ball truly was. I have completed two different online ball fittings, and have been recommended the E6 and Q-star, respectively. I play those two balls quite frequently, as well as the Top Flite Gamer V2. I like a ball that doesn’t have a ton of sidespin, because when I put a bad swing on the ball I can create a pretty ugly slice. I have never been a high-spin player, so sometimes I see more runout on wedge shots than I would like, but that is the trade off when using a two-piece golf ball without the Urethane cover.

I will fully admit I don’t know near as much about golf balls as many here, but I do know that being fit to a golf ball and sticking with it can really help ones game. I plan on comparing the Chromax 90 compression golf ball to its 75 compression counterpart as well as the Srixon Q-Star which is my most frequent gamer. I will be trying to compare sidespin, distance, greenside control, and feel off of the putter.

I am very excited to put these balls through their paces and see what they can do for my game. I really like the looks of these things and think they will really standout on the course, especially in the sunshine. I hope everyone is ready to ask plenty of questions and I hope to be able to answer them for you.

First thing I did after taking the Chromax Distance balls out of the package was chip, pitch and putt with them. This was in my yard, so I wasn't looking at spin or greenside performance. Instead, I was trying to get a feeling for how they felt and sounded off a wedge and putter. I also got a quick look at how they showed up in the grass.

Wedges

I probably hit about 75 chips and pitches this afternoon. I did compare the Chromax ball against some other balls so I could get a good feel for how they compared when it came to sound/feel off the wedge. The other balls I hit were my normal gamer balls - the Z-Star and e6.

In all honesty, I'm not 100% sure I'd be able to tell the difference definitively if you blindfolded me, but here's what I think I felt and heard. It seemed as if all three were very similar when I hit the ball in the center of the face. Just the normal soft click I expect coming off my wedges. If I hit the ball closer to the toe it seemed as if the Chromax was a little 'clickier' sounding than the Z-Star and pretty similar to the e6.

Visibility

I don't think any conclusions can be made from yard chipping, but I did take a couple pictures. It was an overcast day. Apologies for the sub-par pictures. I was using my cell phone here.

First pic is Z-Star on the left and Chromax on the right:
20121203_161919-L.jpg

Next pic is of the Chromax in the grass from farther away.
20121203_162041-L.jpg

Not bad at all and definitely an improvement over what I saw from the previous green Chromax balls.

Putter

Again, just trying to get an idea of how these balls sound coming off the putter face since I know that's something people do think about when it comes to ball choice. Personally, I've never really cared either way, but I do understand that everybody's different in that regard.

Again, putted with a few balls I play or have played to get a good handle on things. First thought was that the Chromax definitely has a distinct click to it. After comparing for about 30 minutes I did feel like it was the least "soft" out of the four balls, which also included the Z-Star, Q-Star, and e6. It wasn't very far from the e6 from what I could tell. I thought it sounded just fine and it was nothing that I would see as a negative - just worth noting.

Here are two videos, with both a milled and insert putter so you can get an idea of sound and how it compared to other balls.

[video=youtube;SO_jO2-9bFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO_jO2-9bFo[/video]

jeeze, looking forward to playing these. are you sure there aren't any neon lights in there, hawk? haha. sure are bright.

Wow, Hawk...killing it with the initial reviews! *takes notes*

Man that thing almost glows... I wonder how it would be in spring when the grass is really green.

Prepping ya'll for it now, one of my reviews will be on a lit par 3 course at night. I have a feeling this ball will be really really cool to watch under the bright lights.

That's a great idea, mward.

Very interesting Hawk...I might have to play some of these this winter. Which ones do you think would show up the best in winter conditions?? Any testers please feel free to answer as well!!

Hard for me to say yet, Nate. I am hoping to play tomorrow, so we'll see after I need to spot it from distance. I'm curious to hear how the Gold looks as well.

Nice start to the review Hawk!

The updated color is definitely an improvement as the previous color looked like something you would see at putt putt. Unsure what I was expecting but it is good to hear that there was not a ton of noticeable differences between this and the Z-Star, I feared this perhaps being a really firm and hard ball which gave that loud click on basically any shot.

Hawk, Am I seing a hex shape to the dimples? It looks that way in the photo. I wondering if these are easy to spot in the rough, the green that is. Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Awesome initial reviews hawk.... See that make me more excited and impatient for them to get here...

I love chromax balls in every way except the price
to me its still in the "novelty" ball category but i'd totally game them if they were cheaper
great review btw hawk

Nice start to the review Hawk!

The updated color is definitely an improvement as the previous color looked like something you would see at putt putt. Unsure what I was expecting but it is good to hear that there was not a ton of noticeable differences between this and the Z-Star, I feared this perhaps being a really firm and hard ball which gave that loud click on basically any shot.

On center strikes it didn't really seem much different to me, but we'll see if I still feel the same after getting some full swings on it. It did have a little more click off the putter.

Hawk, Am I seing a hex shape to the dimples? It looks that way in the photo. I wondering if these are easy to spot in the rough, the green that is. Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

In all honesty, I can't tell what's going on with the dimples. The translucent cover makes it very difficult. My impression is that they are round.

I love chromax balls in every way except the price
to me its still in the "novelty" ball category but i'd totally game them if they were cheaper
great review btw hawk

Thanks, Russ. Agreed on the price as well.

Great start to the testing thread Hawk, I am impressed with the "new" green and glad that the good folks at Chromax decided to go to the brighter one. I am deft enough that I really could not discern any appreciable difference in the sound of the balls off of the putter faces.

Loving the start you are giving to the Chromax testing Hawk. Looking forward to hearing all about this ball and getting started with my own testing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I can't wait for you all to get going as well. Should have a good variety of golf swings and opinions on these balls when it's all said and done.

I do believe I'm going to take a 1/2 day today and get myself on the course. Need to take advantage of the weather while I can.

Back