Chromax Distance - Forum Testing Review Thread

Great thoughts buddy.....looks real similar to what I saw with the balls I tested. I really think in firm conditions you could get the Chromax out there further, but the low launch and lack of spin really makes this ball rely on rollout for alot of it's distance, at least that's what I saw.

That's about what I figured towards the end as well. We don't really get rollout though so that's kind of a bummer. If I were Chromax, I'd probably re-configure the dimple pattern to get this ball to maximize carry. Roll is kind of a bonus.

Played 18 today in sunny and warm (for January) weather and put the Chromax that J4U gave me to a test. Off the tee it is longer and straighter than the other balls I have hit it against. It also played well off the irons but since the greens were frozen I was forced to bounce up all my approaches and didn't get to see how it would hold an approach at the pin. Around the greens is where I saw this ball fall well short. The hard feel of the cover prevented any touch on delicate shots around the greens and made putting an unpleasant nightmare. I choose a ball for feel around the greens and then factor in how it performs off the tee in both distance and side spin. For me, this ball only delivers on the opening part of the hole and fails when it matters the most.

I put the chromax in play again today off and on. I wanted to compare it to the sxiron and the callaway chrome (all balls were the yellow variant). Started out with a par 5 using the chromax and the results were very nice. 270 off the tee, then 220 second shot, pitched up and birdied the hole. Nice start with no warm up.
hole 2 with the chrome and loved th resulst with it. 3W tee shot with 110 left to the pin. Wedge to about 6ft. this ball just hit the green and stopped. have to tell you, glad it was not the chromax ball that I was hitting into this green. 2p for par.
Hole 3 was 103 yds to the pin, 56* (kbs tour shaft) with the chrome ball. Drew it in to the left edge of the green. Ball was less than a foot from its ball mark. Missed birdie put by about 2" hard down hill L/R breaker. Very happy with my par here.
Hole 4 was played with the chrome again. 3w to 140 then 8i in with a strong wind in our faceand an up hill lie. Second shot came up a short in the bunker. Good out of the bunker but long BY 12-15', made the putt coming back to save par.
Hole 5 was the last hole with the chrome. 140 to the pin over a pond. 8I to about 8'. Really excited aout this shot as I was the only one on. R/L break on the putt, but came up just short (2"), direcrtly in front ofthe hole.Wish I culd have rolled that one in.
Hole 6 and we are back with the chromax. Beautiful tee shot that was reallylong with the wind in our face. I don't recal how long the hole played, but I def out drove the entire group by quite a ways. Had about 115 left and the wind was going to play a factor with this approach. Played the ball to the left side of the green and was wanting the wind to bring it back, but I caught a branch on the tree just short left of the green. So hitting 3 from under the tree with a mound in between me and the green. No confidence from me here so I can only blame myself. Chunked the pitching wedge trying to keep it low. Hit the 56* to about 5" and 2 putted from there. First bad mark on the card, because I was thinking, as I was setting up over the ball, that I could not make this shot work with this ball. I had no confidence in pulling off he shot required there.
Hole 6 was the start of the down fall of a promising round. Par 5 into the wind with chromax. Pulled out the driver and the intent was a low L/R drive, just let the wind push this ball back to center. I was not looking at what was directly in front of us though. I hit it into a mound about 80yds out and it bound stright up for a total drive of about 140. So, next shot was to be a 3w to get within 150. I hit a nice beautiful draw to hold it into the wind, problem was that I drew it to much and into #8 fairway, so now I am 200 out, yes I drew it straight into the wind and it knocked it down, luckily, and I can't even see the grren because of the trees, not even sure where to aim, but I proceed to hit a beautiful shot over the trees with a nice high draw. After the 2 mile drive to get my playing partner and then to the green, I find that I had hit a good blind shot, but I am 15yds left ofthe green. I had a small tree between me and the flag so I was going to hit a punch shot to short of the green and let it roll on and down to the flag. I hit the shot that I was trying, landright where I wanted and rolled on like I wanted, the only problem was it never stopped rolling. I had landed it short of the green to let the long grass kill any speed on it, but it never stopped until it was over the green, down the hill, and in the creek. Absolutely killed me. I really could not believe what had just happened. I was walking up on the green thinking I had played this hole like crap, but I had scrambled to possibly save par and then I get on the green and dont see the ball, Completely amazed by what had just happened. It kind of destroyed the rest of my round.Hole 8 I hooked my drive into the fairway bunker, hybrid to just left of the green, chipeed up and 2 putted for bogey.
Hole 9 has a creek that runs L/R across the fairway, but it is kind of strange. The creek starts about 100yards out on the left and cuts (staight away viewed from the tee box) to about 240yds. The fairway is actually stright, but the hole is off to the left. I was trying to play a slight draw, but was trying to be careful. I played just to the left edge of the creek hoping to draw it back to the green. I got crossed up and put a slight fade on the ball, so it flew the fairway to never never land. I have officially lost a chromax ball now and water was not the culprit. Not a happy camper since we all thought it was actually in a very good position to go at the flag and come to find out that it was a lost ball. This actually affected my play on hole 10, said to say.
I played the back with sxiron and I can say that this ball is a better all around ball. And to be honest I really liked the callaway chrome the best.
To sum up my thoughts on the chromax ball, I believe this to be a decent winter ball but it is not good for your scoring. It can be played well from the tee box, but after that it becomes something (I believe) most golfers will have trouble with. This ball is hard to spin, thus it does not stop when it hits the green. From around the greens, chipping is an issue for me, as this ball runs out more than I am comfortable with. Then when you finally do get on the green, this ball putts like a marble. It is very hard and not very responsive with the putter. I will say that I have had my best scoring round ever with this ball in play, but he greens that day were extreeemmmeeely soft.
I really did enjoy testing this ball and wish I could have put in more time during the testing period. I wanted to put these into play today because I had found some more brands in high visibility yellow. Just my curiosity to compare them. I will ghazme these again for the next few weeks just for fun. I will continue to leave feed back after every round if any one is interseted. I will say that when I broke out the chromax at the course today, one of my playing partners actually knew what I had. He was quite curious about the ball and of THP. We maay have a new member soon.

Played a couple holes with the Chromax today. As usual with people seeing these for the first time, wondered what the heck they were. I put it up against the orange 50/50 Elite and it fell short by a good 20 yards. With it being warmer I thought these would step up and the lower compression 50's would mash up a bit. It was in the upper 50's when I was playing it, so maybe needs a few more degrees warmer? Don't know.

Putting feel is the same with the SeeMore as it was with the Odyssey...too hard and clicky for my taste.

Here is one of the drives on a par 5. Had to circle the 50/50 since it is hard to see:
Spoiler
IMAG1026.jpg

Played a couple holes with the Chromax today. As usual with people seeing these for the first time, wondered what the heck they were. I put it up against the orange 50/50 Elite and it fell short by a good 20 yards. With it being warmer I thought these would step up and the lower compression 50's would mash up a bit. It was in the upper 50's when I was playing it, so maybe needs a few more degrees warmer? Don't know.

Putting feel is the same with the SeeMore as it was with the Odyssey...too hard and clicky for my taste.

Here is one of the drives on a par 5. Had to circle the 50/50 since it is hard to see:
Spoiler
IMAG1026.jpg
That is quite a big difference in length there. I saw similar results Sunday, but nothing like that. And I still dont like them on or around the green. It may be me, but they just don't cut it in the scorinng area.

That is quite a big difference in length there. I saw similar results Sunday, but nothing like that. And I still dont like them on or around the green. It may be me, but they just don't cut it in the scorinng area.

I actually thought the Chromas was going to blow past the other. Even one of the guys that was watching commented on how it looked like the Chromax climbed in mid flight. I noticed it as well, kinda like those wiffle ball tosses that seem to get a second lift. There was a 15mph wind today with gusts to 20 or so, maybe it caught a burst mid flight?

Was surprised to see that it didn't fare as good as the other.

So I've been playing with these for a few months now, and I still haven't lost one of the 6 balls that were sent to me.

The horrendous bright looking color helped me locate them in the winter fairways, as well as the leaves that were present on the course.

I had a hard time sticking this ball to a hard green and often lost my ball to the fringe, this is one of the downfalls that I saw from this ball. Another was the amount of wear I saw from normal use, just from the sand bunkers and conforming grooves, I saw lots of cover scratches, over all the launch was a bit higher than I'm used to, and the distance that I gained with these over my softer counterparts was quite significant, there have been several times that I pulled a 7 iron for 150 yard shot and over shot the green, like I've mentioned before, the green side spin was virtually inexistent which cost me some scores, but the distance made up for it. Thanks again chromax golf and THP !

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

That is just insane. Zero balls lost!

I haven't lost any either Mr Satchmo, I did give 3 away for folks to try out. I don't know if any of them have lost their's or not.

Chromax Distance - Forum Testing Review Thread

That is just insane. Zero balls lost!

Yeah it's crazy, I've never done that before, even when I miss Into the rough, or the desert, the ball are so absurdly bright that I can find them in the bushes or the Ditches, not sure how they'll hold up though once the shrubbery starts growing back really thick

Plus they're so damn straight, that the misses are quite rare

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

DawgDaddy with the unloseable balls as well. Nice!

Satchmo, I agree that they want to go straight.

I haven't lost any either Mr Satchmo, I did give 3 away for folks to try out. I don't know if any of them have lost their's or not.

Ditto, they just stand out big time. I too have given 4 of them out for others to have a go with. I'm waiting on warm weather to put them back in play myself. I still see them every time I open up my bag though. Even if they are a couple rows deep in the well...they shout at you.

I lost 1 after it bounced off a tree into a lake. That was my only one. I gave my dad a sleeve a month ago and he loved them. Full club longer for him and he had no trouble hitting them straight and finding them.

Back