Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Nice pics Cookie! Hope mine is delivered today as well. Kinda makes me want to ditch work for the afternoon to wait... I'll be back when I get a second with my bio writeup.

Originally written 10/11/12. I've since seen what we are testing but am glad that I wrote this before as I want to be as transparent as possible in this testing.

I wanted to post a little bit of background information about myself to kind of preface the testing in this thread. I have yet to see the mystery wedge, so this is all just preamble.

I've been golfing seriously for a few years now. When I started, I thought that all you needed were the wedges that came with your set, and maybe a sand wedge if your set didn't have one. I had no inkling about the loft of these clubs, and was certainly a novice at using them. As I started to become more serious and play with some more advanced players, I started to notice that many of them were carrying what looked to be non-set wedges.

So I started asking questions. This invariably led to me going out and picking up my first non-set wedges. First a CG14 60* lob wedge as my set had a "SW", followed by a 56* CG14. I quickly fell in love with both of them, but mostly the 60 for the shots that I could pull off out of the rough. It was fun to play with but my success rate was what you would expect out of a beginner. Sand was clearly and issue for me at this point.

At the beginning of last year, I was fitted for a set of CG16 irons. Since the PW was so strong lofted, my fitter had me order a 48* CG16 wedge to go with them. At this point he bent m 56* to 54*, to halve the gap between the 48 & 60. I played on like this for the year. I still struggled mightily out of the sand. I also developed a strong preference for my 60*. I would use it for everything inside of 70 or so yards. Chips, lobs, pitches, whatever. While I was able to pull off some remarkable shots with it, I still skulled a lot of shots, ending up with some... interesting results. FWIW, there was also a period in this year that I flirted with a Callaway JAWS wedge, but it just didn't agree with me. Gave to a friend.

So after the season wound down a little last year, I decided that I wanted to simplify my game and take as many full swings as possible. So I set off to my fitter to get the matching CG16 52, 56 & 60 (reg flex). This did simplify things for me from an approach standpoint. I now had a club for every distance! 130ish = PW, 120ish = 48*, 100-110 = 52*, 80-90=56* and 70 & in = 60*. I will say that where my game was at the time, this made good sense and certainly simplified things for me on approach shots. I spent all offseason playing this way. I still relied heavily on my 60* around the greens, and I still payed for it with skulled shots that cost me strokes (and might have put some of my playing partners in danger). I also still stuggled out of the sand.

Enter spring of this year. I made two decisions this spring. The first was to get lessons, which was a major undertaking as we changed some significant things in my swing. The second was to bench my 60* as I was tired of skulling shots. Both of these decisions payed off. My swing started to come around, and I was now able to reliably hit a FW off the deck. With the vacant spot left by the 60, I was able to add another. This helped me out on short par 4s and par 5s. I spent a lot of time working on my short game with the 56 & 52. Took a short game lesson. Man what a change. No more thinned shots, and I was able to become a reasonably decent bunker player. This has continued on through this year. As the year wore on, I started practicing more partial shots though and have more variety of where I'm willing to lay up to. I'm very comfortable with partial swings now and it actually influenced a recent purchase...

As far as clubs are concerned, I actually liked the CG16s. They're easy to hit on full swings and pretty forgiving for a wedge. They were perfect for what I needed when I had them in the bag. Towards the end of this summer, I bit on some of the MC hype and purchased a 56* J40 wedge. The performance talk was nice, but I was admittedly drawn in by the looks as well. I love the classic shape and the understated graphic on the back. I took it out after having it extended and was immediately smitten. Don't know if it was the variable bounce sole, but it just worked for me. I was able to pull off all the shots that I ever was with the 60*, and it was a breeze in the sand. Great overall wedge. Liked it so much that I decided to get another one. Decided to go 52 bent to 50* and pull the 48* from the bag. I did this because I wanted to force myself to be more creative and take more partial shots. So far it's worked out great. My current layup target is ~100. However I don't have to be right on it as it's not the end of the world if I'm a little farther or shorter. I've said it before, but it will be a tall order for any wedge to knock my J40s out of the bag.

Anyways, I still have both my J40s and the CG16s. So I'll do my best to get some initial comparisons against both for everyone. Hope this wasn't too much of a ramble post. Can't wait to get started!

I love the looks of Cleveland Wedges. I think they make the best looking face in the industry.. I can't seem to work them though because they seem "long" to me even though the shaft is only a bit longer than my Callaways. The weight of the head is also a bit odd to me, but I guess these are things that can be adapted to with time - and I can actually see the weight as being a benefit since it would allow for my consistent swings in my mind.

Now I can't wait to get home! Hopefully something will be waiting at the door. I stopped myself from opening Cookies spoiler, I want to be surprised.

Great looking wedge! I'm curious to see the write-ups on these as I have a CG-12 in the bag now and will be getting new wedges during the off-season.

I love the looks of Cleveland Wedges. I think they make the best looking face in the industry.. I can't seem to work them though because they seem "long" to me even though the shaft is only a bit longer than my Callaways. The weight of the head is also a bit odd to me, but I guess these are things that can be adapted to with time - and I can actually see the weight as being a benefit since it would allow for my consistent swings in my mind.

Agreed on the face. That's interesting that they seem long to you. Their length seems to be standard, though it wouldn't be too hard to shave .5" off. I usually add .5" to my wedges, so they match my irons. However, I'm going to hold off on these for a while as I want to play them with the stock grip for a bit.

Now I can't wait to get home! Hopefully something will be waiting at the door. I stopped myself from opening Cookies spoiler, I want to be surprised.

I can't either. I did look at the spoiler, couldn't help myself. You should be excited. I know I am. :D

Since you guys werent sure what you were getting, I am wondering if they sent out wedges with different finishes?

That looks great cookie i like the fact that they are hefty. it really intrigues me as i like heavier wedges. i hope to see them soon in person.

I really love the way this new Cleveland wedge looks!

These pics are great Cookie. Props to Cleveland for customizing your name on the hosel. I'll be interested to see your thoughts on them vs the J40 and SCOR. Also interested to see how the dark finish wears

Looking forward to the reviews on this wedge.

I know I am not an official tester, but I picked up a 54 and 58 in the black pearl. If its cool with the testers, Ill throw some pictures up and initial thoughts after my first round with them tonight.

sweet looking wedge cookie, like the added customization touch

Since you guys werent sure what you were getting, I am wondering if they sent out wedges with different finishes?

Good question, looking forward to the other testers getting theirs so we can find out!

I am glad I got the black pearl finish so I can adequately compare the finishes as it wears against the black oxide. I would assume that the black pearl finish will rust like the J40 black oxide does.

That is a gorgeous wedge cookie. Lots of THP'ers just went into new wedge ponder mode.

Good question, looking forward to the other testers getting theirs so we can find out!

I am glad I got the black pearl finish so I can adequately compare the finishes as it wears against the black oxide. I would assume that the black pearl finish will rust like the J40 black oxide does.

If it's like the rest of the Cleveland line, then they are not supposed to rust. In my experience the J40 black oxide finish is a little darker and wore much quicker. My CG16s are BP too so I'll have some good wear pics for us to compare with.

I know I am not an official tester, but I picked up a 54 and 58 in the black pearl. If its cool with the testers, Ill throw some pictures up and initial thoughts after my first round with them tonight.

Dude. The more the merrier. It's all about good information. I'm sure the other testers would agree with me. Congrats on the new sticks BTW!

I could be wrong but I dont think Cleveland does the rust thing on its black pearl. I know Ive had that finish before and it was a non rusting type.

Absolutely man, would love to have as much feedback and photos as you are willing to help out with!

Great looking club there Cookie! I've never played the black wedge but this really has me interested. Will be following!

Nice write-up JonD!

Good info on the non-rusting of the black pearl, I was not aware of that. Guess I can just pay attention to the wear in the hitting area versus the rest of the finish.

Feel free to post your thoughts, pictures and keep coming back with updates. Its always good to have someones perspective who bought the wedges versus those who were given them for testing. Some say it produces different thoughts and influences.

I believe it will wear a good bit, but not rust.

Edit: And apparently Im not the first to post that though.

Played a quick 9 tonight and only used the 54* twice. So far I am liking the weight of these wedges. I snapped a quick pic.

DSCN9623.jpg

Those wedges definitely look sharp in there Bogey. I guess if you only got to use it twice thats a good thing because that means you were hitting some GIRs!

Do they rip the cover off of balls?

Back