Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Well done Ryan. I had a feeling that this club, and better yet, this series, would be ideal for you. It's nice to know that there are options out there that can be immediately rewarding to golfers. I'd still love to see what the 3wood and driver can do for you :)

Nice review Hawk. Interesting that you just compare it to other 5 woods. I wonder how the distance compares to your normal driver, your normal 3 wood, etc. I'm disappointed Cleveland only offers it in 3, 5, 7 wood; wish they made a 4 wood available.

Great review! This line's lightness continues to amaze me every time I hear about it. I'm glad that it is helping you maintain a fast swing, and this entire line seems ideal for a lot of people!

Solid review Ryan! The tagline of "Be Long Again" is obviously holding very true with your experience. To be honest, when I saw the numbers you provided I thought it was with the 3 wood and then when I realized it was with the 5 wood, I was in shock.

This is easily one of the best looking clubs on the market and Cleveland product development has done a GREAT job of coming up with a solution for more "average" golfers so to speak that don't often get above 100 or so with the SS.

This will be mine! Hit this yesterday great. I was outdriving my driver with this beast.

Nice review Hawk. Interesting that you just compare it to other 5 woods. I wonder how the distance compares to your normal driver, your normal 3 wood, etc. I'm disappointed Cleveland only offers it in 3, 5, 7 wood; wish they made a 4 wood available.

I haven't profiled it against my current 3W, but I did for the driver and it was longer. Keep in mind I have serious backspin issues with the driver, so I lose a ton of distance with it. Is there a reason you'd prefer the 4W? If it's for trajectory, I'd still recommend trying the 16° 3w since these seem to be very easy to get airborne.

This will be mine! Hit this yesterday great. I was outdriving my driver with this beast.

That's pretty awesome. Doesn't surprise me at all.

I haven't profiled it against my current 3W, but I did for the driver and it was longer. Keep in mind I have serious backspin issues with the driver, so I lose a ton of distance with it. Is there a reason you'd prefer the 4W? If it's for trajectory, I'd still recommend trying the 16° 3w since these seem to be very easy to get airborne.

Thx for the followup & link, sounds like TC might be right on in his statement for you trying out the bigger sticks too. I game a 4 wood in place of a 3 & 5 wood. I will have to give it a test come spring. I'd take a consistent 220 out of a 5w anyday.

Last edited:

He hit this well yesterday. I only took one swing and I pulled it.

Nice job Ryan, reading this review I kept imagining spots on my course where the 3 and 5w could certainly help me reach desired spots safely. I can't wait to give these a workout.

Great review. Is anyone else educating the people at their local retailers about who these clubs are for?

Ready, Aim, (Kindle) FIRE!

Great review Hawk! I am anxious to get this ona moniter and compare it against my current 4 wood.

Great review Hawk! Put together to looks + the results that are being seen, and Cleveland has put together a very solid line!

Great thoughts hawk, glad these fit your game.

Great thoughts hawk, glad these fit your game.

I think that's the big thing here and hopefully I was able to get that point across. This line isn't going to be great for a number of people out there, but I think it really was well designed for it's target audience.

I think that's the big thing here and hopefully I was able to get that point across. This line isn't going to be great for a number of people out there, but I think it really was well designed for it's target audience.

that's exactly what i took from your write up. I know this line isn't good for me, but that's ok, as I imagine it's targeted at a massive percentage of amateur golfers.

You really need to figure out how to get the 3wood and the driver for yourself man.

Great review. Is anyone else educating the people at their local retailers about who these clubs are for?

Ready, Aim, (Kindle) FIRE!

From what I've seen locally, there are not many lower lofted/stiff flex options. I'm seeing tons of regular flex and the higher lofted clubs, which tells me that retailers are catering to a specific audience. This could be a local thing though.

Digging the feedback on the Black series. I know it doesnt fit that great to me but I would love to hit this bad boy!

I didn't see a whole lot of stiff flex options either at PGA SS.

Nice! I think this was also made with me in mind and I can't wait to have the chance to hit it. I think I want the entire line of Cleveland Black woods! Do they make a 7? hahaha

Any chance that we can get a front view of this with a ball next to it to get a better idea of how tall this thing is?

They do make a 7, Smallie!

I will try to remember to take a pic at that angle tonight for you.

Thanks Hawk.

I definitely think you got that point across very well Ryan. Excellent job IMO.

Its is one sessy looking club for sure.

Ryan,
Cleveland says that the Black series of fairways and drivers have a draw bias design. Did you notice this, in comparison to FL series and/or other fairways you have hit ?

Back