Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood Review

It is in the bag atm, but I haven't really put them up against each other on the monitor. I'd really like to try 3w vs 3w.

Sent via Tapatalk

It is in the bag atm, but I haven't really put them up against each other on the monitor. I'd really like to try 3w vs 3w.

Sent via Tapatalk

I would like to see that too, but dude, the numbers the Black was producing from a 19* head for you, you should go straight to the 15* 3wood. Man, you'd have some bombers at the top of your bag. Have you considered going that route?

I would like to see that too, but dude, the numbers the Black was producing from a 19* head for you, you should go straight to the 15* 3wood. Man, you'd have some bombers at the top of your bag. Have you considered going that route?

I think that's what I'd do in a perfect set up. I tend to use the fairway woods in place of the driver more than anything, so I'm really looking mostly for performance - distance and accuracy - off the tee. I need to get the FL and the Black 5W on the monitor, but I'm busy with other stuff and determining what actually goes in my own bag is sort of taking a back seat right now lol. I'd really like to see what a combo of the Black 3W and Mashie fwy wood did for the top end of my bag.

I think that's what I'd do in a perfect set up. I tend to use the fairway woods in place of the driver more than anything, so I'm really looking mostly for performance - distance and accuracy - off the tee. I need to get the FL and the Black 5W on the monitor, but I'm busy with other stuff and determining what actually goes in my own bag is sort of taking a back seat right now lol. I'd really like to see what a combo of the Black 3W and Mashie fwy wood did for the top end of my bag.

I just think it's important to compare same lofted clubs. I know your black is 19* and your FL is 17*, so I don't know how you might want to gauge that. I like where your mind is though dude. 15* Black and a 17/18* Mashie FW would give you distance and some unparalleled accuracy. Man, I love pondering stuff. I'm almost certain that the Black series isn't going to be good for me so I'm really anticipating trying the Mashie FW.

I just think it's important to compare same lofted clubs. I know your black is 19* and your FL is 17*, so I don't know how you might want to gauge that. I like where your mind is though dude. 15* Black and a 17/18* Mashie FW would give you distance and some unparalleled accuracy. Man, I love pondering stuff. I'm almost certain that the Black series isn't going to be good for me so I'm really anticipating trying the Mashie FW.

I'm with you on that ponder.

I am going to be surprised if a Black driver, 3W and 5W (and maybe a 7W) are not in a lot of THPers bags next year.

I believe the Black 3W is 16*

Sent via Tapatalk

Dude I hit the 3W a ton this weekend. It is better than the FL

Dude I hit the 3W a ton this weekend. It is better than the FL

You know my pocket book hates it when folks say things like this...but secretly I love it. I have hit this club and really enjoyed it but I didn't have the time to compare it against anything.

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I needed to hear that haha.

Haha time to pull the trigger man.

Can't wait to put some swings on one soon.

CG Black Fairway woods

CG Black Fairway woods

I have the Black driver on order, will be here Wed, was looking for a new 3 wood. I have been trying all the new 3 woods, RBZ, R11S, Fast12, Nike VR S and several more. Some were OK and some I didn't like but I didn't really find anything that jumped out as "must have". I couldn't find any CG black fairways locally both GG and Dick's said they weren't released yet, HA.

I really wanted to try them, as I loved the Black driver, well yesterday I found them at a local golf shop, attached to a driving range, that I buy a lot of my clubs from. I don't know why I didn't check with them first. Hit the 3 wood and really liked it, very easy to hit and the ball just jumps off the face with very high flight. When I tested the Black driver it felt best with the stiff shaft, even though my ss is only 88-90. I ordered the driver with a stiff shaft but the 3 wood felt best with the reg shaft. The 3 wood went into the bag immediately.

I played with a 5 wood for years but the last few years I used different Hybrids instead of the 5 wood, supposed to be the way to go. I never felt as comfortable with the Hybrid as I did with the 5 so while I was demoing the 3 I tried the Black 5 wood. This club is almost unbelievable and should be in the bag of anyone that even considers using a 5 wood. I had to get this and kick the Hybrid out of my bag.

I played my first round with these today, on a fairly demanding course and couldn't be happier. I hit some really great shots with these today and just felt very comfortable and full of confidence when hitting them. Great clubs and I can't wait for my driver to get here. Cleveland has a real winner with the Black lineup, for those of us that don't have the high swing speed anymore.

Earl

I know there is a long thread about the Black driver and the fairways are mentioned in it but I thought they deserved their own thread.

I have the Black driver on order, will be here Wed, was looking for a new 3 wood. I have been trying all the new 3 woods, RBZ, R11S, Fast12, Nike VR S and several more. Some were OK and I some didn't like but I didn't really find anything that jumped out as have to have. I couldn't find any CG black fairways locally both GG and Dick's said they weren't released yet, HA.

I really wanted to try them, as I loved the Black driver, well yesterday I found them at a local golf shop, attached to a driving range, that I buy a lot of my clubs from. I don't know why I didn't check with them first. Hit the 3 wood and really liked it, very easy to hit and the ball just jumps off the face with very high flight. When I tested the Black driver it felt best with the stiff shaft, even though my ss is only 88-90. I ordered the driver with a stiff shaft but the 3 wood felt best with the reg shaft. The 3 wood went into the bag immediately.

I played with a 5 wood for years but the last few years I used different Hybrids instead of the 5 wood, supposed to be the way to go. I never felt as comfortable with the Hybrid as I did with the 5 so while I was demoing the 3 I tried the Black 5 wood. This club is almost unbelievable and should be in the bag of anyone that even considers using a 5 wood. I had to get this and kick the Hybrid out of my bag.

I played my first round with these today, on a fairly demanding course and couldn't be happier. I hit some really great shots with these today and just felt very comfortable and full of confidence when hitting them. Great clubs and I can't wait for my driver to get here. Cleveland has a real winner with the Black lineup, for those of us that don't have the high swing speed anymore.

Earl

glad to hear you found a winner with your new 3W...congrats!

Nice review. Those really are sharp looking clubs. Love the black.

Just a further update, for those that may be on the fence about these. I have had some more time with these and was able to do some direct comparisons with my previous clubs. I had the Callaway FTiZ 15* 3 wood and liked it fairly well, off the tee it was great but from the fairway it would cost me some strokes sometimes. Which is why I was looking for something new.

I hit lots of shots comparing the two and the Black was not only much easier to hit from the fairway it was about 10 yards longer than the iZ. The dispersion pattern from the fairway was amazing with the Black, even shots not struck that well stayed in play and didn't lose much distance.

My other club I replaced was the Mizzuno MP-CLK 17* Hybrid. I found the Black 5 wood much easier to control than the Mizzy. The only place the hybrid had an advantage was in deep rough. I could still gouge the ball out with the hybrid but not so much with the 5 wood. The Black is 19* and is about 5 yards longer than the 17* hybrid with a higher ball flight that comes down and lands very softly.

I continue to be amazed at the performance of these clubs and highly recommend that anyone thinking about new fairway woods should check these out.

Earl

I have been killing this 3W with a very predictable fade. I am actually hitting it better out of the fairway than the F3, and longer too. Plus, it really does hit bombs off of the tee.

Anyone hit the 7 wood? I am pondering going completely CG Black for woods. Driver, 3, 5, and 7 wood would look awesome in my 2nd bag with my ta7 gunmetal irons. I bet it is a high launcher.

Back