Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I only hit two drives with my Classic yesterday, one was bombed down the left side and the other was sliced left. I think I have to get used to thus driver again as I have been playing a razr x black with a completely different shaft feel...my swing has to readjust.

Tapping from my S3

Typically if I'm high on the face with a low tee height I'm cutting across the ball as well, but that's just me.

I do the same thing.

I find myself constantly fighting the urge to tee it high with this club. The face is so deep that it makes you think you really need to tee the ball high. In my experience, though, I tee it pretty low and still get a very nice trajectory. If it's too high, I feel like I hit under the ball, which usually results in a push and/or fade.

When I first got it I almost couldn't tee it high enough, but lately I need to keep it a little lower or I'm way too high on the face.

While I'm still tinkering with my set up, I think I'm getting closer to finding a tee height that works best for me. The last time out, I was teeing it up with about 1/4 - 1/3 of the ball above the face, which has taken some getting used to since I always had the ball sitting low with my G10.
Also, I noticed I wasn't following through well on my swing. After a little work in that area, I was getting improved results with my driver. Hopefully I can get to the range and get that grooved in before long.

When I first got it I almost couldn't tee it high enough, but lately I need to keep it a little lower or I'm way too high on the face.

This^

At first I had half to 3/4 of the ball above the crown. That went sour after a while and now the top of the ball at the same height as the top of the face is perfect for me.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Man, I have really come to love the deep face on this thing. Teeing up the ball with other drivers just feels odd now.

More out of curiosity, has anyone hit the 290 with the Kua 59 (no upcharge apparently)? I was pondering the 12 with a Kua, maybe in Reg but don't have anywhere to try it out.

I think Jeff Spicoli spent time with the 59 and posted some thoughts in here. He's pretty active in this thread, so I imagine he'd be willing to share his experience.

More out of curiosity, has anyone hit the 290 with the Kua 59 (no upcharge apparently)? I was pondering the 12 with a Kua, maybe in Reg but don't have anywhere to try it out.

I saw one the other day in town and thought it was a pretty cool option. I have not tried it but I bet it's a nice driver.

Man, I have really come to love the deep face on this thing. Teeing up the ball with other drivers just feels odd now.

The face of the Cleveland classic just looks like power personified

I do like the 59s as an option, since the flex code is 5674 vs. 8722(43s), 271 CPM and the torque of 3.5 vs. 4.5(43s) you would get distinctly different playing characteristics I think and gives you a option of finding one that worked for you without paying for the Kusala upgrade.

Last edited:
LOVE the look of my 290 that just arrived today. Had a chance to play 9 with it and only missed 1 fairway. Bombed it on my home course on a downhill par 5 and wound up with one of the longest 5 drives I've ever had on that hole! The 290 head with the Miyazaki black 61s shafted is amazing! The black 61s is as stable as any of my other x-flex shafts on a hard swing but doesn't REQUIRE that I swing it hard. I may have found the holy grail after a 30 year search!

The face of the Cleveland classic just looks like power personified

So, I know it's really early to be considering this, but if they continue the Classic next year (they'd be crazy not to) what could they possibly do to make it better?!?!

So, I know it's really early to be considering this, but if they continue the Classic next year (they'd be crazy not to) what could they possibly do to make it better?!?!

Adjustable.

Offer the 290 head with a square face.... but I'm nit picking!!

Hmmm, my 290 is square.

Yes, I have had it checked as well.

Did you mean 270?

Mine is square when I open it 1/2 degree ;-). I could have had a square one if one of their stock offerings fit me, but I didn't have the luxury of picking my Classic off the shelf. Had to have the perfectly shaped 290 head with the Kusala Black shat tipped 1". Easily my favorite driver. Now I have 16 drivers in the garage collecting dust!

The only place I was able to try it out with the 59 was at a Cleveland Demo Day. Other than that, I doubt you'll stumble across one just sitting on the shelf since while you can order it without an upcharge, the 43 is the stock option if that makes any sense . The 59 brought down my spin and launch angle, as it's stiffer in the mid-tip section than the 43. If you found that you were hitting it too high with the 43, the 59 could be the way to go. Here's a link to the Miyazaki website that explains the differences in their shafts. I think you can email them and ask what shaft they recommend for you as well.

www.miyazakigolfshafts.com/#/products

Fairway woods!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I think bringing the Classic head shape to market with the Kusala series as stock options would be really cool, but that's probably a stretch to expect.

I think bringing the Classic head shape to market with the Kusala series as stock options would be really cool, but that's probably a stretch to expect.

Especially when the Kusala series is a premium $250 shaft.

Tapping from my S3

No, I meant the 290. All of the 290 heads I've seen are slightly closed, as is the one I own. May be a blessing for me because squaring the face at address increases the loft to about 10*; and with the super low spinning Kusala black shaft and 9* head I have, higher loft is a good thing. The only other driver I have that has the nice flat, medium high, trajectory of this one is my Bridgestone J33R with a Diamana blue board X flex. The Kusala is better for me because it doesn't require that I swing it hard.

Did you mean 270?

I played my first round with the Classic 290 today and love the feel and sound of this thing. Absolutely amazing. I only had 2 bad drives but it was still in a playable position to make par. After a few holes I was able to feel out a swing that I can hit a high draw (my preferred ball flight) with. I think I'm gonna like the forgiveness the 290 offers too.

I went with a 9* head and a Rip Alpha 60x shaft. The Rip Alpha feels great and I can really get after it and the shaft feels like it is keeping up. My only concern after one round is that I am hitting it too high for my liking and not getting much to any rollout. So I'm not sure if I should have gone with a 7.5*. I was worried that I might not be hitting it high enough with this combo, but it's definitely not the case. I might just need more time with it to work it out. Overall, it was a good day with the Classic for the first time taking it out and I am looking forward to seeing how it performs down the road.

Thanks for the responses on the 59. I don't want to thread jack here, but this is the one club that I would want to own if it wasn't for some recent obstacles that have really affected my golf budget.

I played all last year w/ the G15 in the stock Reg but the dispersion was all over the place. Part of that was my swing, but at the stock length I wasn't hitting the center of the club enough. This year I switched to the YSQ 65 in Stiff and cut it down to 45". It is supposed to be a high launch head so I thought the YSQ would be a good fit, and it is. I have hit the longest drives w/ this set-up, one GPS over 280 and another that seemed longer but did not GPS it. My average good drive with it is probably in the 230-240 range total with a good amount of roll out included. The long drives (less short?) are shots that seem to launch a little higher, but still roll out a good 40 yards, and start and stay just right of my target so I am guessing I am leaving the face slightly open. I am mostly a line drive hitter though. My stock shot is a small fade. Miss is a slice when I come over the top. I am trying to see those high but penetrating drives be the stock shot and not a random occurrence, and after a lot of reading on this thread, it seems like there should be a combination w the Classic that could achieve this..

So that is why my ponder is a 12 deg but I am hasty to try that w/ the 43S. I have a DST 12 deg for wet days w/ stock regular that I feel balloons and I get no run out, w/ good drives in the 220 range. It also sets up real closed, and that's why I am hesitant to spend $ re-shafting it. My miss is a pull left with it.

My only experience w a lightweight shaft was an Adams V3 4 hybrid w the stock Bassara. This thing went left and lefter for me.

It is all kind of moot since I don't have the cash right now, nor a place to try the club. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to provide all relevant info.

Back