Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I only hit my Classic twice today, but both were right where I like it. I'm extremely familiar with the course I was at today, so it's easy to gauge where I am distance-wise off the tee. I know there's a good chance it won't happen, but I'd easily game this driver another season. I liked the AMP quite a bit, but this one is easily the favorite of every one I've gamed since I started playing.

Have you hit the 290 at all? I think the 310 head is excellent and I am so glad you went 8.5 with the 61s buddy!!! Really pumped to hear that on course results were what we hoped.

I did hit the 290, I like the profile of the 310 much more. Not to mention miss hits with the 290 for me were much more punishing. My normal miss is a little off the toe. With the 290 the distance loss on those shots was more than those with the 310.

very good day with the classic. 9/11 fairways. Love this club.

picked up a 10.5 classic 290 c kua 43s with headcover in good condition on ebay for $75 shipped. Hit it for first time at range today. It went well, no problems, very solid club. Been using my cleveland xl 270 with a c kua 39s or my taylormade 8.5 super tri when I play, now will add the classic to the mix. The 43s for me feels about the same as the 39s just slightly stiffer. I am 67, drives usually max out at 260- 265 with a 90 % swing. The classic might be getting a little more roll, need to play it on the course to see where I am really at without a limited flight rangeball.

Last edited:
Good stuff uman. Keep us updated on how it works for you.

I did hit the 290, I like the profile of the 310 much more. Not to mention miss hits with the 290 for me were much more punishing. My normal miss is a little off the toe. With the 290 the distance loss on those shots was more than those with the 310.

It's funny that you say that, because I feel the same way.. Pretty backwards if I try and think about it, however it could have lots to do with the different shaft profiles.

Not much good to report today, thin tee balls all day, bad swings across the board, still hit fairways but miles to go on 2nd shots will bounce back next time

Played my first round with the 310 Classic. 8.5* with the Kusala 61s. It was a blast to game it. 9 of 12 off the tee with it. 3 misses were through the dog legs. Not bad just not in the short grass. Workability was something I didn't have with my Titleist 907d1. I hit two cutters of the tee today which I haven't had in a couple of years. I love the feel of the shaft, feeling the club head through the swing is just awesome. My thee shaft feels just stiff. Distance was decent maybe not as long as the Titleist but consistence and control win out. Looking forward to the next round with it.

Brother I could feel the joy last night when we were texting. I'm so happy for you that you have this set up and can work the ball now.

I only hit my Classic twice today, but both were right where I like it. I'm extremely familiar with the course I was at today, so it's easy to gauge where I am distance-wise off the tee. I know there's a good chance it won't happen, but I'd easily game this driver another season. I liked the AMP quite a bit, but this one is easily the favorite of every one I've gamed since I started playing.

This again, except I hit it on every par 4 and 5 today. Weather seemed to drop a chunk of yards early on, but still in good shape. Good tee shots were a big reason I played par 5's decently.

Been thumbing thru this thread, it doesn't seem like many went with the 270/39 setup?

Classic v TL 310

Classic v TL 310

I noticed your old post re the TL310. How did it compare to the classic 310 (assuming that's what you're referring to here) and the 290 here. I just purchased the TL310 mainly for the stock 59s shaft but I purchased it with the regular flex. All of my other drivers are stiff flex and I wanted to see if I could get more distance with the reg. However, this club appears to be much heavier than my other clubs, even my old Cleveland 460 Launcher.

I have read the launch angle is very low on the classic. Also, the TL 310 I purchased doesn't really have very defined or deep groves on the face. Is this normal and is this how they get it to be low spin?

Thanks

The grooves on drivers are there for aesthetic purposes only. They will not have an impact on spin (high or low).

The grooves on drivers are there for aesthetic purposes only. They will not have an impact on spin (high or low).

I think I have read you post this like 20 times in the last year or so. Do you think that people get so caught up with the grooves in wedges that they just automatically assume that grooves equals spin? I know it's off-topic of the driver, but I really just wonder.

I've been playing the Cleveland SL290 almost two years now and decided to try the Cleveland Classic 290. I was really surprised in the differences between these drivers. Since I bought a used Classic, I thought it had been shortened until I went to Clevelandgolf.com and read that the Classic shaft is 1/2" shorter than the SL290. I think that was a good move and that I will find the fairway a little more often because of that.

I was able to play the Classic today and must say that I think I'm going to love it as much if not more than the SL290. The feel is entirely different and the sound is a bit muted to me. I hit some long drives that I haven't seen in quite a while and it felt great. I only had one fade all day with most of my other shots being straight down the middle until I got a little pull happy late in the round.

Cleveland makes some great stuff. I'm sold on the Miyazaki shafts for my swing and I plan to stay with them for all my woods.

Last edited:
I've been playing the Cleveland SL290 almost two years now and decided to try the Cleveland Classic 290. I was really surprised in the differences between two drivers. Since I bought a used Classic, I thought it had been shortened until I went to Clevelandgolf.com and read that the Classic shaft is 1/2" shorter than the SL290. I think that was a good move and that I will find the fairway a little more often because of that.

I was able to play the Classic today and must say that I think I'm going to love it as much if not more than the SL290. The feel is entirely different and the sound is a bit muted to me. I hit some long drives that I haven't seen in quite a while and it felt great. I only had one fade all day with most of my other shots being straight down the middle until I got a little pull happy late in the round.

Cleveland makes some great stuff. I'm sold on the Miyazaki shafts for my swing and I plan to stay with them for all my woods.

I can promise you most of her drives were home runs! She is killing this thing and once the members at our new club see her hit it, they will be fighting for her in any scramble event posted.

Glad to read that you have a new driver that just flat out works KB. OG, most anyone would love to have KB as a scramble partner, I have enjoyed the ones we have played together, and yes we used most of her drives as you should well remember. That drive on 15 at the goat track was a bomb.

Glad to read that you have a new driver that just flat out works KB. OG, most anyone would love to have KB as a scramble partner, I have enjoyed the ones we have played together, and yes we used most of her drives as you should well remember. That drive on 15 at the goat track was a bomb.

I remember that one well as she almost drove the green which was an awesome poke. She was blowing my mind all day with her Classic. Just fricking unreal stuff. We have a par four, which you will get the pleasure of seeing one day soon, that plays like a par five for most all of our members. Even from the Ladies tees it's a monster. Her drive today on that hole left her 120 to the flag.

The Classic is a great club and I'm really glad to see KellyBo is loving it!

Took the Classic out for a spin today and hit it pretty well. 5/8 fairways hit that I used it on, which is pretty good for me. Only one bad one that I hooked but I blame that on having on too many layers and not feeling restricted on my swing. I had two errant tee shots that were headed for trouble but got a lucky kick off the trees to put it back in play; otherwise, it was long and straight.

I let my buddy hit my Classic and he crushed it. I think he is in serious ponder mode now. He kept on talking about how good smooth and solid the Classic feels. He was saying he would have never thought about trying a Cleveland driver; he only thought about them and wedges. Next time out, I'm going to let him use my backup Classic. Might have another convert on our hands.

I can promise you most of her drives were home runs! She is killing this thing and once the members at our new club see her hit it, they will be fighting for her in any scramble event posted.

LOL, let's don't get carried away! Remember my tee boxes are WAYYYYY up there compared to yours.

This driver is a blast to hit. I spent some time yesterday with it at a heated range. I hit 80 balls which is not normally what I do. But a few take always from that session. First off the distance is not even in the equation. This off season my focus is comfortable swings, and not standing on everything. So, here is what I experienced. Smooth tempo swings resulted in a soft draw. Launch angle seemed to be a higher than I expected, with the 8.5 I was seeing results closer what I expected our of a 10.5 which may be from the shaft. When I tried to go after it things got a little ugly. Snap hooks, which at this point I'm not sure if that's swing or shaft. I love being able to feel the loading and the ability to hit a left to right tee ball on demand so that is a huge plus. More testing and getting acquainted to happen this week

Not surprised to hear that you like it, Kelly! I liked the 290 as well, but it doesn't compare to how well I've done with the Classic.

This driver is a blast to hit. I spent some time yesterday with it at a heated range. I hit 80 balls which is not normally what I do. But a few take always from that session. First off the distance is not even in the equation. This off season my focus is comfortable swings, and not standing on everything. So, here is what I experienced. Smooth tempo swings resulted in a soft draw. Launch angle seemed to be a higher than I expected, with the 8.5 I was seeing results closer what I expected our of a 10.5 which may be from the shaft. When I tried to go after it things got a little ugly. Snap hooks, which at this point I'm not sure if that's swing or shaft. I love being able to feel the loading and the ability to hit a left to right tee ball on demand so that is a huge plus. More testing and getting acquainted to happen this week

so far so good then! Yeah I agree with you on the distance thing, really no point whatsoever looking at it now. Come golfiing season next year you will have this thing locked and loaded for action

Back