Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Still thinking the launch is too high?

Still thinking the launch is too high?

Yeah higher than my old d2 with rip, and this time of year that means all carry and 0 roll, curious more than anything, and if not, so be it ill work with 10 fairways hit a round any day

Yea dude. That number is pretty hard to ignore.

Hit 2 classics today

290 with kusala blue was money, 10 of 14 fairways and 2 misses were a few feet. Decent distance for not getting any roll, some in 230s and a few in 250 and one 260.

270 with 12* head and indigo shaft didn't work, skied a few and the closed face was no bueno for me.

Pondering what a 9.5 head with the kusala blue could do.

Man I love this driver, and would be estatic if chosen to represent them in the mc

Glad to see that it's working out for you. At this time of year anyways, I'll take carry all day over trying to rely on roll for distance.

Glad to see that it's working out for you. At this time of year anyways, I'll take carry all day over trying to rely on roll for distance.

Yeah its just been tough with the wind only carrying 225 to 230 but its straight, need to work on mid irons now

Hey guys looking for some opinions. I'm in a bit of quandry and I'd like to hear some thoughts before I spend any more money.

I retired my R9 SuperDeep two months ago for a Classic 270 10.5* with the standard stiff shaft. I love the classic but I really need to control my swing or It'll get away from me once in awhile. My thinking is that the shaft gets a little whippy on me when I cook it a little too much. When my swings not grooving I tend to get pretty armsy. I also thought that i was getting a little too much height on the ball. So, as my addiction got the better of me I went out and bought a 290 9.0* with a Kusala Black 61S shaft on ebay. I know not smart, changed too many parameters at one time. But it is what it is. The shaft is also an inch shorter than the 270 which I thought would be good for me. Turns out that I don't think I hit it as good as the 270. The trajectory ok but it may be a little too low but the distance isn't as good. The Kusala Black also feels too stiff for me.

So what to do next? I guess I should get on a launch monitor with both clubs but I'm thinking I need a different shaft for one of these heads. Not sure which head to go with or what shaft. Any thoughts of what to do or what not to do. Does anyone hit the 270 with a non stock shaft? Does anyone have a shaft laying around they want to sell?

I'm going to hit the 290 again tomorrow, I'll see how it goes.

Hey guys looking for some opinions. I'm in a bit of quandry and I'd like to hear some thoughts before I spend any more money.

I retired my R9 SuperDeep two months ago for a Classic 270 10.5* with the standard stiff shaft. I love the classic but I really need to control my swing or It'll get away from me once in awhile. My thinking is that the shaft gets a little whippy on me when I cook it a little too much. When my swings not grooving I tend to get pretty armsy. I also thought that i was getting a little too much height on the ball. So, as my addiction got the better of me I went out and bought a 290 9.0* with a Kusala Black 61S shaft on ebay. I know not smart, changed too many parameters at one time. But it is what it is. The shaft is also an inch shorter than the 270 which I thought would be good for me. Turns out that I don't think I hit it as good as the 270. The trajectory ok but it may be a little too low but the distance isn't as good. The Kusala Black also feels too stiff for me.

So what to do next? I guess I should get on a launch monitor with both clubs but I'm thinking I need a different shaft for one of these heads. Not sure which head to go with or what shaft. Any thoughts of what to do or what not to do. Does anyone hit the 270 with a non stock shaft? Does anyone have a shaft laying around they want to sell?

Best bet would to hit it on a monitor to see what your numbers are. Than go shaft pondering, I do have a Kusala Indigo and Silver depending on what your numbers are.

Those are definitely two different dirvers! I play the 290 in 10.5° and had an opportunity to hit a 9.0 290 with the Kusala Black (71s I think) as well. That was not a good combo for me.

If the lofts were the same on both heads, I'd tell you it probably doesn't matter which one you keep. There's only like 6 grams difference between the two heads. Outside getting an actual driver fitting, you are probably just going to stay in tinker land until you get lucky.

I've been loving the Classic I bought from Cookie. I hit it really well yesterday and it was longer than my 910D2. I love how deep the face is. I hit 7/9 FW's yesterday (a shorter course) and the two misses were only a couple yards off the FW. This thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon, it's earned a spot in my bag.

I've been loving the Classic I bought from Cookie. I hit it really well yesterday and it was longer than my 910D2. I love how deep the face is. I hit 7/9 FW's yesterday (a shorter course) and the two misses were only a couple yards off the FW. This thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon, it's earned a spot in my bag.

I thought you had a Classic that you sold? What did I miss? Does this new one have a different shaft?

I am really looking forward to the 2013 Classic coming out.....I want to give this a good session when it does.

I am really looking forward to the 2013 Classic coming out.....I want to give this a good session when it does.

You and me both, so mad I got into the classic game so late in the year, but would love to see how the New ones compare to this years fairway finders

You and me both, so mad I got into the classic game so late in the year, but would love to see how the New ones compare to this years fairway finders
I saw a sneak pic somewhere on the internet and if it looks like what I saw....man, wow!

I saw a sneak pic somewhere on the internet and if it looks like what I saw....man, wow!

Yeah same here, and if the adjustability rumors are true...oh my

Yep I sold the Classic with the CKua and bought one from Cookie with a Kusala Black 72S in it.

That is the combo I have. It is a beast! Glad it is treating you well!

Yeah same here, and if the adjustability rumors are true...oh my

It seems like they have to be true since the Miyasaki JDL shaft is made with no true spine this is only done with adjustability in mind.

Looks very nice and I heard that it is loooong.

That is the combo I have. It is a beast! Glad it is treating you well!

Yea I've enjoyed it so far. I have the 9* though. You have the 10.5 right? I need to get on a LM and get some numbers to see if the 9* is right for me. I'm liking the ball flight, but numbers don't lie and I'd love to know I have the right combo.

Played my first round with the 310 Classic. 8.5* with the Kusala 61s. It was a blast to game it. 9 of 12 off the tee with it. 3 misses were through the dog legs. Not bad just not in the short grass. Workability was something I didn't have with my Titleist 907d1. I hit two cutters of the tee today which I haven't had in a couple of years. I love the feel of the shaft, feeling the club head through the swing is just awesome. My thee shaft feels just stiff. Distance was decent maybe not as long as the Titleist but consistence and control win out. Looking forward to the next round with it.

Played my first round with the 310 Classic. 8.5* with the Kusala 61s. It was a blast to game it. 9 of 12 off the tee with it. 3 misses were through the dog legs. Not bad just not in the short grass. Workability was something I didn't have with my Titleist 907d1. I hit two cutters of the tee today which I haven't had in a couple of years. I love the feel of the shaft, feeling the club head through the swing is just awesome. My thee shaft feels just stiff. Distance was decent maybe not as long as the Titleist but consistence and control win out. Looking forward to the next round with it.

Great results, u think distance loss was maybe partially due to time of year? 75% faiways could make the game much easier!

Great results, u think distance loss was maybe partially due to time of year? 75% faiways could make the game much easier!

Could be some of it, but it wasn't enough for me to worry. It's a great feeling when the confidence starts to climb off the tee. I hit it on hole that I normally wouldn't just to hit it

Could be some of it, but it wasn't enough for me to worry. It's a great feeling when the confidence starts to climb off the tee. I hit it on hole that I normally wouldn't just to hit it

Yeah I do the same thing, if its straight and blows through dogleg, so be it

Yeah I do the same thing, if its straight and blows through dogleg, so be it
That was the masses today. I hit on off the toe early and got away with it. High drawing ball that made its way back to the fairway. I'd say I lost some distance obviously but it was no where as punishing as a miss with my Titleist

Have you hit the 290 at all? I think the 310 head is excellent and I am so glad you went 8.5 with the 61s buddy!!! Really pumped to hear that on course results were what we hoped.

Back