Cleveland Custom 588 Driver Preview Thread

Honesty here, I had no idea about either of you guys when I wrote that.

Which scares me more.

That is intriguing as hell.

It's been a awesome day for us finding out all kinds of great news about the equipment we will have a chance at down at the Morgan Cup. Man I hope I never wake up from this dream lol :)
All this dropping today in regards to the Cleveland 588 line just makes what happened to me yesterday seem even more like a dream.

Ryan Im going to have to come see you now that your getting this. I mean I would come see you anyways to just play golf with you lol..
Well, I don't have it in hand, but from what I'm reading - pretty much today's standard. Mid 60's shaft and a normal swing weight. On that note, I will have this on Thursday and we'll see what it's all about.

Plenty of adjustability options on this one. I look the looks of this one but they are gonna have to bring it to knock the Classic out of my bag.

Im not sure you ever tried my Z-Star driver, but if you did this comparison will make more sense. Take the Z-Star driver and add throw in some SuperTri looks and sound. I told the guy I was hitting it with that its like they took the X-Hot, Z-Star and SuperTri and took the best qualities of those 3 drivers and made this one.
Loved my Z-Star!!! Beat all other clubs I demoed on monitors at a demo day. Hmm. I might have to try this one!

The last two pages have just confirmed this will be on the must hit list. I need a new driver and Cleveland made the best I have used in the past. Man I need this in my hands.

Im not sure you ever tried my Z-Star driver, but if you did this comparison will make more sense. Take the Z-Star driver and add throw in some SuperTri looks and sound. I told the guy I was hitting it with that its like they took the X-Hot, Z-Star and SuperTri and took the best qualities of those 3 drivers and made this one.

This sounds like a driver I'll have to take a gander at this season. I couldn't hit the Z-Star to save my life in the golftown simulators when I did track one down so that was a sad time, but hopefully this driver can make something happen!

[edit] Especially since Cleveland always seems to issue mortal-priced clubs instead of some of the $450+ monsters that are out there. At the typical price point of Cleveland drivers for $330, I could almost sneak this club into my company's health/wellness spending account without as much as one extra bill out of my pocket.

When Cleveland releases a winner they wind up in thousands of bags due to their awesome price point. This one has my attention thats for sure.
The Classic was such a success because it was the first super low spin head that wasn't 400 bucks IMO.

If this bad boy is as good as the Classic, Classic XL or Custom... Cleveland has another winner!

If this bad boy is as good as the Classic, Classic XL or Custom... Cleveland has another winner!

Agreed, and I enjoyed both of those too!

That's nuts. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to get this one in the bag.

That's nuts. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to get this one in the bag.

This is going to sound weird, and perhaps a little creepy, and I only mean the latter of the two.
I thought about you when I was testing this one. I have watched you in the Morgan Cup off the tee (all the guys actually) and noticed what works and what doesnt because of your unique (and awesome) swing. Too much spin will give you fits, but too low spin will as well. I have a feeling that when you first get this, you are going to say "yeah its okay" and with in 3-4 rounds of using it, fall in love. Your miss (which I am guessing is high and right) and club face miss (high and right also) will both are extremely well with this one and I have a feeling you are going to pick up not only distance but accuracy as well.

This is going to sound weird, and perhaps a little creepy, and I only mean the latter of the two.
I thought about you when I was testing this one. I have watched you in the Morgan Cup off the tee (all the guys actually) and noticed what works and what doesnt because of your unique (and awesome) swing. Too much spin will give you fits, but too low spin will as well. I have a feeling that when you first get this, you are going to say "yeah its okay" and with in 3-4 rounds of using it, fall in love. Your miss (which I am guessing is high and right) and club face miss (high and right also) will both are extremely well with this one and I have a feeling you are going to pick up not only distance but accuracy as well.

Dude you are so spot on right now hahaha. I can't believe how you pegged me right there. You just keep throwing gas on the fire dude.

I may have to make a pre MC purchase after reading this....

Dude you are so spot on right now hahaha. I can't believe how you pegged me right there. You just keep throwing gas on the fire dude.

I only got to see a few drives, but could tell by the sound what was happening at impact. Based on that impact, I knew where the ball would go based on the other drivers you have played at the Morgan Cup. This will change that for you, but there will be an adjustment period (a very small one). I will go as far as saying if you stick with this one, it may in fact be a game changer for you.

And do not sleep on the standard shaft. Better than most and will fit most players. Spoke to them about the pairing and they are so high on the standard pairing for the majority of golfers.

I only got to see a few drives, but could tell by the sound what was happening at impact. Based on that impact, I knew where the ball would go based on the other drivers you have played at the Morgan Cup. This will change that for you, but there will be an adjustment period (a very small one). I will go as far as saying if you stick with this one, it may in fact be a game changer for you.

And do not sleep on the standard shaft. Better than most and will fit most players. Spoke to them about the pairing and they are so high on the standard pairing for the majority of golfers.

Welp, I'm sold. Now I need to figure out the rest of my MC bag between this and the Smart Square haha.

Any Idea what your thinking on the Irons? Im guessing Im going with the Mt's or the Altitudes unless they bring out another set. And I think it's going to be a must with the Smart Square Putter because it is just solid.
Welp, I'm sold. Now I need to figure out the rest of my MC bag between this and the Smart Square haha.

Lets keep this thread about the new driver guys. Thank you.

Tim is very unique. After playing with him on Sunday at the last MC I was totally expecting him to have the baseball draw/hook from his background. Many baseball players that play golf have issues with the hooks as a result of playing years and years of trying to pull the ball for power. Then they get this light "stick" in their hands and some of the greatest hooks I've ever seen have been hit. LOL!

Tim is opposite. It appears in my one round of playing that Tim likes to play the cutter. Maybe from his pitching days? He did miss a few on Sunday to the left (2nd hole tee shot, 4th and 5th hole tee shot) but your right, his miss tends to be to the right from his cut shot.

Can I ask you this JB.....at address, how does the club look to your eye? Closed, Open or Square?

Can I ask you this JB.....at address, how does the club look to your eye? Closed, Open or Square?

Honestly? Any way you want it to look since its adjustable. Going off of memory, I believe it can adjust face angle about 4.5* which should give someone any look they like.

Honestly? Any way you want it to look since its adjustable. Going off of memory, I believe it can adjust face angle about 4.5* which should give someone any look they like.

That provides tons of options! I haven't had a Cleveland driver since the Launcher in mid 2000's. Really want to try this one out.

Dang, that thing is stealth bomber sessy. Would love to hit this sucker.

Many baseball players that play golf have issues with the hooks as a result of playing years and years of trying to pull the ball for power. Then they get this light "stick" in their hands and some of the greatest hooks I've ever seen have been hit. LOL!
This is funny. I played college baseball, and when I drove the ball the best, it was to right-center. Now playing golf, I'm hook city and working on it.

One more month until this driver hits the stores (hopefully here). And I can't wait to give it some swings.

I would love to try this driver - love it based on looks alone, but after reading JB's take on it...can't wait to hear how everyone likes it.

This is funny. I played college baseball, and when I drove the ball the best, it was to right-center. Now playing golf, I'm hook city and working on it.

One more month until this driver hits the stores (hopefully here). And I can't wait to give it some swings.

Keep up the work!! I may wear out the PGA Superstore when this thing comes available. I'm going to have to come up with new reasons why I need to try it out again one more time.

Back