Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Been to the range, and I finally got to hit a Mashie. Unfortunately, the only had the M3 with regular flex shaft. But I wanted to hit one, so I grabbed it.

The flex is all wrong, the offset clubhead shouldn't look right, the shaft is too light for my usual preference and overall this is THE EASIEST GOLF CLUB I HAVE EVER HIT! I mean, I put some terrible swings on this thing, but couldn't get it to go more than a couple of yards off line. What is that all about? I put it up against a Ping Rapture V2, just to get a comparison. I shouldn't have bothered, there's no comparison. I need me the M2, and going by how well I hit the regular, the stiff flex should be plenty stout enough for my needs. wow. I think I'm sold.

Love these post. The Mashie is the truth and these kinds of post prove it. Nice stuff Paulo.

Been to the range, and I finally got to hit a Mashie. Unfortunately, the only had the M3 with regular flex shaft. But I wanted to hit one, so I grabbed it.

The flex is all wrong, the offset clubhead shouldn't look right, the shaft is too light for my usual preference and overall this is THE EASIEST GOLF CLUB I HAVE EVER HIT! I mean, I put some terrible swings on this thing, but couldn't get it to go more than a couple of yards off line. What is that all about? I put it up against a Ping Rapture V2, just to get a comparison. I shouldn't have bothered, there's no comparison. I need me the M2, and going by how well I hit the regular, the stiff flex should be plenty stout enough for my needs. wow. I think I'm sold.

I'm with OEM, great post Paulo!!!!

My old man played his first round with his M2 yesterday and hit it wonderfully.

Mine is not so durable. I'm already seeing loose threads

yeah im worried about these headcovers too. may try and order some extras - if i end up gaming this club for any length of time- the headcover could look atrocious in a year.

yeah im worried about these headcovers too. may try and order some extras - if i end up gaming this club for any length of time- the headcover could look atrocious in a year.

My headcovers are holding up really well and to this point I am seeing no wear. I like them, they are different than everything else out there and add some old school funk to the bag.

I am not having any problems with my headcovers either. The white is a little dirty, but that is it.

Tapatalk makes meetings so much fun.

Believe the hype.

I am currently getting new irons and FW woods (which I am posting about in another thread), but while at the store today I felt I had to try out the Mashies just to see what it was all about. I had tried the DST Hybrids and thought they were 'ok' but nothing special. I am also not crazy about the retro paint job or the headcovers.

But

I walked out today with the M4 and the M5. Reeeeeeallly nice Hybrids. They play almost club longer than my Bobby Jones hybrids and I didn't hit one bad shot with them- from the deck or the tee. Can't wait to get them on the course!

I must be the only one who has issues with this club. To me it is very closed at address and I have to make myself open it up or it goes left. Other than that I love the ball flight I get with it.

I must be the only one who has issues with this club. To me it is very closed at address and I have to make myself open it up or it goes left. Other than that I love the ball flight I get with it.

What's your ball placement like with it, Degoins? When I first started reviewing this I thought the same thing, but realized I was addressing the ball too far back in my stance and causing myself to close the face. Just food for thought.

I don't have much time, but I will say that today was an AWESOME Mashie day. Totally fell in love with this club all over again. I was feeling a little down on it lately, but I was killing the ball with it today. Beautiful ball flight. Bad news was that I was playing in 32° weather with 25 mph winds. In other words, I lost 2-4 clubs in distance around the board and it was very hard to hit a green. Obviously, hit this club a ton today because the distance sapping conditions. Didn't hit one bad shot with it and was able to keep my misses very playable. Loved the Mashie today!

Love these post. The Mashie is the truth and these kinds of post prove it. Nice stuff Paulo.

I'm with OEM, great post Paulo!!!!

My old man played his first round with his M2 yesterday and hit it wonderfully.

It's a sickness! I haven't even bagged an M2 yet and I'm already pondering an M3 to get rid of the Rapture, even though I hit that club fine! Argh! :D

Back to Golfsmith today with my daughter to supposedly test 3Ws. Place was packed so we couldn't get on a launch monitor. So today we mostly did what we did yesterday. Collected up the hybrids and she gave them all another run through, this time hitting into the nets so we saw a little more ball flight.

She tried. She really did. She tried so hard to hit the R11, the SF, the SF 2.0, and various Diablos better than the Mashies. She couldn't do it.

Walked out of there with an M2, an M3, and a M4 was ordered. $50 off over $250 so we saved on the two in hand. Then the guy rang up the one we had to order separately, and we saved $20 on that one. They're shipping it right to the house, no shipping charges. Should be here by Friday.

When she saw the headcovers, she squealed like a little girl. Which she is. She loved the headcovers as much as the clubs. Says they're both "old school".

She's expensive, but when I watch her swing it warms my heart.

She did hit 3Ws into the net, too, and we think we have that nailed down. She is going to have an awesome bag going into Summer.

Kevin

Good stuff Esox! I always enjoy your recaps from your experiences. J.L. is lucky to have an old man like you.

Glad she loves the Mashies, and the headcovers. The headcovers give me the same reactions as they do her.

Esox, you just might be father of the year if you keep that up! Way to go. Sounds like you two have a lot of fun together.:clapp:

Esox, you just might be father of the year if you keep that up! Way to go. Sounds like you two have a lot of fun together.:clapp:

Big Summer coming up for her. She has to have the tools to compete.

Kevin

I'm excited for your daughter Esox. She's a lucky gal to have a father like you. It's great to see an entire family love the game together. I can't wait to hear how she does with them on the course.

Esox,would you like to adopt an old man as a son??Lol

Believe the hype.

I am currently getting new irons and FW woods (which I am posting about in another thread), but while at the store today I felt I had to try out the Mashies just to see what it was all about. I had tried the DST Hybrids and thought they were 'ok' but nothing special. I am also not crazy about the retro paint job or the headcovers.

But

I walked out today with the M4 and the M5. Reeeeeeallly nice Hybrids. They play almost club longer than my Bobby Jones hybrids and I didn't hit one bad shot with them- from the deck or the tee. Can't wait to get them on the course!

Glad you tried and liked the TS.. I thought you would enjoy some Mashie love!!

You are the man Esox! I bet your heart just swells with pride watching her play golf.

I want a stocking cap that looks like that looks like the Mashie headcover.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

Had some Mashie love experience today during my round. 200 yd par 3 with the pin in the middle and bunkers in front with no trouble in the back. Steady 10-15 chilly wind behind me and I stuck a M4 shot to within 6' or so. Of course 2 putted from there for par but watching the Mashie shot just ride the wind.....hand on the air....and just drop down was such a cool thing to see. My buddy I played with today couldn't believe how straight and accurate a hybrid could be. Now he will be adding a M4 to his bag as well.

One thing I thought about today while playing was about how often I pull certain Mashies. I rarely pulled the M4 which is 185-190 for me while the M3 is 195-205 for me. I find myself pulling the M3 much more often and 'going for holes' that I should probably be playing to a number on or being a little smarter on. I found myself flushing the M3 quite a bit but it would leave me with an awkward number to the green whereas the M4 might have put me in a better spot by giving me an extra 5-10 yds top lay with.

Anyone else feeling overly confident with a Mashie as well?

Nice update Hanks. I pull the M1 without hesitation on short par 4's or tight holes where I cant trust driver or dont want to go OB. That and the M3 get the most love and I have no hesitation to use them.

I only have the M1 ( short amont of time ) , and I am ready for more mashie. I mostly use it off the tee and it has been money. I wish there was a mashie driver. I would call it the SMASHIE!

Tried a friend's today while out on the course and IT WAS SOOOOOO GOOD! Amazing feel off the club face and the launch was just beautiful! I must add (at least) one to my bag and I suggest everyone else to do the same!

I really want to hit one of these.

Played 18 today and on the front 9 I couldn't hit my hybrids to save my life, I realized what I was doing though, and from then on the Mashies were amazing. The M2 is just getting better and better.

Played 18 today and on the front 9 I couldn't hit my hybrids to save my life, I realized what I was doing though, and from then on the Mashies were amazing. The M2 is just getting better and better.

Good stuff CB. Mine didn't make it out of the bag in yesterdays round, bombs of the tee on the par 5's put me too close for the M2, the M4 ont he par 5's though? Thats a whole 'nother story unto itself lol.

MASHIE!!!

Sounds similar to my round today. When the Mashie is off it is ok (does not hurt too bad) when it is on, it is an awesome club!!

Back