Costco or Sam's Club and why

Costco, I hate going to Sams Club or Walmart. In fact I haven't been in a Walmart in probably 3 years. They are constantly packed with people who don't control their little kids, kids screaming and crying all the time and it must be a unwritten rule that you don't have to take a shower to shop at Walmart as the level of people who stink in that place is through the roof. I would much rather spend a little more money somewhere else than put myself through that mess all the time.

Because this never happens other places. Wow. Especially the not controlling their kids part. You NEVER see that anywhere else. I haven't noticed the stinking part any more than anywhere else. Perhaps I must be part of it since I don't notice it.

We go to Sam's, mostly because there is no other warehouse club in town. We don't get a whole lot there. The membership pays for itself in diapers and wet wipes for the 3 year old. Plus they have some good prices on DVD's, books, wine and spirits, and other things from time to time. With the new store that was just built it is closer and easier for us to get the non perishable items there (cat food, soaps, trash bags, etc.) than at a Target or Wal-Mart or K-Mart.

Because this never happens other places. Wow. Especially the not controlling their kids part. You NEVER see that anywhere else. I haven't noticed the stinking part any more than anywhere else. Perhaps I must be part of it since I don't notice it.

Well, hopefully you are not one of the stinky people in there. And no, I do not notice the screaming, crying kids as much anywhere else. Well there was 1 kid screaming/crying the other day at the Kohl's store which was probably the 1st time I saw that at the Kohl's store. The worst part is the parents just let the kid scream/cry like that and ignored them. It may be ok to do that at home, but when you are in a crowded store it is not, you need to keep your kids under control.

The Wal Marts out here are pretty bad too.
I do a lot of business with Costco but the Sams by me rocks, there is never anyone in there.

Ive got a Sam's Club membership. As much as Id prefer to buy from local businesses, you cant beat Sams Club's prices.
Nothing against Costco or any of the others, but the closest one is Sam's.

Like every store, it depends on the neighborhood. The lower income/lower education the surrounding community, the less appealing the stores usually are.

The Wal-Mart and Sam's that my parents go to are pretty nice.

The ones closer to me are less nice.

I've been to a few that were dumps.

513.jpg

512.jpg

509.jpg

Spoiler
506.jpg

425.jpg

I don't belong to any of them, but went to Costco with a friend recently. I think these stores are part of the reason over 60% of the population in the US is overweight or obese. Aside from people like Bonk with teenagers who play sports and eat a lot - who needs that much food.

I don't belong to any of them, but went to Costco with a friend recently. I think these stores are part of the reason over 60% of the population in the US is overweight or obese. Aside from people like Bonk with teenagers who play sports and eat a lot - who needs that much food.

People with freezers (deep freezers, not the ones that come with the refrigerator).

People with freezers (deep freezers, not the ones that come with the refrigerator).

Fair enough, but I was thinking more of the giant bags of chips or candy. Or the huge packages of danish or donuts.

Yep, Ive got a deep freezer I stock up with pork chops and tenderloins, chicken and tri tips. I buy the ground turkey a lot too. I pick up the big tub of garlic too. Plus all of the soap for the dishwasher and washing machine.
The only problem I have found is keeping the massive amount of cheese I get good. I just dont eat enough of it, but its still cheaper then the market.

Yep, Ive got a deep freezer I stock up with pork chops and tenderloins, chicken and tri tips. I buy the ground turkey a lot too. I pick up the big tub of garlic too. Plus all of the soap for the dishwasher and washing machine.
The only problem I have found is keeping the massive amount of cheese I get good. I just dont eat enough of it, but its still cheaper then the market.

Just cut off the parts that get moldy. That's how they age cheese anyway. Just because some of it is bad, doesn't mean it's all bad.

Just cut off the parts that get moldy. That's how they age cheese anyway. Just because some of it is bad, doesn't mean it's all bad.

That's not true. They have found that mold is throughout anything it's on. If you see it - throw the entire thing away.

That's not true. They have found that mold is throughout anything it's on. If you see it - throw the entire thing away.

I think you are wrong, Diane. I have cut the mold off cheese for years with no ill effects. If mold starts growing on the outside where it has light and oxygen, that does not mean those conditions exist in the middle of the cheese.

Nope, sorry.

I trim but on cheeses like cheddar it just spreads too quick. I can usually get a month and a half out of White cheddar loaf.

Intersting theory, but its a flawed one at best.

I think you are wrong, Diane. I have cut the mold off cheese for years with no ill effects. If mold starts growing on the outside where it has light and oxygen, that does not mean those conditions exist in the middle of the cheese.

Fair enough - eat what you want. I'm throwing it away.

Intersting theory, but its a flawed one at best.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion, but only if you back it up. Why do you think it's flawed? Or interesting for that matter?

I trim but on cheeses like cheddar it just spreads too quick. I can usually get a month and a half out of White cheddar loaf.

You could cut the loaf in half and freeze it. We keep our shredded cheese that we buy in the freezer.

Fair enough - eat what you want. I'm throwing it away.

If you only knew what goes on in packing plants. And it's not bad either, it's just not what most people expect.

You could cut the loaf in half and freeze it. We keep our shredded cheese that we buy in the freezer.

I could just eat it faster too. How does cheese freeze, you think it would absorb too much moisture.

I've never noticed a problem, although we eat our cheese loaves fast enough so we don't need to freeze it anyway. The shredded cheese that we use on pizzas doesn't seem to have any issues, and it's on the frozen pizzas anyway. When I worked for Pizza Hut in high school, they kept the cheese in the walk-in freezers.

Gasman - I'm not a big fan of frozen cheese, but I think it's fine if you're using it in something you're cooking. It doesn't taste the same on a cracker. If you are going to freeze it - make sure it's wrapped very tightly.

I've never noticed a problem, although we eat our cheese loaves fast enough so we don't need to freeze it anyway. The shredded cheese that we use on pizzas doesn't seem to have any issues, and it's on the frozen pizzas anyway. When I worked for Pizza Hut in high school, they kept the cheese in the walk-in freezers.

Hmm, interesting. Like I said, I dont eat enough cheese so I usually just pick that part up at the market because they are smaller. I just cant pass up the deals at costco.

I grew up in a Dutch house so we took our cheese very seriously. My Dad would freak out if he knew people threw out cheese. Thats why I always feel bad doing it. I think part of the reason I am not getting good shelf life out of it is because im not storing it right. I always use zip locks but your supposed to use wax paper.

I think part of the reason I am not getting good shelf life out of it is because im not storing it right. I always use zip locks but your supposed to use wax paper.

I never knew that. We very rarely get mold on our cheese but I might start doing that now so I don't forget if we ever make a habit of it.

Back