Saw this guy getting into the spirt, the skin suit is slimming
4etujuze.jpg

Did a quick 22 mile ride this afternoon, and my goal was to get it in under an hour. Came in at 1:01:27. I was flying, especially for a solo ride.

Did a quick 22 mile ride this afternoon, and my goal was to get it in under an hour. Came in at 1:01:27. I was flying, especially for a solo ride.

I'd need a lot of down hill to do that haha.

What sort of cadence do you ride at, and what does that equate to average speed wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What sort of cadence do you ride at, and what does that equate to average speed wise?

I usually try to average around a cadence of 85. MPH wise, that usually gets me in the 20mph range. Tonight, the speed was a bit skewed as my ride heading back North was aided by a pretty strong tail wind, that wasnt nearly as strong in my face when heading South.

I usually try to average around a cadence of 85. MPH wise, that usually gets me in the 20mph range. Tonight, the speed was a bit skewed as my ride heading back North was aided by a pretty strong tail wind, that wasnt nearly as strong in my face when heading South.

Ok thanks. Have just started - well about 4 weeks ago - cycling and training for my first triathlon (sprint length).

Have been trying to get to a cadence of 80 which gives me around 32-35kph.

Ok thanks. Have just started - well about 4 weeks ago - cycling and training for my first triathlon (sprint length).

Have been trying to get to a cadence of 80 which gives me around 32-35kph.

80 is a solid cadence. I push for 85, dont always hit it, but that's the number I try to average on my solo rides.

if you're trying to get your cadence up, which is really a good idea, there are lots of different drills/intervals you can do to train your legs for it. I had a coach for a couple of years that basically set me workouts for me every day. One of the things he had me do a lot in the early going was "fast pedal" intervals. You go into an easy gear and literally pedal as fast as you can for 30 seconds. Lightly spin for 2 minutes, then do it again. Make sure you're nice and warmed up first. I'd usually do 2 sets of 4 of these intervals in a ride. The resistance/speed during this interval isn't important. What's important is getting your cadence up (way over 100 hopefully) for that 30 seconds. It doesn't sound like much, but it's harder than you'd think if you haven't done it before. I'd usually be able to do about 120-125 while going about 10 mph :D. This really works, though. After doing these, you'll back it down and holding a cadence of 90 will seem easy.

Congrats! The Diva is a nice frame for sure. My wife's first road bike was an Orbea and she enjoyed it. Sounds like a pretty bullet-proff build. SRAM Force is a great group. What kind of wheels did you go with?

I got bontragers race lites, not necessarily the lightest but they were incredibly cheap, they sat at my local bike shop for years and I kept checking them out every time I went in and they finally just wanted them gone so they put them on sale and then gave me extra discount as well. I could sell the pair used for more than I paid for them new. Love my bike.

Next I want to build a steel commuter/touring bike. I'm short so finding frames has always been a challenge. What are people's thoughts about 650B wheels?

I got bontragers race lites, not necessarily the lightest but they were incredibly cheap, they sat at my local bike shop for years and I kept checking them out every time I went in and they finally just wanted them gone so they put them on sale and then gave me extra discount as well. I could sell the pair used for more than I paid for them new. Love my bike.

Next I want to build a steel commuter/touring bike. I'm short so finding frames has always been a challenge. What are people's thoughts about 650B wheels?

Race Lites were the first upgrade wheels I ever bought. They're reasonably light, have a high spoke count, so they're plenty tough for training. Nothing wrong with that wheelset at all. I don't have much experience with 650B, although I know it's starting to take off and tire choices are much better now than they were a few years ago. If you found a frame that fit you well and is in the budget you want, I'd say go for it.

Big event in Lakewood Ranch today. Have Cannondale out doing on site fittings and demos. About to take off on a 62 miler on one of their 2014 Evos. Should be a fun ride.

u2e4ubyb.jpg

Saw their big trailer out there while at dinner last night.
I really think they need a Class A Motorhome. Perhaps one is available nearby.

Saw their big trailer out there while at dinner last night.
I really think they need a Class A Motorhome. Perhaps one is available nearby.

Lol. Those dudes would love that, I bet. They are all over.

Lol. Those dudes would love that, I bet. They are all over.

Dont forget to carbo load before the ride. Michael Scott recommends fettucine alfredo.

80 is a solid cadence. I push for 85, dont always hit it, but that's the number I try to average on my solo rides.
Pardon my ignorance. I know what a cadence is, but is this played on an iPod or something like that? Is it music based? Is it variable? When I ride I find my speed fluctuates like crazy as my mind wanders

Cadence is related to speed...period!

Most people think that it is all about leg strength but that is false...many years ago I was a Cat 3 racer on a team in Louisiana (while in USAF)...my coach was an alternate for the Olympic team...every year before race season, we had to do what is called base miles...3 months of spinning (Jan-Mar)...due to LA winters I would spin in my house (trainer) during the week for an hour at above 100 (easiest gear)...when I rode outside during this time I would also stay in my easiest gear and spin...even when people went to their big CR and started to hammer...trust me when I say even tough i would get dropped on early rides in the season...when it came to race day I was usually in contention.

A good example is back when "bolt on" aero bars came out, a guy showed up with a set at the beggining of a training ride one day and offered to mount them on my race bars...I said "okay" I will try them...well from my base miles, my leg speed was such (and the combo of the good aero position) that every time it was time to pull the pack, I would drop the whole group as my speed would increase 3-5 mph...I have many other stories (not to bore you but to make my point) of where I rode with someone who in the gym could out squat me (like double the weight) and because of my leg speed (cadence) I could ride away from him any time I wanted...pissed him off repeatedly...LOL Just my 2 cents...oh and actual experience!

What are you looking for?

Something good that I won't have to upgrade if I start to take it more serious, but without having to spend a fortune. I love riding as it's no impact and with my feet that's all I can do at this point.

A local place has a huge sale on Cervelo's right now.

Pardon my ignorance. I know what a cadence is, but is this played on an iPod or something like that? Is it music based? Is it variable? When I ride I find my speed fluctuates like crazy as my mind wanders

Cadence is just your average rotations per minute. Have a small bike computer that calculates it for you as you ride and that way you know if you are working harder or less based on your cadence mph.

62 miles done. Route wasn't measured well and it ended up being 68 miles.

Brutal head wind going north, bit made the return a walk in the park.

How long that ride take? Any idea how many calories burned?

How long that ride take? Any idea how many calories burned?
Around 3 hours on the ride today. Averaged about 22-23 mph thanks to a nice tailwind on the way back.

Calories burnt was close to 3,200.

Around 3 hours on the ride today. Averaged about 22-23 mph thanks to a nice tailwind on the way back.

Nice - did an hour die on Saturday morning before my golf game. 27 kilometres at an average of 24.5kmh.

Building up to my first triathlon in December.

I've gotten in a couple of 30-minute rides on the trainer in the evening this week. Trying to take this biggest loser thing on seriously this time. It's not enough to cause dramatic weight loss, but hopefully will help my metabolism get going a little better. I was really hoping to get outside for 20 miles or so today, but now it looks like it will be the trainer again. Got a ride planned for Saturday morning, though...

Nice. I have been unable to get on my BMC for any rides for more than month now. I have done a few urban rides on my commuter, but nothing serious. I need to get my road legs back.

Back