Detachable Face Driver

hmm, turd on a stick...I'll pass

This thing looks like garbage. I showed it to a friend and he said it'd be good for smuggling illegal stuff across the border. I need new friends.

I dont disagree, but that leads to the biggest question, what is more important, marketing power or the product. If this company had a billion dollars, people might have heard of them. Im not taking anything away from TM at all, but lets face it, they could put a turd on a stick right now and people would line up for it when it pertains to drivers.
Because they have built a reputation of putting out good solid equipment, which took time to build. They didn't just start as a billion dollar company. The product is more important, but let's face it, I'm going to hear more about the bigger companies first because of the exposure and recognition they have. Which in turn means I am more likely to try their stuff than Ma & Pa Detachable Penis Face Technology Driver Club, LLC

Because they have built a reputation of putting out good solid equipment, which took time to build. They didn't just start as a billion dollar company. The product is more important, but let's face it, I'm going to hear more about the bigger companies first because of the exposure and recognition they have. Which in turn means I am more likely to try their stuff than Ma & Pa Detachable Penis Face Technology Driver Club, LLC

Again, I dont disagree. What I am saying is that we cannot discount the role that marketing plays.
If TaylorMade (or any other big company) puts this out, fans would be fawning all over it.
Small company, and it gets made fun of. It is what it is.

Demo Day at THP shows that each and every year.
Reputation and marketing = sales...Regardless of how good or bad the club is for an individual.

got that same email...*click* *delete*

yet i agree with JB on this one...
when TM comes out with the R13 driver with xFT, i'll want one.

I just dont see how it would lead to more distance?
I can understand the sound side of things, but that is a preference.

I wonder if I could fit my dog's squeaky toy in there. That be good for a laugh.

Again, I dont disagree. What I am saying is that we cannot discount the role that marketing plays.
If TaylorMade (or any other big company) puts this out, fans would be fawning all over it.
Small company, and it gets made fun of. It is what it is.

Demo Day at THP shows that each and every year.
Reputation and marketing = sales...Regardless of how good or bad the club is for an individual.
That we cannot, I agree.

Based on seeing this club for the first time in print, what are your initial thoughts? Is their marketing working?

That we cannot, I agree.

Based on seeing this club for the first time in print, what are your initial thoughts? Is their marketing working?

To some yes. Not to golfers that frequent internet forums though. It would not fly I dont think.

My biggest concern would be the face coming detached from the head mid-swing. That would lead to more distance - from the face flying off - but I'm leery of what the outcome of the ball flight would be.

However, like has been bandied about, if Nike, TM, or Ping came out with this concept, I'd certainly be intrigued. :disapointed:Admission: I'm sort of a brand-wh*re. :arrogant:

To some yes. Not to golfers that frequent internet forums though. It would not fly I dont think.
It hurts smaller companies that may have good equipment, but horrible exposure where you can get it in the hands of consumers at a large box store and they can hit it in the simulator. I see this product ending up in infomercial purgatory and no one really knows if it's gimmicky or good.

My biggest concern would be the face coming detached from the head mid-swing. That would lead to more distance - from the face flying off - but I'm leery of what the outcome of the ball flight would be.

However, like has been bandied about, if Nike, TM, or Ping came out with this concept, I'd certainly be intrigued. :disapointed:Admission: I'm sort of a brand-wh*re. :arrogant:
You also wouldn't worry about the face flying off because those companies stand behind their products and have solid reputations and equipment, thus taking your initial fears away.

I still don't get the idea, I mean how many people keep a driver long enough for the face to become "dead"? I know most of us would be keeping a driver a long time if it were in the bag for 2 years. I did like the idea someone had about a different shim to control the face angle and that would make sense to me. I am hoping they opt in for the demo day next year as I would certainly like to give it a swing or two.

How long before we see a adjustable driver where the loft can be change with ease, from as much as from say 8 up to 13 degree's? I thought a few years ago we would have seen this by now.

Like many have said "I'll play whatever if it makes me better" yet most never follow through on it. Sounds like the COR is right at the limit with this head, maybe that face flex gives a few more yds. How many of us would have been interested in an ML4 driver if we heard about it through an email.

Pure grips on the club too :p

I would be willing to bet though, that if a company such as Taylormade (only used because of innovation) came out with this driver and talked about changing the face or removing the face to find a sound that works for every golfer, guys would be lined up to test one out...hehe

You beat me to it JB. I was gonna say if this was the new R-12 XFT from Taylormade everybody would be allover it.

You beat me to it JB. I was gonna say if this was the new R-12 XFT from Taylormade everybody would be allover it.

While I typically would agree, I can't. The xFt on wedges showed a clear benefit...you could always have sharp grooves without breaking the bank for new wedges. I'm not sure what the benefit of this driver would be - regardless of manufacturer or marketing.

Tap before talk.

While I typically would agree, I can't. The xFt on wedges showed a clear benefit...you could always have sharp grooves without breaking the bank for new wedges. I'm not sure what the benefit of this driver would be - regardless of manufacturer or marketing.

Tap before talk.

So you dont think that if a major OEM marketed a new driver that said you can adjust the sound to your liking it would be a big hit?
I agree that this is kind of hokey, but I think that marketing rules in the end with certain things.
Look at the 910 drivers. Here we have a new driver that is a tinkers dream. Yet the company says "Dont tinker with it, or you might break it".

I got it too, looks interesting

I think it would come down to marketing for the average golfer. But to a well informed golfer, such as those of us here on THP, this concept really has no benefit. I should have doctored the picture with a TaylorMade logo to see if there was a different reaction.

I'm ready for balls with an exchangeable cover! Dozen balls $40, 100 pack of covers for $10.

I'm ready for balls with an exchangeable cover! Dozen balls $40, 100 pack of covers for $10.

I like my balls colored too!

So you dont think that if a major OEM marketed a new driver that said you can adjust the sound to your liking it would be a big hit?
I agree that this is kind of hokey, but I think that marketing rules in the end with certain things.
Look at the 910 drivers. Here we have a new driver that is a tinkers dream. Yet the company says "Dont tinker with it, or you might break it".

Touché, hokey or not - from my perspective I couldn't justify it, but I'm sure there are some others who place a lot more importance on sound than I.

Tap before talk.

Back